Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) Sound

maidencity

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1378753486' post='2204300']
I only know of Steve using a heavy precision, extremely heavy flats and trace elliott amplifiers - I've never seen him using pedals live :huh:
[/quote] Nor me I heard that he had his amps turned up so high that a roadie once strummed his bass with a plectrum and blew them I think Steve gets his sound from high volumes but just tickles the strings lightly maybe this how "his" sound is achieved?

Don't forget the Seymour Duncan P bass pickup too - Steve now has a signature model. This will help contribute to the sound I feel. I've two P basses with the same woods and different pickups and they both sound completely differerent to each other.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1378756822' post='2204385']
I remember reading a while back that that the only effect he has is the venerable dbx160(?)
[/quote]

According to Michael Kenney, they use the DBX for a balanced signal before the sound goes into the CA Audio pa amps, putting out about 500 watts that he uses. This goes into into 4 custom Marshall 4x12`s. He doesn`t use a bass amp as such and seemingly no effects.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1378926458' post='2206676']
It's all from his fingers.....

....and the 2 flightcases full of rack equipment he has. Someone had a decent pic of it a couple of years ago and managed to identify almost everything in there but don't ask me where the thread is now.
[/quote]

Here`s a not very good pic of his rig.

[attachment=143669:SAM_0690.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest despite all the fancy ness it really does come down to P Bass, Flats, a very mid focused tone, and those damned fingers of his! He plays those fast gallops with only 2 fingers, without warming up, day in and day out... I swear he must have a robotic hand sometimes. You could get a rough and dirty approximation with a Sansamp with the presence jacked through the roof and a little bit of drive. But it really is down to those fingers above all else.

There was an article on Steve in Bass guitar mag a good few months back now they also interviewed his roadie. I think he boosts the treble a bit and referenced his fingernails as key elements to his tone from memory, in addition to that mentioned above

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1378926458' post='2206676']
It's all from his fingers.....

....and the 2 flightcases full of rack equipment he has. Someone had a decent pic of it a couple of years ago and managed to identify almost everything in there but don't ask me where the thread is now.
[/quote]

That would of been me. I had a picture from Kevin Shirley's diary of Steve's recording and touring rig from Brave New World through to A Matter of Life and Death. as I'm a Steve Harris geek/nut/stalker, I've got details of pretty much all his rigs.

I'll do an era by era breakdown for you -

Soundhouse tapes - Killers: Peavey Mark III bass head, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets x2

Number of the Beast: Hiwatt 100 bass head, DBX 106VU compressor, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets x4

Piece of Mind - Powerslave: Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Pete Cornish switching system, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers

Somewhere in Time - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Pete Cornish switching system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Carvin power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

No Prayer for the Dying - Fear of the Dark (inc. Live at Donnington): Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 204 with Big Bottom, Pete Cornish switching system, Trace Elliot GP12SMX pre amp, Carvin power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

Virtual XI - X Factor: Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 204 with Big Bottom, Trace Elliot GP12SMX pre amp, Pete Cornish switching system, C-Audio SR707 power amps x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8 (MXR phaser was used on "Blood on the Worlds Hands" intro)

Brave New World - Nady wireless system, A Matter of Life and Death: Sony E100 SRP 31 band equaliser, Aphex Aural Exciter 106A, DBX 106VU x2 (side chained), Pete Cornish switching system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp, C-Audio SR707 power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

Final Frontier onwards: Nady wireless system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 106A, DBX 106VU x2, RSD power amp x6, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners ([b]2 custom 1u units I haven't identified yet but I'll update in a few minutes when I have dug out the magazine it has it in, from what I know, one of them is a noise gate though but i'll update as said[/b]), Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

For the "Steve Harris British Lion" stuff, he used a slightly different rig but this was only for the SHBL album/tour, he went back to the Final Frontier rig for the Maiden tours (eg Maiden England revisited). The SHBL studio and live rig was: Nady wireless system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, DBX 164 compressor, Ampeg SVT4-Pro head, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Ampeg SVT810 cabinets.

Basses: Mainly his 1972 Fender P bass which has seen 5 paint jobs (currently the West Ham colours but originally white, then black, then metallic blue, then black and white chequerboard but now West Ham colours), 1959 P bass in sparkle metallic red, Fender Signature P Bass, Another Fender signature P Bass with West Ham colours as a replica of the 72. Other basses he has used are a couple of Ibanez Roadsters (one was used on Run To the Hills), a couple of Lado basses (the Falcon and the Unicorn with the Unicorn being his signature Lado bass and was seen on the Aces High/2 Minutes to Midnight videos) then for acoustic basses he uses an Ovation Electro Acoustic (this is the bass used on the intro to Blood on the Worlds Hands, Clansman, Journey Man etc). A couple of other un-noted basses have been used over the years.

All his Precision Basses are loaded with Seymour Duncan pick ups, Badass II bridges, chrome brass pickguards and 250k pots. All basses have been loaded with his signature Rotosound Monel Flatwound strings (SH77 model number, 50-110 gauge) and have super low action to get that clanky sound. The tone pots on all his P basses are bypassed and he taps his nose to Michael Kenney (Iron Maiden's keyboardist and Steve's long time tech) to turn the treble up or down. This is mainly seen on "Maiden England 88".

He never warms up, just powders his fingers. His monitor mix on stage is just (and to quote Steve himself) "a smatterin' of toms with a smidge of me own vocals and bass".

Any other questions, please feel free to ask :)

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1381002077' post='2233333']
That would of been me. I had a picture from Kevin Shirley's diary of Steve's recording and touring rig from Brave New World through to A Matter of Life and Death. as I'm a Steve Harris geek/nut/stalker, I've got details of pretty much all his rigs.

I'll do an era by era breakdown for you -

Soundhouse tapes - Killers: Peavey Mark III bass head, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets x2

Number of the Beast: Hiwatt 100 bass head, DBX 106VU compressor, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets x4

Piece of Mind - Powerslave: Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Pete Cornish switching system, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers

Somewhere in Time - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Pete Cornish switching system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Carvin power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

No Prayer for the Dying - Fear of the Dark (inc. Live at Donnington): Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 204 with Big Bottom, Pete Cornish switching system, Trace Elliot GP12SMX pre amp, Carvin power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

Virtual XI - X Factor: Nady wireless system, DBX 106VU compressor x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 204 with Big Bottom, Trace Elliot GP12SMX pre amp, Pete Cornish switching system, C-Audio SR707 power amps x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8 (MXR phaser was used on "Blood on the Worlds Hands" intro)

Brave New World - Nady wireless system, A Matter of Life and Death: Sony E100 SRP 31 band equaliser, Aphex Aural Exciter 106A, DBX 106VU x2 (side chained), Pete Cornish switching system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp, C-Audio SR707 power amp x2, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Marshall JCM 800 4x12 cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

Final Frontier onwards: Nady wireless system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, Aphex Aural Exciter 106A, DBX 106VU x2, RSD power amp x6, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners ([b]2 custom 1u units I haven't identified yet but I'll update in a few minutes when I have dug out the magazine it has it in, from what I know, one of them is a noise gate though but i'll update as said[/b]), Marshall JCM 800 4x12 bass cabinets with Electro Voice M12L speakers x8

For the "Steve Harris British Lion" stuff, he used a slightly different rig but this was only for the SHBL album/tour, he went back to the Final Frontier rig for the Maiden tours (eg Maiden England revisited). The SHBL studio and live rig was: Nady wireless system, Electron HiWatt clone pre amp x2, Hiwatt Model 109 pre amp x2, DBX 164 compressor, Ampeg SVT4-Pro head, a couple of Korg DT-10 tuners, Ampeg SVT810 cabinets.

Basses: Mainly his 1972 Fender P bass which has seen 5 paint jobs (currently the West Ham colours but originally white, then black, then metallic blue, then black and white chequerboard but now West Ham colours), 1959 P bass in sparkle metallic red, Fender Signature P Bass, Another Fender signature P Bass with West Ham colours as a replica of the 72. Other basses he has used are a couple of Ibanez Roadsters (one was used on Run To the Hills), a couple of Lado basses (the Falcon and the Unicorn with the Unicorn being his signature Lado bass and was seen on the Aces High/2 Minutes to Midnight videos) then for acoustic basses he uses an Ovation Electro Acoustic (this is the bass used on the intro to Blood on the Worlds Hands, Clansman, Journey Man etc). A couple of other un-noted basses have been used over the years.

All his Precision Basses are loaded with Seymour Duncan pick ups, Badass II bridges, chrome brass pickguards and 250k pots. All basses have been loaded with his signature Rotosound Monel Flatwound strings (SH77 model number, 50-110 gauge) and have super low action to get that clanky sound. The tone pots on all his P basses are bypassed and he taps his nose to Michael Kenney (Iron Maiden's keyboardist and Steve's long time tech) to turn the treble up or down. This is mainly seen on "Maiden England 88".

He never warms up, just powders his fingers. His monitor mix on stage is just (and to quote Steve himself) "a smatterin' of toms with a smidge of me own vocals and bass".

Any other questions, please feel free to ask :)
[/quote]

Class

I play a japanese Fender Precision with a maple neck & a Seymour Duncan quaterpounder pickup strung with Rotosound flatwounds & it sounds (to my ears at least) very similar to Steve Harris' sound, regardless of what amp I put it through.

• 1 year later...

I've been a massive Steve Harris fan since I was a kid - been trying to figure out how to get his sound for years, though the sound does change through the albums. Definitely more middle going on pre somewhere in time - I think he must have used his Ibanez Roadster on a few of the tracks on Piece of Mind, I'm sure I can hear a jazz pick up there.

The bass pod xt has a hiwatt amp on it which I feel does a good job at emulating Steve's sound; Here a few samples, using my precision (with round wounds) Think the treble and high mid were turned to about 2-3 o'clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SSR3a6PwA
(The Duellists)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWL1EfHqq64
(Caught Somewhere in Time)

Using my Steve Harris precision strung with 50-110 rotosound flats and an SWR SM900 amp with quite a bit of boost at 900-1Khz area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgd4steuzo
(Revelations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4pTHncymo
(Infinite Dreams)

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1378753486' post='2204300']
I only know of Steve using a heavy precision, extremely heavy flats and trace elliott amplifiers - I've never seen him using pedals live :huh:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Yeah, he is the epitome of normal rock bass . Awesome player.