Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK

vmaxblues

Hi All,

I just picked up a beautiful Japanese ATK500 Koa top on this forum, and I can see why they call it the Stingray killer! killer tone, real bite.

This is the one:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215726-sold-koa-topped-japanese-ibanez-atk-500ka-4-string-l225/page__p__2191751__hl__atk__fromsearch__1#entry2191751

I am not a fan of the look of the ATK range, but the playability and tone of these beasts is awesome.

What do you guys reckon to the ATK range.

I love ATK's! I own the left-handed ATK300 and ATK305 in my avatar (and have owned another ATK300 just like it for lower tunings) and they're great workhorses. I own a Stingray 5 too, but I'd say the ATK's are equally dependable, and they play and sound great. I like the contrast with other Ibanez ranges of basses (especially the Soundgear): they're big, heavy, have huge but comfortable necks. Wide range of tones too! I love 'em :)

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/de_slager/media/Basses/Ibanez%20ATK/ATK3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/de_slager/Basses/Ibanez%20ATK/ATK3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/de_slager/media/Basses/Ibanez%20ATK/ATK5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/de_slager/Basses/Ibanez%20ATK/ATK5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Love 'em :)

Used to have an ATK300IPT, but in the end it was just too heavy and chunky necked for me. Awesome basses though and sound great. I was doga pro panto one year, and the sound guy said if sounded way better FOH than either my USA Jazz or yamaha TRB!

They really are superb basses
A real bargain of a bass for that money IMO

I'm a big fan of Ibanez
I used to own an old Japanese built Roadster and that was great
I now own several basses, but the soundgear SR500 is my firm fave
One of my other basses is an Ibanez electro-acoustic and that's loverly too - and just over £200 was a bargain!

Well done on your purchase - lucky you :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1378899314' post='2206184']
I always wanted an old japonese ATK305, i've almost snagged one on e-bay but missed the end of the auction... one day... one day!
[/quote]

Hope you can get one soon :)

I've heard many people rave about the quality & playability of Japanese built early Ibanez basses
I know my Roadster was great
To my mind, Ibanez seem to produce the most consistently high quality results
I've got to say it, but I don't think I've ever played a bad one
Even their newer budget ranges compare favourably with other budget basses

Good luck in your search

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378974509' post='2207142']
Hope you can get one soon :)

I've heard many people rave about the quality & playability of Japanese built early Ibanez basses
[b]To my mind, Ibanez seem to produce the most consistently high quality results[/b]
I've got to say it, but I don't think I've ever played a bad one
Even their newer budget ranges compare favourably with other budget basses

Good luck in your search
[/quote]

Thanks, i'll get one. It's just a mather of patience and wait.

I've added the bold on your quote just to remind you not to forget about yamaha ;)

Cheers

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378974509' post='2207142']
[/quote]

Absolutely! I love my two Musicians, Roadster and two ATK's. They're all incredible basses, and none of them cost me more than 400 Euros :)

Slightly off topic,
but what's the general consensus on the Ibanez Ergodyne basses?
I only ever had a quick go on one
It was a really odd shape, but it played beautifully and felt very comfortable
Access to the notes at the very top of the neck was easy,
due to the shape and design of the body of the bass
EDIT: and the neck was quite slim & fast

I've since seen a few different designs of Ergodynes,
And the guy who owned the one I played said there were very big differences in certain models...

I never seem to see them come up for sale in shops near me,
so I don't get chance to try any out
Any thoughts on them folks?

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1379406015' post='2212168']
Slightly off topic,
but what's the general consensus on the Ibanez Ergodyne basses?
I only ever had a quick go on one
It was a really odd shape, but it played beautifully and felt very comfortable
Access to the notes at the very top of the neck was easy,
due to the shape and design of the body of the bass
EDIT: and the neck was quite slim & fast

I've since seen a few different designs of Ergodynes,
And the guy who owned the one I played said there were very big differences in certain models...

I never seem to see them come up for sale in shops near me,
so I don't get chance to try any out
Any thoughts on them folks?
[/quote]

I know of 3. The EDA, EDB and EDC.
They had numbers, but can only recall the one I owned, an EDB600. The five strings were EDB605, just like the current Ibanez numbering system.

Do be aware that the newer ones- with different designations again- are [b]Wooden[/b], not Luthite like the old ones.
Luthite is a resin, not dissimilar to that used in the manufacture of Tenpin Bowling balls. The bodies are injection moulded, giving (theoretically) great consistency of manufacture, and the ability to make weird and wonderful shapes- like the EDA. Any two bases of the same model were likely to weigh almost exactly the same.

The necks were maple with rosewood fretboards. 24 frets IIRC. I've never seen a fretless.

I owned an EDB600. It was excellent for the £80 I paid for it.
Until... It fell off the sofa when my back was turned.
Our floors are solid concrete, and whatever underlay the previous incumbent had used was rubbish.
Result, the entire lower bout around the control cavity cracked right through and fell off. A write-off. From an impact that would barely have marked a wooden bass.
Luthite can be [i]very brittle[/i].

It sounded great with DR FatBeams on. Very neutral. Only my Vigier and Status Streamline are more neutral.
The 3 band Eq was good, as were pick-ups, and I could coax some nice sounds out of it. The next one I tried was similar, but lacked something... So I didn't buy it. Probably the set-up or the strings made the difference.

If you get the chance, try one. You might just like it. DO get Straplocks, and DON'T drop it!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1379409226' post='2212207']
I know of 3. The EDA, EDB and EDC.
They had numbers, but can only recall the one I owned, an EDB600. The five strings were EDB605, just like the current Ibanez numbering system.

Do be aware that the newer ones- with different designations again- are [b]Wooden[/b], not Luthite like the old ones.
Luthite is a resin, not dissimilar to that used in the manufacture of Tenpin Bowling balls. The bodies are injection moulded, giving (theoretically) great consistency of manufacture, and the ability to make weird and wonderful shapes- like the EDA. Any two bases of the same model were likely to weigh almost exactly the same.

The necks were maple with rosewood fretboards. 24 frets IIRC. I've never seen a fretless.

I owned an EDB600. It was excellent for the £80 I paid for it.
Until... It fell off the sofa when my back was turned.
Our floors are solid concrete, and whatever underlay the previous incumbent had used was rubbish.
Result, the entire lower bout around the control cavity cracked right through and fell off. A write-off. From an impact that would barely have marked a wooden bass.
Luthite can be [i]very brittle[/i].

It sounded great with DR FatBeams on. Very neutral. Only my Vigier and Status Streamline are more neutral.
The 3 band Eq was good, as were pick-ups, and I could coax some nice sounds out of it. The next one I tried was similar, but lacked something... So I didn't buy it. Probably the set-up or the strings made the difference.

If you get the chance, try one. You might just like it. DO get Straplocks, and DON'T drop it!
[/quote]

Thanks for that LfAlex,
As I said, the one I played (unsure of model) felt and sounded great
It was a Luthite version, and I did wonder about the strength of the material
Don't drop it is good advice, but there's always a clumsy other band member to worry about, of course
and I'm not implying drummers ;)

Wish there were 1 or 2 in a shop nearby - just so I could have a try
I don't exactly "need" one - so I'll keep looking

Cheers again
Marc