Why become a member? ×

What have you got GAS for at the mo?

action_panzer

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1392057058' post='2364179']
Yes I did. I like Jazzes more than the Precision I sold to get the SG Std. I still want to have a long scale Fretted. I have a long scale Fretless Jazz, a short scale SG Std., and a Fretted Jazz, when it shows up that is. That rounds me out. B) I prefer Jazzes over Precisions, so for me it works OK to have the second Jazz.
[/quote]

Lovely GAS justification logic at work there, well done. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392073275' post='2364480']
Lovely GAS justification logic at work there, well done. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks man, it works for me. Jazzes, and Precisions are fairly similar, but the Jazz, to my lousy, old age, loud rock destroyed hearing, sounds more mellow, and a cleaner bottom. Recording sessions in Nashville worked out, and sounded better on the Jazz side of the street.

[quote name='Taria' timestamp='1392309942' post='2367157']
The ability to build my own effects pedals! Oh ok I can't buy that...so maybe all the bits and bobs to try to learn...along with time and patience...and perhaps some intelligence by the seems of things! :P
[/quote]
This is what I have decided to do this summer. I have asked for a few bits for my birthday. A bench power supply (though I am considering building my own), a new multimeter (my old one is dying and I would like one that can test capacitors), some breadboard and stock up on components such as vero board and some Maplins component lucky bags, to get me started. I shall order specific components based on what pedals I decide to build.

I am very happy with my current soldering iron, an Antex 18w (many will tell you that 25w is better, if my 18w ever breaks I might well try a 25w, though I have been using my current one since college), so I don't need to replace that at least. In all I will probably be splashing out about £150. But just to get started I think you can do it for less than £50. A soldering iron, a multimeter and some solder is all you need to build a kit. Any knowledge you need is easily come by on the internet for free.

I think it has a nice learning curve to it, it is very simple to get started, the most important thing is to practice soldering, that and being able to read instructions is all you need. You will learn more as you experiment and experiment the more you learn. I was lucky enough to do electronics in college twenty odd years ago, but I was doing the sort of stuff needed to build pedals way before that starting when I was in middle school.

There is a DIY pedal thread on BassChat that is very interesting and informative.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1390951602' post='2351767']
A 5 string of equal if not greater standing than my MM Sub. And a matamp. Both chronic conditions I'm afraid.
[/quote]

I have maturing GAS which has me hankering badly for a Carvin XB with a quilt maple blue burst top and black hardware.

Similar to this: