Why become a member? ×

What Amplifier brands do you have a hard time finding?

TomRichards

Being in the EU it is fairly easy to source (ie buy) most kind of amps. Being in Scotland though, I don't see many of the boutique brands like Bergantino, Genz Benz or even much EBS stuff. Lots of Ashdown, Ampeg, Hartke, second hand Trace Elliot. Fair amount of Aguilar too.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1377529344' post='2188497']
I know different parts of the world are dominated by different brands.

What amp brands do you guys on your side of the pond want to see more of, and what ones do you have a hard time finding?
[/quote]

:hi: ... over in the UK it used to be difficult (for quite a while) finding David Eden amp heads/cabinets. Luckily for me, a great guy on BC had a U.S. made WT550 for sale, which I am now the proud owner of.. :D

I see their UK service centre is now c/o: - 'Marshall Amplification plc' [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/service/ukservice.asp"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/service/ukservice.asp[/url]

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1377558646' post='2188900']
Being in the EU it is fairly easy to source (ie buy) most kind of amps. Being in Scotland though, I don't see many of the boutique brands like Bergantino, Genz Benz or even much EBS stuff. Lots of Ashdown, Ampeg, Hartke, second hand Trace Elliot. Fair amount of Aguilar too.
[/quote]

That's interesting, I played at a small venue in Glasgow where the house amp was an EBS - TD650 and Proline cabs if memory serves, from that I assumed they had a fairly good presence north of the border.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1377555359' post='2188880']
Carvin
[/quote]

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/ these guys are fabulous to deal with and I have the 500 head from them - lovely!

I'd love the chance to see and hear some Traynor gear over here - highly respected valve gear at a fraction of the price of most other stuff available in the UK.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1377595749' post='2189074']
That's interesting, I played at a small venue in Glasgow where the house amp was an EBS - TD650 and Proline cabs if memory serves, from that I assumed they had a fairly good presence north of the border.
[/quote]

Can you recall what venue that was? I have never seen an EBS rig the as house backline at a local venue. There are a few HD350s in a local rehearsal studio, but not many Proline or Neoline cabs about. I actually only know one bassist who owns such an EBS rig of EBS amp and cabs. It might have been his rig!

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I don’t tend to see many SWR's or Waricks. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]In the [/font][/color][color=#222222][font=Arial]UK[/font][/color][color=#222222][font=Arial] I see lots of Ashdown, [/font][/color][color=#222222][font=Arial]Marshall[/font][/color][color=#222222][font=Arial], Peavey, Hartke, Trace Elliot (Not as many as in the 90s though) and an increasing number of TC and Mark Bass amps. [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by baseline9

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1377600237' post='2189154']

Can you recall what venue that was? I have never seen an EBS rig the as house backline at a local venue. There are a few HD350s in a local rehearsal studio, but not many Proline or Neoline cabs about. I actually only know one bassist who owns such an EBS rig of EBS amp and cabs. It might have been his rig!
[/quote]

I think it was called Rockers, had lots of band t-shirts on the walls, Audio is a possibile name too, but I think it was Rockers.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1377614888' post='2189416']
I think it was called Rockers, had lots of band t-shirts on the walls, Audio is a possibile name too, but I think it was Rockers.
[/quote]

It is the same venue. It is called Audio now though the general set up of the venue has changed a fair bit now. There isn't an EBS backline now but there certainly could have been EBS backline at Rockers before it went under. I never entered Rockers after 2007, though I can't remember any house backline being there when I was playing there prior to that (though I can remember trying to carry my old battered Trace Elliot combo to and from said venue!).

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1377616378' post='2189435']

It is the same venue. It is called Audio now though the general set up of the venue has changed a fair bit now. There isn't an EBS backline now but there certainly could have been EBS backline at Rockers before it went under. I never entered Rockers after 2007, though I can't remember any house backline being there when I was playing there prior to that (though I can remember trying to carry my old battered Trace Elliot combo to and from said venue!).
[/quote]
This would have been January 2010 when my old metal band toured up there, I remember bringinf my rack-mount Fafner head in and being surprised by there being almost the same amp on stage already.

Not a bad little venue, shame we didn't fill it more tbh, but then we were trying to punch above our weight in the touring stakes.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1377625020' post='2189593']
This would have been January 2010 when my old metal band toured up there, I remember bringinf my rack-mount Fafner head in and being surprised by there being almost the same amp on stage already.

Not a bad little venue, shame we didn't fill it more tbh, but then we were trying to punch above our weight in the touring stakes.
[/quote]

I think the PA has been upgraded recently. It is still a pretty decent venue. Also, the Fafner is a great amp!

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1377626655' post='2189634']

Also, the Fafner is a great amp!
[/quote]
Oh aye, best amp I ever owned - had to move it on and go lightweight/compact due to space in our current house. I'd have one again in a flash if we had the space though.