Why become a member? ×

Hard choice - the "definitive" tube amp!

Matte_black

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378553949' post='2201744']
Never tried one, heard a lot of good things about it BUT one in good conditions isn't much cheaper than a GT200 :)
[/quote]

I thought this was about the definitive tube amp though? The Mesa is up there with the contenders, so are a few Ampegs. Don't discount the obvious choices (and re price, I've seen 400+s go for under £500).

This is mine:

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/Matamp_zps76e8c9ce.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/Matamp_zps76e8c9ce.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I've had a variety of tube, S/S and hybrid amps over the years but I can honestly say that (1) I've never heard anything as lush as this Matamp, and (2) I've never had so many unsolicited compliments about my tone from fellow band members, from other musicians, and from punters.

I play simple 70s type rock & pop & blues in London pubs and I'm barely scraping the surface of what it can do in terms of volume and/or breaking up. Even at my low-ish volumes the bass feels like bathing in chocolate.

I play exclusively through Barefaced cabs, which are seriously loud. I'm currently using a Compact and Midget stack which is totally uncoloured, but I'm collecting my 69er next week.

It took a fair bit of negotiation but they finally agreed to build me an example of a GR120 which weighs just 18Kg.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that Matamp are lovely people and exceptionally fine valve-amp makers, but they are utterly crap at selling / marketing / dealing with new customers / meeting deadlines / keeping customers informed.

They are NOT alone in that by any manner of means, and it didn't stop me from buying from them (I had help), but you should factor that into your thinking.

Buying a Mesa means making a phone call and having your credit card to hand. Simples.

Buying a Matamp means engaging with the company (once a week ideally!), getting to know the people (a bit, anyway), contributing to the design (all Matamps are at least slightly customised as far as I can see), negotiating over weight and finish (Jeff really likes to ensure that you get exactly what you want) ... in short, becoming part of the process rather than just being "a guy with some money".

Quite apart from the glorious sound, I now feel far more "committed" to my amp. It really is [i][b]mine[/b][/i], rather than something I bought one day and will sell one day.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1378557578' post='2201795']
This is mine:

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/Matamp_zps76e8c9ce.jpg.html"][/url]

I've had a variety of tube, S/S and hybrid amps over the years but I can honestly say that (1) I've never heard anything as lush as this Matamp, and (2) I've never had so many unsolicited compliments about my tone from fellow band members, from other musicians, and from punters.

I play simple 70s type rock & pop & blues in London pubs and I'm barely scraping the surface of what it can do in terms of volume and/or breaking up. Even at my low-ish volumes the bass feels like bathing in chocolate.

I play exclusively through Barefaced cabs, which are seriously loud. I'm currently using a Compact and Midget stack which is totally uncoloured, but I'm collecting my 69er next week.

It took a fair bit of negotiation but they finally agreed to build me an example of a GR120 which weighs just 18Kg.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that Matamp are lovely people and exceptionally fine valve-amp makers, but they are utterly crap at selling / marketing / dealing with new customers / meeting deadlines / keeping customers informed.

They are NOT alone in that by any manner of means, and it didn't stop me from buying from them (I had help), but you should factor that into your thinking.

Buying a Mesa means making a phone call and having your credit card to hand. Simples.

Buying a Matamp means engaging with the company (once a week ideally!), getting to know the people (a bit, anyway), contributing to the design (all Matamps are at least slightly customised as far as I can see), negotiating over weight and finish (Jeff really likes to ensure that you get exactly what you want) ... in short, becoming part of the process rather than just being "a guy with some money".

Quite apart from the glorious sound, I now feel far more "committed" to my amp. It really is [i][b]mine[/b][/i], rather than something I bought one day and will sell one day.
[/quote]

Damn, I want a Matamp now :rolleyes:

Great post Jack, being committed to your gear is important. Bit like a relationship, you get more out of it when you're not always looking elsewhere for something more.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378558157' post='2201800']
Great post Jack, being committed to your gear is important. Bit like a relationship, you get more out of it when you're not always looking elsewhere for something more.
[/quote]

And I'm not unaware of how hypocritical that sounded :D

Uhm... I see the 400+ going for big money down here, maybe I should wait for one at the right price before going custom?
Happy Jack: thanx for explaining how things go... i know that kind of stuff as I'm on the other side of the "wall", usually (I build basses on order). Do you have any rough idea of how long they'd take to make my custom amp come true, eventually?

Mine took nearly six weeks from initial discussion to delivery, but that was (1) starting from a pre-built chassis which Matamp already had on the bench and (2) with help from a friend who is quite close to these guys.

If they had nothing else to do but build my amp for me, it would have been ready in days. On the other hand, if I hadn't been lucky it could have taken months.

Like any good craftsmen, these guys have worked stacked up all around them, and people queuing at the door.

You pays yer money and you takes yer chance. :rolleyes:

If it's 2-4 months... no problem, I know how things work. I could probably make a bass in 15 days but I always fix deadlines remembering how many instruments I have to build first and how many things can go wrong in the process...
Any idea of the custom options? While they reply to my message. :lol:

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378548579' post='2201666']
Thanx... I've owned many tube amps and preamps and one of the "best" sounds I've heard came from a Demeter thru the power section of a Trace Twin Valve (120w with 2 KT88s). But I was looking for something a bit less transparent and moore "tubey", would prefer to get an amp instead of a preamp+power amp since they're not easy to match both electrically and mechanically :lol:
[/quote]

Both Jule & Demeter have integrated solutions now but all feature a class D power amp. I have to say i've heard nothing but good about these power amps and they are not supposed to sound at all 'clinical' or thin.

From Jule it's available with the Monique in either standalone or rackmount form and James Demeter has it available with the HBP1 or the VTB201, both are rackmount though.

Demeter also have a new power amp that looks like a killer. It's a 1600w 1U rackmount that "uses tubes and Jensen transformers to drive a high quality class D power amp". I haven't heard this so hard to say how good it is but it weighs just 11lbs!

The two new Mesa heads look interesting as well :)

The Prodigy is 250w and weighs 29lbs whilst the Strategy ups the power to 465w and weight to 49 lbs.

The Prodigy looks like a bit of a winner to me. 250 valve watts should be pretty loud, it's surprisingly small and light and it has a funky half power switch so you can use it in a studio environment at 125w (the Strategy has this feature as well).

Release of these has been really delayed though - should have been out middle of lsat year I think.

Not sure how I would pick out the 'definitive' valve amp. I'd guess my ideal amp would be a Trace V8 or a Sunn 300T but they are impossible to find and even if you do they are bloody expensive.

I have a Trace V6 which is a bloody great amp, but doesn't really break up at all compared to an Orange or Matamp. It really depends on what you actually want.

In terms of new non-custom amps (ie Matamp), I'd probably look at the Ampeg SVT Heritage and Fender Super Bassman. The massive delays on the Mesas are not exactly encouraging, also I am not a fan of the cosmetics, so I would probably just pick a Big Block 750 over them even though it isn't all valve.

I frankly think that the Demeter is one of the best preamps ever made BUT it's not what I'm looking for at the moment.
The SVT2 had a very "3D" tone... very thick but an exceptional mids complexity. Never played thru something as nice. But the power section wasn't as strong as I expected.
I'd like something with the same quality of tone, 4 and 8 ohm... if it's lighter - even better but I can live with a 30kg amp if the tone is worth it.

Someone just posted this to my Facebook wall:

[quote]Matamp are having clearance sale, which include some interesting 2nd hand & new stock. If your interested in any of the following contact Jeff at the factory by telephone:

Matamp stock clearance; new, custom, refurbished and
commission equipment
1. 4 x AC30 customs. 6 or 4 input variants. 2 black, 2 tan. Hand wired customspecced
transformers, traditional diamond pattern tolex. Each loaded with 2
Celestion Alnico Blue drivers. Unbadged, but VOX logo sanctioned and available if
required. £1,500 each.
2. SOLD
3. Matamp 4 x 12 Bass cabinet, late 1990s, pre-owned, Fane loaded bargain £300.
4. Matamp 1 x 8 enclosure. No frills at £35.
5. Harry Joyce 4 x12 Hiwatt style cabinet. Loaded with rare, cast basket Fane
drivers. Stunning tone well worth £1,000.
7. Matamp GT1224 prototype with 5 way footswitch. Switchable 25w to 50w output.
Was £1,700, now £1,000.
12. Marble Amps, boutique, US style 40w, 4 x 10 combo, twin channel finished in
tweed. Was £2,000, now £1,300.
15.[b] Rare Matamp factory collection 400w bass head, aluminium chassis, single
channel, 1 off prototype, loaded with either 8 x KT88 or 8 x 6550s tubes. Was
£2,500, now £1,500. Unique.[/b]
16. 2 Matamp 1 x 12 flat, Bergentino style cabinets, 1 loaded with compression
driver, the other not. Each can handle 400w. Were £350, now £150 each.
19. Matamp Harry Joyce 1 off custom 15w head. Was £995, now £500.
21. Commission sale. Prototype, British built Ashdown 100w head with 4 x 12
cabinet. Pre-owned by ‘Warm’ from Bradford. From £1,800 to £900. No spilt.
22. Matamp refurbished 100w reverb head. Pre-owned by Andy Powell of Wishbone
Ash. From £1,200 to £800 for a bit of history.
24. Matamp Kingstreet mk II 15w/25w switchable head, finished in black and white.
Brand new, last of the line. £799. Was £950.
25. Matamp. Last 20 of the current line of brand new Mini Pro 4W attenuator heads.
Were £409, now £350 each. Get them while you can.
30. Commission sale. Hiwatt Trinity 50w head (early 80s) and front loaded 4 x12
cabinet. No split.£600.
31. Pre-owned Carlsboro TC100 valve head (as used by Bill Nelson) from early 80s.
£200.
32. Roost 120w head (modified Matamp GT120). Refurbished. Was £1,200, now
£550.
33. German boutique. 3 x THC Sunset 40w heads, 2 x 4 x 12 Celestion Century
Vintage cabinets. Call.[/quote]

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378579956' post='2202152']
Do you remember what options they offered when you ordered yours?
[/quote]

It's less options and more a case of they want to help you get what you want from your amp I felt. The only thing I wanted, but they said no to, was the light up logo, as they said they had stopped doing it as it created too much noise at times.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378547265' post='2201633']
I'm trying to get more informations about the 427 and CTM300... Ashdown site doesn't really carry a lot of informations :huh:
[/quote]
I agree with you there, think it'd be a more get on the phone or email type job with those amps!

I'm trying to imagine what use anyone would have for a 400W valve amp. I may be mistaken but I'm guessing that will be a tad loud?

I'm only slightly tongue in cheek here - how many venues exist where it makes sense to crank up a 400W valve amp?

Taking my 100W to pub gigs, I can at least imagine (dream of) playing the Shephers Bush Empire or something and being able to crank my Matamp.

But 400W?

People have invaded Middle Eastern states for less than that ...