Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM combo

deaky

Hi all

I've thinking about buying an Ashdown ABM combo to replace my old Fender Rumble combo. I've never really tried an Ashdown amp before so I'm just looking to find out from you guys if they are good reliable combos or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Two if my favourite bass players Pino Palladino and Guy Pratt use Ashdown amps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deaky

Have you got a crash helmet and a suit of armour handy? Oh, and a fire extinguisher? :D

I have had a Mag 300 for 10 years and had no problem with it. Use the search function as there is lots of opinions on Ashdown on here, some good, some bad.

I run an abm ii head with a 410. I find the tone is thick, bassy and pillowy. It works for me albeit I'm changing my cab as I want a little more definition. I like the features on the amp as well.

Bear in mind one mans thick and pillowy is another's mud. As above, get out and play what you're hoping to buy and if possible with your band.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a few ashdown amps - tourbus ten, after eight (both just for home practice) and the EB180 (12" - I used it for gigging with no PA support) and really liked all of them.

I'd quite like another of the EB's, but I have to remind myself that I got rid of it because it weighed a ton. Well, to me it did.

I have an Ashdown MAG 210 and an ABM 115 extension cab that I've used with no problems for sometime for the mainly pub gigs that i play.Lots of discussions in the past about the Ashdown sound on this forum but I've always liked mine and price always reasonable for this stuff. Finding it all a bit heavy recently though (must be my age) and trading gear at the moment for something lighter so may be a consideration if you want portability.

I have a Ashdown Mag Evo II 307 1x15 Combo, Great amp, worth the money,
At the time where I bought it had the cab and head version for just a bit over the same price,
looking back I would've gotten that for easier portability as the cab had I'm guessing side handles whilst the combo only has a top handle.
Apart from that it's great, Though apart from going to Neo cabs I can't imagine any company giving much weight reduction in comparison.
Just a guess I haven't tried many.

• 1 month later...

I have an Ashdown ABM evo II 300 115 Combo for your average pubs/clubs and an Ashdown ABM evo II 500 head that I run thru a Behringer Ultrabass 4x10 and 1x15 with ali cones for the bigger venues.
They D.I. straight out the front and have been super reliable for about 7 years.
The cabs may change but the amp ain't going nowhere.