Why become a member? ×

Hard choice - the "definitive" tube amp!

Matte_black

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1378621799' post='2202405']
Can't believe noone's mentioned Mesa Boogie Bass 400+!
[/quote][quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378548730' post='2201669']
Still some obvious names missing :D
[/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1378552781' post='2201731']
Let me guess - Mesa 400+? ;-)
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378555783' post='2201769']
I thought this was about the definitive tube amp though? The Mesa is up there with the contenders, so are a few Ampegs. Don't discount the obvious choices (and re price, I've seen 400+s go for under £500).
[/quote]

Bit late where you are Kiwi? I was kinda mentioning it without mentioning it all long really anyway :D

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378623689' post='2202416']
Bit late where you are Kiwi? I was kinda mentioning it without mentioning it all long really anyway :D
[/quote]
Yeah...I must be going senile thanks to all this London air.

I'm really surprised noone's mentioned the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ either.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1378557578' post='2201795']
The bad news is that Matamp are lovely people and exceptionally fine valve-amp makers, but they are utterly crap at selling / marketing / dealing with new customers / meeting deadlines / keeping customers informed.

[/quote]

I can understand why you might say this, but you also have to understand the nature of the Matamp beast. Jeff has entered into marketing/distribution deals in the past and has ended up being burned and loosing control of the Matamp name in foreign territories. Although they have recently been discussing distribution, I'm not party to whether this will materialize. I think Jeff Lewis is quite happy running his business as he does, Dave Green was not and left.

My Matamp story has by enlarge been a good one. I found Matamp through this forum and started out speaking to a London agent, but it became ridiculous putting every question through him so I spoke to the factory direct, and they have never been less than excellent with me. I'm not sure if the London guy is still operating. His site is out there, but it's pointless speaking to him.

You have to understand that Matamp are a handful of blokes in a shed in Yorkshire, and they will behave as you would expect blokes in a shed to behave. That said, if you are ordering from Matamp, the more you put in the more you get out. I should imagine if you ordered and waited for it to arrive you'd have a long wait. I got involved with mine and things went as expected, plus I got to know the guys, so there's a warm fuzziness I doubt you would get with any other Amp builder. In owning one you become a member of an exclusive club where you feel you are mates with the builders and can pop in for a cup of tea. I think for clubby forumites like us, that is a big plus.

I could not say whether Matamp are the definitive valve amp or not. I love mine, but I've played Ampeg and Orange and they were pretty bloody good too. But I doubt owning one could give you that Matamp feeling.

They are certainly in the top 5, and perhaps the top 3?

Anyway, here's a thread on my recent experience at the factory..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210884-matamp-customer-service/page__hl__matamp%20customer"]http://basschat.co.u...tamp%20customer[/url]

And my baby..

Well... a good thing is that having 8 big tubes will make them last for years and years... the SVT2 I had was from '92 and still working with original tubes. And of course you can even use very poor sensitivity cabs without worries. But yes, for most situations a 200w is already big enough. But damn, that thing is sexy.

Well it's likely going to cost you more than £1500 for a new GT200 the list is £1799 but if you start comparing to second hand ones you can pick them up around £1200 but generally only the MK1 models.

Also SVT's are not as loud as the GT200 and I've had a Mesa 400+ also not as loud as a GT200

Uh... I'd literally love to have it but... I'll never ever need half of that power in my life and the biggest cab I own is a vertical 4x10" I've made... and it's already too big for the trunk of my Alfa Romeo. :blush:

Any way to compare the Matamp to Webers?

Edited by Matte_black

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378722460' post='2203571']
Uh... I'd literally love to have it but... I'll never ever need half of that power in my life and the biggest cab I own is a vertical 4x10" I've made... and it's already too big for the trunk of my Alfa Romeo. :blush:

Any way to compare the Matamp to Webers?
[/quote]

You should ask Bertbass,he's just sold one...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210788-mywatt-200-sold/page__hl__weber__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210788-mywatt-200-sold/page__hl__weber__fromsearch__1[/url]

Any questions on CTM's etc just shout, also you guys are aware we run a UK Custom Shop on site at the Farm in Essex? We often have people come down to tune and tweak their amps when they want something very particular, it's great fun and Dave Green really enjoys nailing exactly what someone is after. Also nice to know as a customer that your amp sounds like your amp and different to everyone elses, thats the beauty in making things in the UK as far as we're concerned. Also done quite a lot of crazy finishes over the years too

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1378722063' post='2203561']
The 400w prototype pumps out 540w clean before you introduce any distortion to it so if you're buying it you need to have some serious cabs to take what is going to come out of that amp.
[/quote]

with a little help from someone it did ;)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1378758457' post='2204425']
Any questions on CTM's etc just shout, also you guys are aware we run a UK Custom Shop on site at the Farm in Essex? We often have people come down to tune and tweak their amps when they want something very particular, it's great fun and Dave Green really enjoys nailing exactly what someone is after. Also nice to know as a customer that your amp sounds like your amp and different to everyone elses, thats the beauty in making things in the UK as far as we're concerned. Also done quite a lot of crazy finishes over the years too
[/quote]

I'd love to know the exact details of any of your all valve bass heads, especially what you could do in terms of customisations?

Great to see brands still chiming in every now and then on here :)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1378758457' post='2204425']
[/quote]

I always love it when manufacturers chime in on here :)

In regards to this thread could the head that was bought have a DI added to allow for a gigging situation? That would seem to solve the OPs problem as far as I can tell :)