Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

timmo

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1377982950' post='2194455']

I would rather have expertise and knowledge
[/quote]

Which you'll get at the Gallery, without the "I know better than you do" (which he doesn't; he has no idea how I play or what I'm after). To be honest, most of what I've got from him is opinion spoken as fact. Nothing turns me off anybody, particularly salesmen, quicker than that.

[quote name='Zodiak' timestamp='1377984105' post='2194465']
Well, I guess it's just harder for beginners to get through to him
[/quote]

I've been playing 30-odd years and have been through lots of high end stuff, including a custom-built £4k Alembic and several Seis. I know what I'm after - and it often isn't what others are after - and I don't expect to be talked to like I don't.

Oh and for what it's worth, I get along with Alex just fine; I've never heard him try and push [i]anything[/i].

Edited by 4000

I must just pipe up again here.

I've just gigged a rig I got from Mark a couple of weeks back, for the first time.

Genz GBE750, and Genz NEO 212. I bought it without audition over the phone, although it was not completely blind as I know what the shuttle and streamliners sound like, and have head the cab before. So, I was not totally in the dark.

Anyway, point it, is was set on the cab as the price was great, ex demo or something. But head wise I was torn between the shuttlemax, and the GBE750. I told Mark I wanted something as close to an Aguilar Db750 or something similar, with big notes that bloom and have a physical weight.

He steered me in the direction of the heavy, old school GBE750, over the course of a 30 min conversation on what might have been one of his first days back after his holiday. And his advice was spot on.

It sounded ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Without doubt the finest rig I have ever had. Pissed all over my old Streamliner me Markbass gear. Different gravy. Thanks Mark.

I bought from Mark , I knew what I wanted and needed a retailer to order it for me, I was given 2 names from the importer and had a few ideas from the US , Mark responded straight away , we agreed the price and he always answered emails and phone calls very promptly. In fact the price was well on par with the US import I had found, and the order had been placed a month before the other retailer bothered answering my initial enquiry .
I do understand the potential frustration of tyre kickers to a retailer , but if you know your clients you can identify them fairly sharply , and while mistakes can be made , if those who place an order are looked after ,the business is a good one .

I think that every shop will have positives and negatives. Its worth having both IMO.

From my dealings:- 100% positive!

Bought a BEF Pro and HH3 and it travelled at the speed of light to Aberdeen. Was kept updated when it'd be shipped etc.
Also bought a Mono M80 the other week - was told it would be shipped on the Monday (ordered late Friday) and it didn't appear. Called Mark and asked what the score was. He thought it had been shipped, so called the supplier and sorted it there and then. They had an issue and hadnt shipped. It arrived the next day. Also got an email from him apologizing.

For those who have had negative experience; maybe give them another go :) we all have bad days! I've been grouchy to my users on occasion, not intentionally - just having a bad moment :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1377898989' post='2193518'] if you're not buying a Roscoe bass and bergantino rig to play it through then you're wasting his time.

[/quote]

Totally different from the experiences I have had.
I have been there twice.
Neither time did I make an appointment.
The first visit I bought a hipshot 3 string retainer. - probably one of the cheapest items in the shop.
The second I bought a Mono gig bag.
Both times Mark has had time for me. We chatted about lots of things music.
He actually remembered me the second time from my first visit!
He allowed me, without appointment, to try some amps and heads with my own bass.
...and didn't get upset when i didn't buy.

Haven't read this whole thread but for sure this sort of thing can be useful, but only really to check if a dealer is bona fide and not a ripoff merchant. So for my input, I've dealt with Mark and Bass Direct several times and all good here, highly recommended. Anything else is just personal preference and personality differences and so each to their own, but in terms of a decent, reputable business, no troubles here at all.
Steve

I am not here to defend how Mark has treated customers, just to give my experience.

I have had nothing but positive dealings with Mark both in person and over the phone. The most recent was when buying my Aguilar Tonehammer, I called him and asked about the amp and explained what I had owned and what I was after sound wise and he gave me some solid advice.

Mark in my experience has a certain way of interacting with customers and I think it can be a 'marmite' effect, some people love his approach other can take it the wrong way potentially. The first time I went up there was to get a bass repaired, a small job that he wouldn't make much money from.

I was there for 2 hours with my girlfriend and he made me question my choice of amp, bass and general approach to equipment. It was however a brilliant conversation, and made me see past Fender, Warwick and MusicMan. He then proceeded to listen to why I didn't like certain instruments, took on board the music I was playing and then proceeded to put multiple thousand pound instruments in my hands, and he was SPOT ON with his suggestions.

I went through Roscoe's (amazing instruments but too small for me) Nordstrand, Alleva, Warwick, Spector, Elrick, Dingwall and so on, at no point did I give him any indication that I was even in the market for a new instrument. He disappeared a few times to answer the phone but always came back for my feedback on instruments. He was even incredibly kind to my tired and bored girlfriend and involved her in what was going on.

I had a very earnest conversation with Mark and he was brutally honest about a lot of the gear he has in stock and gear he has used and had experience with in the past. He basically tries to get people out of their comfort zone and try something they would never normally look at because they are stuck in their ways or too caught up in what they read in magazines and on the internet about gear. He said words to the effect of "yeah Fender are ok so are MusicMan, but they are mass produced inconsistent instruments, they do what they do but why not try, THIS bass, its hand made, balanced and better quality for less".

He basically said he has had too many years of customers having pre-conceived ideas of what they want, spend thousands and then come back 6 months later with the same gear and swap it again because it doesn't do what they want, and he can more often that not save them that grief if they listen to him.

I will say he is always INCREDIBLY busy, I was on the phone with him and he was juggling two customers in the shop trying basses and looking at accessories, and having a decent conversation with me. I ordered my amp with him at about 3pm and it was here the next day, amazing service.

Book an appointment, go speak to him, keep your mind and your ears open.

[indent=1]I rang for a strap yesterday as he didn`t try to push one onto me last week. I rang him up, asked me how I was getting on with the new bass, recommended a comfort strapp. Had a good chat with him. He apologised that he never gave me as much attention that he would've liked, as he was busy, which was true. I was glad he wasn`t there as it was a sorry performance I was having. Bought the strap over the phone at around 1pm yesterday, and it was waiting for me when I got home tonight.[/indent]

Bought my 1st Berg AE112 cab from Mark and later mentioned I might be looking for another. He got in touch with me to say he had 2nd hand one coming in that was in mint condition with Berg cover. Great price and delivery is exceptional. Bought my Genz 600 from him and same thing with super fast delivery and exceptionally well packaged.
Oddly enough I was interested in the Ampeg SVT4 he had 2nd hand and queried him on it a while back and his advice was that it was a lot heavier than I was used to and didn't think I would be happy with it after using all lightweight gear for past 2 yrs. I had a rethink and then a few weeks later decided I might quite like it and called him back couple weeks ago and was in process of agreeing trade price for mine when someone else bought the damn thing. Point is he was open to some come and go and certainly didn't laugh when I approached him. He is quite to the point tho but I find that quite refreshing.
He's honest and no bull-shitting which IMHO is what you want from a supplier.
Really can't fault Bass Direct at all. All positive from me.
He's also very helpful when you're not sure and like I say if he doesn't think you'll like it he'll say so. Is that not what a good shop owner should be doing and selling you not just what you want but advising the pros and cons of the sale.

Dave

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1377858182' post='2192788']
Unfortunately I had a really bad experience with this guy (or perhaps it was someone else working there? Apologies if it was)

Called him up last year to see if he could do a price match on a head.
He laughed heartley and loudly down the phone at me and said "Why would I want to do that??!"
Left me feeling pretty humiliated for asking a pretty normal question.
[/quote]

The trouble with telephones is that you're relying entirely on the verbal and audible side of things. I just wondered whether Mark's laugh might not have been intended as derogatory but as the verbal equivalent of a smiley, to try and mitigate any offence you might have felt, but actually had the opposite effect. Of course, you were there and I wasn't, so that might not sound like a plausible alternative to you.

I've bought one bass from Mark, a second-hand Sei, which developed a fault a little while after buying it. Basically the elderly Berg (IIRC) preamp had developed a fault in one of its buffer stages so needed replacing. I didn't get any discount on the Delano preamp I bought to replace it - conversely, he did do me a Gramma pad as a little sweetener for the Sei in the first place. Swings and roundabouts.

You know that bit in the first Harry Potter film where he goes into the wand shop? That's Mark at Bass Direct... :D

Seriously, I found on my first visit that I asked to try what I was initially interested in, he set me up and went into the office to answer the phone and do some clerical stuff, then came out a couple of times to suggest other basses/amps I might like, based on what he'd heard. It was a bit of a shock at first, and I could easily have taken offence at his bluntness, but after I'd gone with the flow, I found he was bang on the money. He's a real enthusiast, but to get the best out of the experience, you need to leave your ego in the car...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1378390769' post='2199573']

The trouble with telephones is that you're relying entirely on the verbal and audible side of things. I just wondered whether Mark's laugh might not have been intended as derogatory but as the verbal equivalent of a smiley, to try and mitigate any offence you might have felt, but actually had the opposite effect. Of course, you were there and I wasn't, so that might not sound like a plausible alternative to you.

I've bought one bass from Mark, a second-hand Sei, which developed a fault a little while after buying it. Basically the elderly Berg (IIRC) preamp had developed a fault in one of its buffer stages so needed replacing. I didn't get any discount on the Delano preamp I bought to replace it - conversely, he did do me a Gramma pad as a little sweetener for the Sei in the first place. Swings and roundabouts.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experience, unfortunately nothing is really gonna change my perception of how much of a twat this guy was. Not really my fault either, I don't think anyone would have really thought that was acceptable.

Mixed bag from Mark but overall positive:
1. Excellent range of products
2. Really helpful when I asked to try the Overwater I had my eye on let me noodle away for plenty of time and then recommended a few others which again he let me p,ay for as long as I wanted. When I was waiting for him to finish with other customers I noticed how he was with them and he was very good. I ended up reasonably set on a roscoe said to him I was keen and would probably go custom build route but wanted to do some more research as I didn't know the brand that well. I was genuine but he had no way of knowing but he showed zero disappointment in me walking out the shop with no commitment.
3. Within a couple of days I was working on the specs, I did this via email with Mark and he wasn't the best. I'd ask 4 or 5 questions and he's answer 1 or 2. My read is that he's much more comfortable and engaged in face to face stuff. He gave me decent steers on the electronics but Gard of Roscoe via Talk bass was the main man on the woods.
4. Placed the order c3k.. And he progressed this quickly and accurately.
5. In terms of communicating build progress, delivery dates etc Mark was pretty passive I ended up waiting1 to 2 months longer than expected and felt I was chasing for updates too much. And I'm by no means high maintenance. The wait was Roscoe trying to save on shipping costs as far as I could gather by bundling up an order.
6. Once in UK bass was shipped by Mark speedily and well packaged.
7. I had a few issues with bridge height and fret buzz which I was a bit disappointed about as I would have thought they would have been apparent before it was shipped from Warwick but we resolved these via email and Mark was responsive even though it was late in the evening.

Overall I've got a great bass with the tone and looks I was after and if it wasn't for 1 and 2 above I wouldn't have it. That has to be the key part of the retailers job so plaudits to Mark. I would recommend fine tuning spec choices at the shop if your near enough otherwise on the phone. I think a little more attention should be given to updating customers on order progress especially on custom builds and/or long lead times. I also think that when you get a 3k bass out of the bag it should be perfect and a proper PDI at the dealer is essential, that clearly hadnt happened in my case.

I wish mark and his business continued success and I will definitely be supporting them in the future.

Finally a personal observation, but for a guy who says he doesn't want to hijack a thread there's a hell of a lot of angst and key board characters over an ill advised laugh. Move on mate!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1378392270' post='2199600']
You know that bit in the first Harry Potter film where he goes into the wand shop? That's Mark at Bass Direct... :D

Seriously, I found on my first visit that I asked to try what I was initially interested in, he set me up and went into the office to answer the phone and do some clerical stuff, then came out a couple of times to suggest other basses/amps I might like, based on what he'd heard. It was a bit of a shock at first, and I could easily have taken offence at his bluntness, but after I'd gone with the flow, I found he was bang on the money. He's a real enthusiast, but to get the best out of the experience, you need to leave your ego in the car...
[/quote]

Like that ---- leave your ego in the car. Nice suggestion. Can fully understand where you are coming from.
:)

Dave

Mixed bag with Bass Direct here.

First off I have to say Mark seems a really nice guy, knows his stuff without question & his store is second to none.

Made the trip up from Cardiff recently by appointment & can't complain about the service instore. Mark & his son were attentive & answered my questions - that's all you want. I could detect a bit of the aforementioned 'bass snobbery' but hey, you can take or leave that stuff. He let me try some basses that I've not had the opportunity to play before too, all good. Anyway I tried & purchased two Genz cabs, chucked em in the car & thought that was that. Got home & immediately discovered the horn switch was bust on my 210. Stupid me didn't check the switches in the shop - my bad in part but I would have expected there to be some QC on behalf of the retailer, particularly as it's not a huge operation. Not really the issue tho, sometimes inferior stuff just gets thru. It was the return process where things got a bit trying.

Called Mark at the first opportunity to report the fault & he got Fender UK to organise delivery back to them for a look. He told me that I'd have a repaired cab by the end of the week. It didn't arrive so I called on the Monday & Mark gave me the number for the Fender UK guy. I felt I was being passed off - it should be the retailer's responsibility to deal with stuff higher up the food chain. Long story short I was left calling Fender to find out what was going on & on the occasions I called Mark in between he seemed pretty breezy & didn't call me back to confirm progress on a few occasions. When you've just dropped a not insignificant amount of cash on a purchase only to be able to use it for 5 mins then have to wait best part of two weeks for a replacement you expect this to be appreciated & be kept in the picture. Consequently I felt like I was pestering him. Eventually Mark had a new cab sent out which is great & I'm happy now but I was just left with the feeling that Mark's strong suit isn't after-sales care, particularly after reading others' experiences on here.

So, I wouldn't wish to slag Mark off or Bass Direct, it's a great service - providing nothing goes wrong IME.

My GB 600 was returned to get the blue LED lamp replaced under warranty and Mark did everything and quickly. He gave me the Fender repair tech number and I spoke direct to them which saved some time. The amp was therefore returned direct to me when it suited me and they gave me an update when I called. This saves waiting on the middle man getting updates and trying to call you. It suited me but again Mark did all the organising to get it returned ASAP.
I work as an Eng Manager and deal with contractors and repair companies on a regular basis and find dealing direct gets me better and faster response times. This suited me at the time but maybe not best way for most people who aren't used to dealing direct with repair shops.

Dave

[quote name='Deets' timestamp='1378486140' post='2201094']
Finally a personal observation, but for a guy who says he doesn't want to hijack a thread there's a hell of a lot of angst and key board characters over an ill advised laugh. Move on mate!
[/quote]

Hi. Kind of hard to move on if someone quotes you (as I've just done here), dont want people to think I've blanked them. :-)