Why become a member? ×

Rage against the machine sound

Thunderbird

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1378143855' post='2196257']
Knowing me I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that he played a 4 string tuned BEAD? and if he does I would have thought that would have made a bit of difference to the over all sound.
[/quote] I thought he did not play standard tuning but in the official bass tab book it shows it as standard tuning I think it is a case of experimentation I wondered about using my Zoom amp modelling feature and then trying my distortion I dont know if this will work or not I am a bit of a pedal noob but like I said in an earlier post it is great fun playing with all the funny noises and pretty addictive lol

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1378124469' post='2195946']
I like to blend compressed clean with a tube screamer type pedal, jazz bridge pickup, played hard! You just have to boost the high mids loads. I used to use a guitar amp in combination with my bass amp to acheive that.
[/quote]

This. I have a tube compressor on one channel mixed with a dirty channel with bass cut a fair bit. And a 1khz boost.

Talkbass thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/tim-commerfords-setup-484295/

Can't link since in on my phone.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1378122687' post='2195908']
Defo agree with this, saw them at Finsbury Park a couple of years back (where he was using a Lakland JO interestingly...) and his sound was poor! Wooly and absolutely no definition...
[/quote]

Sounds was shocking all round at that show, not to say it wasn't awesome though

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1378152605' post='2196425']
RATM = Standard & Drop D
Audioslave = BEAD (I'm not into them, so might be other tunings too)

Si
[/quote]

I see, same bloke but different band, so I was about kinda half right :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378152727' post='2196429']

This. I have a tube compressor on one channel mixed with a dirty channel with bass cut a fair bit. And a 1khz boost.

Talkbass thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/tim-commerfords-setup-484295/

Can't link since in on my phone.
[/quote]

Linkage!

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1381690533' post='2242438']
There is very little distortion on the first album - it's mostly a Stingray played clean.
[/quote]

This is not really correct, he used his Marshall Guv'nor under pretty much every big guitar riff on the album (for example, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ucA8U86zNo"]here[/url] at 0:41). In fact, you get the first taste of it early on when the Bombtrack riff comes in at 0:25!

I think you'll find that most of the power comes from Timmy's overdriven bass during the riffs on that album, Tom Morrello's guitar is pretty trebly and relatively clean in comparison!