Why become a member? ×

Hard choice - the "definitive" tube amp!

Matte_black

Hello there! I'm sure on this forum there are lots of expert in this field... hope I'll find a few answers.

I'm getting old (well, in some way) and I'm really trying to find my "definitive" amp and bass. I build basses and have my own, personal axe... but when it comes to amps and cabs the story is a bit different...

I actually own a few tube amps and I can't see myself going back to SS, really. I own an 80s Hiwatt Bass 100, a Marshall VBA400 and just got an old Roost 100w (but it's at my tech's workshop for a checkup).

They respectively work with 8/16, 2/4 and 4/8/16 ohm impedances and I own 4 cabs: a vertical 4x10" (4Ohm), an 1x12" (8Ohm), an 1x10" (8Ohm) and a crappy 1x15" I've put together with scrap stuff, I left it at my drummer house for rehearsals.

I'd like to keep 1, maybe 2 amps and sell the rest (possibly the amp should work with the same impedances). The used market offers so many nice amps... the Orange AD200, the Weber Mywatt 200 and 400, the SVT2 (already owned one, the non-pro), the Aguilar DBs... and there are also a few "new" models like the Ashdown 427 and Drophead 200, the newer AD200 etc. but for that kind of money I'm really considering getting a Matamp GT200.

I'm not only interested in sound and reliability but also want something well built and easy to check/repair. Something loud enough for most situations (using only one cab), not very interested in complicated controls... a 3 bands eq. would be fine. A good DI is also a plus. 4 and 8ohm would be great... and if doesn't weigh more than 25kg - even better.

I have no way to find out how the new Ashdown heads are on the inside... of course they're built on PCB or "turrets", like the Orange. While Weber and Matamp should be point-to-point, so more reliable on the long term.

If I really sell two of my amps I can probably count on a budget of £1400 or so. A big plus is that Matamp also allows custom options on the enclosure... a big plus for me.
I mostly use passive basses and would like something with a strong character, warm and with a good overdrive tone (when needed). I play with a pick, in tapping and with my thumb (palm muting).

What do you guys recommend? I'm not in the UK or in Germany so can't really go and try a Matamp or a Weber. Is there another custom builder to check? I'd like to take one of the amps made by my tech but he only builds 100w ones, could be a bit too small for something I plan to keep for a lifetime. I've watched dozens of clips on youtube and they all sound pretty good. :ph34r:
I'm not in rush, I could just go and buy one but I'd rather sell at least one amp to finance the new project. Thanx in advance! :happy:

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378506571' post='2201394']
I have no way to find out how the new Ashdown heads are on the inside... of course they're built on PCB or "turrets", like the Orange. While Weber and Matamp should be point-to-point, so more reliable on the long term.
[/quote]

PCB and turret are different things, you can have turrets on a pcb, or an amp built on strips with turrets on. current Orange are plain PCB. Some Ashdowns are on turrets on PCB, most are PCB. Weber aren't point to point and no Matamp are point to point, some Matamp are PCB, some are turret, and standard modern ones are on pcb with turrets. Point to point isn't inherently reliable, pretty much the opposite. Reliability is down to the quality not the construction method. Serviceability is down to construction and design, turret on PCB is probably best for ease of service and reliability.

Matamp are always great, so many people rate them and they are very accommodating, as things stand I'm looking to get my first ever all valve head in the near future and I'm VERY impressed by the Ashdown CTM300. I'm in no way clued up enough to answer your post fully, luckily the ever present and vastly knowledgeable Mr Foxen has chipped in already!

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378508303' post='2201410']
Mr. Foxen, thanx for sheding light on the construction methods... Could you rate those amps in terms of reliability and quality?
[/quote]

Not really specific enough. Modern Orange are cheap low bidder devices. Only high end ashdown I've been in was a Matamp type build/design anyway. With Matamp, valve reliability is going to overshadow most other considerations. Lots of build quality examples and such of amps in my blog and facebook page.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1378507155' post='2201401']
Matamp are always great, so many people rate them and they are very accommodating, as things stand I'm looking to get my first ever all valve head in the near future and I'm VERY impressed by the Ashdown CTM300. I'm in no way clued up enough to answer your post fully, luckily the ever present and vastly knowledgeable Mr Foxen has chipped in already!
[/quote]

I'm trying to get more informations about the 427 and CTM300... Ashdown site doesn't really carry a lot of informations :huh:

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378547265' post='2201633']
I'm trying to get more informations about the 427 and CTM300... Ashdown site doesn't really carry a lot of informations :huh:
[/quote]

'Ashdown' and 'definitive tube amp'? To my mind there's a few names conspicuous by their absence in this thread :rolleyes:

This may be a bit off the wall as a suggestion but have you looked at the Jule Monique pre-amps?

I heard one recently and was blown away by it. Ran it through the power section of an Aguilar Tone Hammer TH500 and a DB750.

They get consistent rave reviews on Talkbass in the States - I don't think I've ever seen so many universally great reviews.

Of course it's only a pre-amp but could be matched with valve power amp.

Jule offers them with a Demeter 800w power amp but it's not valve. I've ordered the integrated version called the De-Monique, should be here in about 4-5 weeks :)

I should add that I help part time in a retailer that's importing these into the UK but that's nothing to do with why I'm suggesting they are worth considering. I've owned an SVTII non-pro and Aguilar DB750 and I have really struggled with the weight of these. I think the Monique will be he answer for me and am hoping, after a long quest, to have found my 'perfect' amp :)

Thanx... I've owned many tube amps and preamps and one of the "best" sounds I've heard came from a Demeter thru the power section of a Trace Twin Valve (120w with 2 KT88s). But I was looking for something a bit less transparent and moore "tubey", would prefer to get an amp instead of a preamp+power amp since they're not easy to match both electrically and mechanically :lol:

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1378548145' post='2201653']
LOL. Well, I owned a Little Bastard and it seemed pretty well made... of course I don't think it's in the same league of Matamp but could be good. :happy:
[/quote]

OK, but 'pretty well made' and 'definitive' are some distance apart :rolleyes:

Let me list the amps I've owned and what I didn't like about them...

Ampeg SVT2 (non-pro): nicest sound but very heavy, worked with 4-2ohm and to be honest wasn't as loud as I thought.

Trace VA350: very well made but worked 4-2ohm and I hated the GP preamp. The tube one was already better but it lacked controls

Marshall VBA400: sounds nice and is really powerful but... usual impedance (4-2), very wide chassis, the preamp isn't easy to manage IMHO

Trace Twin Valve: very light, worked with 4 and 8ohms, very powerful for the declared power but I still hated the preamp LOL

Ashdown Little Bastard: very nice, worked with 4 and 8 ohm but of course it lacked volume. A 120w version would be nice but...

Hiwatt Bass 100: very nice, 8 and 16 Ohm (shame it doesn't work at 4), very loud and not too heavy. But the preamp isn't 100% what I'm looking for, even if I think it's a great amp. The pcb construction feels a bit fragile but the head is 30 years old and still kicks asses.