Why become a member? ×

Oh Dear, this is why they hate us SO MUCH

witterth

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1377765035' post='2191402']
Still trying to identify the perps from the first vid.
All I recognised were Sheehan, Pattitucci and Levin...
[/quote]

The guy who organised it was Dave Pomeroy, who was on the far left playing fretless. I've known Dave since we shared a sitting room floor in 1977, and when I was in the States at Easter he took the thick end of a week out of his (very busy) schedule to show me round Nashville and make sure I had a real good time.

That clip is not my sort of thing at all, but I'm not convinced it was quite the clusterf*** described in this thread ...

:lol:

[quote name='JwK94' timestamp='1377732799' post='2191261']
Don't see the problem here? Bass players aren't allowed to jam together? If you don't like jazz bass guitarists then fair enough, but I quite enjoyed most of this (apart from billy Sheehan if course, who keeps inviting him to jazz gigs?!)
[/quote]
[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1377733719' post='2191272']
I really liked that...thanks for posting..ironically!
[/quote]
[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1377768329' post='2191466']
I thought it was quite good actually. Yeas, hugely self indulgent, but I liked see the different styles, some immense talents there, ace drumming. And I enjoyed seeing Billy close up.

Come on folks, we are bassists, so let us appreciate it.
[/quote]
thank god i wasn't the only one then!

I enjoyed the guy actually playing the bass part there.
Oddments of the soloing I thought worked- however most did not. Billy sounded like the musical equivalent of a bag of pork scratching at a bar mitzvah in this case.
It's no wonder that some see bass players as failed / frustrated guitarists

Edited by dudewheresmybass

Don't see the problem here? Bass players aren't allowed to jam together? If you don't like jazz bass guitarists then fair enough, but I quite enjoyed most of this (apart from billy Sheehan if course, who keeps inviting him to jazz gigs?!)
[/quote]

No, bass players are NOT allowed to jam together. It's a maximum two bassists on any stage and only under strict supervision. Everyone knows that, it's one of the first laws of music...

MB1.
That just reminded me of this...

"We're gonna tell you now,
that we will take your instruments from you!
Whip your ass!
and destroy your vehicles,
and more than likely you will have to walk and beg your way back to Houston Texas?
...Now we will do this to you, unless you make us feel real good,
Real Suddenly!"

Tales (reprise) Marcus Miller.

[/quote]

+1 to this.

I think you have to remember the context. It's not like they were forming a band and were going to make records and go on tour with this stuff.
They were at a bass day and they were having a jam.

Heaven forfend that any videos should exist of any bass day I attended and attempted to play at. That really would make you want to tear your eyes out. :lol:

Seriously though, I fairly often attend comedy and drama workshops ( I like to think I [b]am[/b] fairly good at that) and have increasingly found people more and more reluctant to allow themselves to be videod. It's fun to share the vids afterwards and learn from them, but if they end up on You Tube you never know who will find it and take the piss.

I get the impression that that's what 'bass playing' is all about. kinda why i'm really not too bothered that i'm so utterly unable to do it. I can (or did) however stand in a room with a few rock musicians and create a tune from thin air, then play it live (with mistakes) and get a full room of people banging their heads and cheering at the end. :yarr:

All these whizz-warble bass players all over the web and not a tune between 'em. Sing me a song by a great bassist that didn't have someone else's band name on the cover. Dave Lee Roth can't even sing but those were still Sheehan's best moments.

controversial? :ph34r: