Why become a member? ×

Precision Basses with slim necks and narrow nut widths

nottswarwick

So, you'll have read about my wrist problems? Well, maybe not, but the upshot is that I'm managing tendonitis, it's fine, but responds better to slim and narrow neck profiles.

I'm loving the P bass sounds and vibe, and my recently acquired Classic Series 50s is ace.

However, I'm wondering which P bass models from which manufacturers have smaller necks. Mine is not exactly a baseball bat to be fair, but my MTD has a slim neck front to back and also nut width. Well, it seems slim to me, and certainly more so than the P bass.

So, suggestions please.

Ta v muchly

Jazz neck on a P body?

Alternatively if you can live without the vibe, I've got an Ibanez SR500 and have recently got a US Standard precision - I'm actually really surprised how close the SR on the neck pickup with the bass boosted gets to the P tone, and the neck is really thin and comfortable.

Sorry to hear the neck isn't helping your wrist matey!

BassDoc has added a new neck to basses of mine previously and the work is always top notch? ...or... I could try to buy it back when you find a more suitable neck?

Edited by andydye

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377781866' post='2191716']
The Duff McKagan sig has a P body and J neck, as does the Aerodyne, I believe.
[/quote]

Yep. Precision Lyte has a very thin neck. Squier CV 60s Precision is quite slim, and from what I`ve read the Nate Mendel Sig Precision also has a slimmer than usual neck - these basses also get rave reviews.

Ive had a Lakland JO jazz neck on my CVP for almost two years. Best thing i ever did.
Before that i just swapped my two Squier CV necks over as i dont use the Jazz much.
The CV necks also have vintage frets, and i feel this makes them a bit faster for me, as i dont need to press down as much.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377783578' post='2191755']
Ive had a Lakland JO jazz neck on my CVP for almost two years. Best thing i ever did.
Before that i just swapped my two Squier CV necks over as i dont use the Jazz much.
The CV necks also have vintage frets, and i feel this makes them a bit faster for me, as i dont need to press down as much.
[/quote]

Mine has nice small vintage frets too. It's not that it's hurting my wrist, just not helping it. It's the bass I pick up most at the moment, as it just has that feel about it.

Like the look of the Duff ones too..

My holy grail at the moment = P-Style bass with narrow, shallow necks. I've tried lots, kept some, moved some on. Mid 80s MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special, which is the bass that the Duff Mckagan sig. Discreet mentioned is based on, has a Jazz neck on P body, PJ pickups. Power Jazz Bass Special is the same but active. As Lozz said, Precision Lyte has an exceptionally slim neck, really narrow and shallow, more so than other Jazz basses apart from a Geddy Lee or Jaguar, but doesn't really sound like a Precision. I recently bought a Squier Silver Series Precision that has a 40mm wide neck, so nearly there. But, probably the thinnest and shallowest of all the Precision-style basses I have is a Peavey Fury. I have read these described as the best Precision bass that Fender didn't make. Not sure I'd go that far but it is nice - USA built, top gear, cheap to buy, too, if you can find one. For all that, my 'go to' is a MIJ Precision with a Mighty Mite jazz neck - it is so easily done and not expensive, so if you have a bass that ticks all the other boxes it is worth considering.

My 1962 CIJ Fender has a very nice neck profile. The nut isn't quite as narrow as a jazz, but the neck shape is really slick. I really struggle with neck shapes too, but this bass is fab. Deffo worth trying one out.

Other than that - I'd say a P with a Jazz neck on it too.

Might be worth a look, if you already have the body... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Status-Graphite-fender-jazz-bass-neck-schaller-tuners-/331002433024?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d11484e00"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Status-Graphite-fender-jazz-bass-neck-schaller-tuners-/331002433024?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d11484e00[/url]

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1377804832' post='2192204']
So, basic question is suspect, but are jazz and p bass neck pockets the same? Same screw holes etc?

I like the bass, so, could be the way forward
[/quote]

Most are 2.5 inches. The status replacement ones are built for that.

Lakeland Duck Dunn is basically a P bass with a jazz neck on it....

I also had a CIJ 70's RI P bass a few years ago, and that had a very slim neck on it - I think it might have been jazz dimensions.

In the end, Jon Shuker made me my perfect bass - P body with jazz neck on (any excuse to put up a pic of it!)