Why become a member? ×

Best compact and lightweight cabinet for live use??

flameboy87

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to upgrade my bass cabinet but while also upgrading I would also like something that would be smaller and compact and secondly, but not as important, lightweight.

I will be using it for cover gigs but also wish to use my 5 string with it to play some heavier bass tones with effects etc...

The had I am using at the moment is a trace elliot pre with a 600 watt crown poweramp (@ 4ohm)

Any suggestions welcome :D

Kinda depends how compact and how light you're thinking.

My personal favourite small light cabs (that are still in production) are the Bergantino CN212 - has lots of bottom end, 4 ohms so draws full power from your amp, is well made and looks classy.

For a 1x12 I prefer the Aguilar SL112 to the Berg CN112 but both are good.

Depends on your budget and how long you can wait (Barefaced). Schroeder do some really good compact cabs which are often available on here 2nd hand. I'd go for something 4ohm if I was you. Tecamp EBS and Epifani are good also. There's a lot to choose from.

Edited by Japhet

Another Barefaced endorsement here. :) If remotely possible I would try to have a listen to various types before buying as they have different character. One of the local bass bashes would be a good place - are you anywhere near Surrey on 21st?

My list would be

Berg CN112x2
Aguilar DB112x2 ( on the basis that my DB212 is a brilliant cab )
and possibly SL112x2.

And as an outsider, I'd have a closer look at TKS, possibly EAD but the latter 2 would be harder to
find or hear..

Vanderkley as well....

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1378574216' post='2202033']
Your title includes the answer. Honestly, it does... :)
[/quote]

You want a 'smaller cab' - but smaller than what?
In any case there will be a Barefaced cab that suits your purpose, if not your pocket.

Edited by discreet

For a "live" cab I'd say Schroeder and I have owned a few cabs including a Barefaced Compact. Seemed to sit better in the band mix for me and was bomb proof. I've never used one but the Barefaced Super 12T does look like a great cab too but not as small & compact as the Schroeder 1212L. For a one cab solution that's lightweight but not ultra-lightweight (still a one man carry) I'd suggest a a Schroeder 410L.

Edited by largo

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='stinson' timestamp='1378577165' post='2202089']
Barefaced Compact all the way.
[/quote]

+1 great all round cab so long as you don't need tweeter/horn sizzle. Will be hugely loud with 600 watts despite being 8 ohm.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1378583842' post='2202205']
A Schroeder 1212 would be a good choice, and I believe there is one on here at present up for grabs. Or the BF Compact as already recommended.
[/quote]
Another vote for the Schro, sits brilliantly in a live mix and provides really good on stage monitoring into the bargain.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1378643665' post='2202663']
+1 great all round cab so long as you don't need tweeter/horn sizzle. Will be hugely loud with 600 watts despite being 8 ohm.
[/quote]

The Crown won't deliver 600 watts to an 8 ohm cab. Probably 400ish but yes, it should be loud.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1378648889' post='2202738']
The Crown won't deliver 600 watts to an 8 ohm cab. Probably 400ish but yes, it should be loud.
[/quote]

Yeah that was kind of what I meant.

I'm gonna chime in here. First, note that I am a Hartke endorser, more because I have known Larry since the 1980's, drink beer and shots with him occasionally, and I also have owned and used one of the early Hartke/Guild cabs since the early days.

The Hartke HyDrive 112 (1X12) with switchable impedance (4 or 8 ohm) is very light and can give you all the sounds and more. It translates the B string on my Brubaker Brute extremely well, especially at lower volumes. I use two different rigs for lightweight right now. My Vivid VTouch 2180 amp (180W into 4Ohm per channel, 400W into 4 or 8Ohm bridged) with either my Hartke HyDrive 112 or with a Vintage Cerwin Vega Dan Armstrong 210G open backed Hot Cab. The Cerwin Vega cab is maybe super light I know it weighs under 20 lbs. The HyDrive is similar.

The Hartke HyDrive 112 is built to take a beating, which is a plus. Its also workingman affordable.

My two pence...

I would suggest TKS.
As you use a 5 string and still want to have a small and lightweight cabinet.
I know there are plenty of good cabs around but Tommy at TKS have always helped me out and brought the best option when I wanted to get a specific sound from the rig.The best thing with his cabs I think is their verastility.Warm sound,deep controlled bass,a perfect mix of studio-monitor and rock/blues/metal bass cabs.
www.tks.se