Why become a member? ×

RIM Custom Basses 5 String

Snakey Lane

[quote name='Snakey Lane' post='501807' date='May 30 2009, 06:04 PM']And then there were strings :)[/quote]

I got to see your beast yesterday when i popped up to RIM towers yesterday and it looks amazing. Everything about it screams perfection and class. Cant wait to announce mine when the time is right. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Zach' post='507403' date='Jun 7 2009, 10:24 AM']That's one pretty bass you got there! I was just wondering if you knew the reasons behind the strange arrangement for both the tuners and tail piece, since I'm guessing it's more than aesthetics.[/quote]
Sorry, I've been off line for a while. Robbie would have to say if there is anything more than looks involved - but for me it was the looks that mattered :-)

Latest from Robbie is that a couple of coats of varnish have gone on. Not long to wait now.

Edited by Snakey Lane

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Zach' post='507403' date='Jun 7 2009, 10:24 AM']I was just wondering if you knew the reasons behind the strange arrangement for both the tuners and tail piece, since I'm guessing it's more than aesthetics.[/quote]

The tuners were Robbie's idea - they look cool and allow a nice break angle over the nut. The tailpiece was an evolution of Robbie's fishtail design - I didn't want the fishtail but I liked the concept of embedding the tailpiece in the body for maximum transfer of resonance. I also wanted the bass to have two points that it could stand on as I don't tend to use stands, so that would stop it falling over. Plus as my bass is a 36" scale I wanted the bridge as close to the end of the body as possible to keep the overall length down. Robbie tweaked my initial idea and that's how it came out. Looks even better in person!

The 'baby sister' is looking great!

Alex

[quote name='Snakey Lane' post='603608' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:10 PM']So, 15 months after commissioning the bass, and after a lot of excellent crafstmanship from Robbie, today I collected it from Robbie. It is A-MAZING. More photos to follow soon.[/quote]

Hey Snakey, it looks great!

Had mine 4 years now.
Not had to have the Truss rod tweeked once.
If yours is anything like mine, the necks are rock solid.
Enjoy. :)

Garry

[quote name='Snakey Lane' post='603608' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:10 PM']So, 15 months after commissioning the bass, and after a lot of excellent crafstmanship from Robbie, today I collected it from Robbie. It is A-MAZING. More photos to follow soon.[/quote]

Awesome! Will it be coming to the SE Bass Bash to meet its big brother?

Alex