Why become a member? ×

Stage craft.....have you got it?

Leen2112

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1378812551' post='2204859']

I also try to remember to smile once in while as I usually (unconciously) look such a miserable git when I'm playing - or so I'm told. Recently I've had an annoying habit of holding my breath while playing. So 'mouth slightly open, show teeth' helps in both respects :D
[/quote]

Yup, me too - even though I'm having a good time I have to remember to smile as my face tends to look naturally a big grumpy.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1378812921' post='2204864']
There is a very fine line between putting on a show and looking like an arrogant tosser....

Rob
[/quote]

This is very true. How do you know though whether or not you are looking like a tosser? (By which I mean how does 'one' know, not you personally Rob :) )

It's funny how you can see one person on stage doing a load of moves and looking cool. Another person doing similar stuff looks completely naff.
Why is this?

I think it is something to do with whether you are a 'taking' or a 'giving' performer. The 'taking' perfomer is saying 'look at what I'm doing. Isn't it clever? Doesn't this make me look cool?' S/he is the one that inevitably ends up looking naff.
The 'giving' performer is saying 'Look at what I am doing to give you a good time and make you happy/excited/thrilled/scared. Hope you are enjoying it as much as me'. S/he is the one that gets the crowd on his/her side.

That's my theory anway. Based on what I learned at my mother's knee (she was a raging luvvie of course). :)

Edited by seashell

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1378815136' post='2204919']
This is very true. How do you know though whether or not you are looking like a tosser? (By which I mean how does 'one' know, not you personally Rob :) )
[/quote]

That's easy, I always look like a tosser...

It's funny how you can see one person on stage doing a load of moves and looking cool. Another person doing similar stuff looks completely naff.
Why is this?

I think it is something to do with whether you are a 'taking' or a 'giving' performer. The 'taking' perfomer is saying 'look at what I'm doing. Isn't it clever? Doesn't this make me look cool?' S/he is the one that inevitably ends up looking naff.
The 'giving' performer is saying 'Look at what I am doing to give you a good time and make you happy/excited/thrilled/scared. Hope you are enjoying it as much as me'. S/he is the one that gets the crowd on his/her side.

That's my theory anway. Based on what I learned at my mother's knee (she was a raging luvvie of course). :)
[/quote]

Exactly this... never really thought of it that way but this pretty much sums it up really...

Rob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1378812041' post='2204852']
If you aren't giving your audience something worth watching then why are you even bothering being on stage?
[/quote]

I've not ever had a venue that would let me play from the bogs, even when I bring my really long lead (I get nervous before gigs).

[/quote]

I went to see Dinosaur Jr last week and a band called The Computers were the support.
Their vocalist fitted into the 'taking' category quite well. Jumping about, climbing on the keyboard and crowd railing, and doing that annoying 'preaching to the audience' nonesense. He did loads of crowd interaction but it all seemed to be more to do with how cool he was than anything else.
It was just irritating after 2 songs

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1378816283' post='2204953'] and doing that annoying 'preaching to the audience' nonesense.
[/quote]
that pisses me off too, are they so arrogant that they think they can tell us what to think, they can suggest, which is ok but when I get preached too in a humourless way it just makes me think they're tossers

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1378932545' post='2206789']
I can't keep still for longer than 2 seconds. Im constantly moving, grooving, foot tapping and rock 'n' rolling.
[/quote]
Yeah me too, I used to have a few shapes, but I just move to the groove and forget I'm being watched most of the time now.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1378767259' post='2204584']
At the moment I have to confine myself to looking at the audience occasiinally and smiling. Or sometimes tossing my hair about if I'm feeling extra confident
Anything more than that and I would definitely start playing loads of bum notes
But one day I hope to be able to throw a few shapes :D
Takes practice I think..:-)
[/quote]

Ditto (without the hair bit though...)! I look around, look at the ceiling, my shoes, the drummer if I really have to. Almost anything but make eye contact with the audience.... I do occasionally tap my foot or move my weight from one leg to the other. Bill Wyman is a much bigger showman than me!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1378815783' post='2204939']
I've not ever had a venue that would let me play from the bogs, even when I bring my really long lead (I get nervous before gigs).
[/quote]

Wireless system is your friend - you can play anywhere you like :)

To answere the OP's question - depends how much space you have on stage and how many other band members are on stage with you.

I tend not to do much, maybe look up now and then, tap a foot, leave the wandering about to the others.

Currently in a band for work (we did a charity gig in April at the Voodoo Rooms here in Edinburgh) and we've been asked to play the works Xmas night out - venue is the Hub at the top of the Royal Mile - maybe an audience of 300+ colleagues to entertain :o

Visited the venue last week and the stage is pretty big, comes complete with a pulpit as a back drop :D

Haven't seen the vids on this thread yet. When I was gigging, I always did rock poses/acting the loon . This was basically to make sure I got rid of any gig nerves.
Every gig I played, people always commented on how much they enjoyed watching me . They said I was enjoying it. (I'm far from arrogant, just saying).
The thing is, there were gigs that I wern't enjoying as much, but. My enthusiasm made it look like I was.

Horses for courses, but it seems people enjoy seeing a lively live band ;)

I try to look like I'm enjoying myself, even on occasions when I'm not. I also look at the crowd and bandmates rather than my feet or the headstock of the bass. Not looking at what I was playing was a tricky habit to break on my initial gigs, but practice and muscle memory sorted this out over time.

Sadly, none of the stages I've played on ever afforded us much room, so my mate would take it into the crowd. Was always great seeing him working the crowd - a mixture of WTF from them and then he'd win 'em over.