Why become a member? ×

Luminlay side markers

MoonBassAlpha

Hi all
I'm looking to get side markers fitted in a spare fretless neck, and also the original dots between the frets removed/covered.
The neck was spare as it was a custom order and the markers were in the wrong place (between "frets")

Can anyone recommend a luthier who will do the job for me? any help much appreciated. A decent and timely job more important than cost...
Cheers
Jules

I am!

Insofar as I can tell, it would seem that clamping the neck at the right angle in a suitable pillar drill is the hard part - I wouldn't trust my shaky mitts on doing it with a hand drill, I'd probably end up with tapered holes!

The Luminlay has arrived, 10 days on the button, exactly as stated, from order (posted from Japan)
Something to do this weekend now if the weather is rubbish!
I will be using a small hand pcb drill. I've already marked and piloted the holes with a 1mm drill.
I'll do a couple of test holes first on some scrap before I get to the neck for real.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1378469494' post='2200765']
What diameter rod did you go for? I went for the 2mm (smallest) as it is what the original markers were. I daresay the 2.5 or 3mm ones show up better, hope the small ones are fit for purpose.
[/quote]

Not sure what size they are matey, I'll have a look tonight and see if I can measure it, they are lovely and small but give off plenty of light!

Ok chaps, pretty much all done.
Tips I've found out on he way:

Pilot drill the holes to full depth properly - 1mm drill is good

Hand held pcb drill will drill slightly oversize. Using a pin chuck might have more control

Push rod into hole, hold sharp blade along neck and rotate rod to score all round almost flush to neck. This gives a cleaner break with less waste, so less filing later. The picture attached is before I tried this!

I used the insulation tape to pull the rod out of the hole, added a spot of superglue to the end and re-inserted. Easy, but have some kitchen roll handy to wick off any excess - less finishing later.

Drill hole in insulating tape to put over rod for initial filiing flush, I used 600grit paper to go flush then buffed with a nail buffing board to finish

[attachment=143301:P1020844.JPG]

[attachment=143302:P1020845.JPG]

[attachment=143303:P1020849.JPG]

[attachment=143304:P1020852.JPG]

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. They are plenty bright when first charged.
It's pretty hard to take meaningful pictures in operation:

[attachment=143314:P1020851.JPG]

Edited by MoonBassAlpha