Why become a member? ×

Jazz but not as we know it!! Live recording

Bilbo

One of those live Zoom H1 recordings. When the count came, no-one knew what was going to happen: I don't think three of us had ever played the tune before. What came out was a funky/rocky/jazzy thing that builds and builds and builds. A great buzz to play but, when I heard it back, it was great to hear the creativity from all quarters. It's not as obvious as it should be but this IS a double bass not an electric. It sounds HUGE! :lol:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/beauty-and-the-beast"]https://soundcloud.c...y-and-the-beast[/url]

Just catching up with some listening tonight...

This is very nice Bilbo. Am I right in thinking it's recorded at your Jazz East gig? Bloody great, whatever. Nice recording too - your bass is super warm; I actually think it sounds cool. Fantastic groove and musicianship all round.

PS: IMHO, you need to get some of your upright playing incorporated into the monthly composition stuff! Love it.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377726383' post='2191155']

PS: IMHO, you need to get some of your upright playing incorporated into the monthly composition stuff! Love it.
[/quote]

It is always in the back of my mind but the problem is the 'composition' competition is as much about delivering a performance as it is a composition and, whilst I can play basic guitar and programme vsts etc, I can't replicate anything credible in the area of jazz so, most of the time, the double bass doesn't fit with the ideas I am working with. But, yes, it would be nice.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1377764670' post='2191397']It is always in the back of my mind but the problem is the 'composition' competition is as much about delivering a performance as it is a composition and, whilst I can play basic guitar and programme vsts etc, I can't replicate anything credible in the area of jazz so, most of the time, the double bass doesn't fit with the ideas I am working with. But, yes, it would be nice.[/quote]

Good point. You'll certainly never get MIDI to 'swing' in the way a live band can. Well, not without hours/months of manually nudging MIDI notes, which would be painstakingly dull (with emphasis on the pain).

Just an idea... but you might be able to find some usable recordings of live jazz drumming and other instrumentation; something you could improvise over on the upright. I know this would be a world away from your regular live gigs - there'd obviously be no scope for you to interact with other musicians, so it'd be a one-way street in that respect. But it'd be a lot better than MIDI and would at least add [i]some[/i] humanity to it.

If I stumble across anything usable in my travels I'll drop you a PM.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1377768032' post='2191458']It is the interaction that is impossible to replicate without the ability to play piano/sax/trumpet etc. MIDI just doesn't begin to cut it. A solo bass piece is always an option but the images have never suggested that to me.[/quote]

Fair dinkum.