Why become a member? ×

Green Day @ Reading

Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377297104' post='2186100'] Mike Dirnt has to be one of the coolest looking Precision players around. Great tone too.
[/quote]I think him and Tre Cool are one of the best rhythm sections out there (it might not be complicated, but it's fadt, unrelenting and tight) and he does look cool as f*** :) Only disappointment was the the latency on my PC between sound and vision.

[quote name='OBT1000_S12' timestamp='1377297405' post='2186104']
I watched it too and really enjoyed it, BBC cut out about 5 or 6 songs from Dookie as they played all of it!
[/quote]

Their set's being shown again on the BBC Red Button @ 9:50pm for 40 minutes. Let's see how much is shown this time(What I saw last night was brilliant!).

I still don't understand how its physically possible for anyone to play "Panic Song". His forearms must be like treetrunks.

I stopped paying attention to Green Day (I still really like their first three or four albums) a few years ago but there's no denying just how tight they are. The songs sound like they should be simple to play but they really do have a groove and tightness to them thats actually quite hard to imitate. I've seen a lot of bands trying to cover Green Day and most of them sound rubbish---which is odd, for a 3 or 4 chord band!!

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1377379978' post='2186993'], that White n Maple '54 P that Mike Dirnt has is rather lovely looking.
[/quote]I though both of the new sig basses looked rather nice indeed, but the white+tort p/g 'modern' P did it for me, but then I'm a little biased to that scheme. Now the white sig model with a tort p/g, mmm....

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1377379978' post='2186993']
I've got it on now. I've got to hand it to 'em for being able to sustain that kind of pace, both musically and physically, for a good length of team.
[/quote]

Yeah, the Dookie stuff in particular must be really tough to plough through at that speed. Its physically impressive as much as it is musically!

Really enjoying this, suspect I'll have Dookie and Insomniac on quite a bit in the next week...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1377379978' post='2186993']
I've got it on now. I've got to hand it to 'em for being able to sustain that kind of pace, both musically and physically, for a good length of time.
Liam
[/quote]

It takes a lot of work. I saw a band a couple of weeks ago who tried that - with a different bands material I might add - and 20mins in, it was becoming very loose. We do it in The Daves (or at least try) and not as easy as some might think.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1377421331' post='2187211']
Saw it halfway brought on the ted button.
Very tight . Have only got American idiot and one single. I thought they were a 3piece.
[/quote]

they added a fourth member last year, but I think he'd been playing with them live for a long time.

Dookie / Insomniac / Nimrod are three of the best albums of the 90s in my opinion. Definitely worth checking out.

The fast chops do come with practice. To them guys its second nature as they came about in the 90s with all the new American melodic punk bands that play everything incredibly fast...eg NOFX, Bad Religion.

I couldn't do it that fast with fingers, but with a plec it's fast...probably the first thing I wanted to do on a bass was to play very very fast and melodic. It's just a different technique...kinda have to loosen your wrist, use a low action, normal strings, fairly medium to thin plectrum.

Just watched it all the way through. The only concert videos I have ever been able to watch the whole way through have been Green Day ones. They're a real lesson in showmanship.

When they play live they're a five piece, with a second guitarist so Billy Joe can interact with the crowd more, plus a keyboard player (you only see his head above the stack of cabs).

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1377446794' post='2187628']
When they play live they're a five piece, with a second guitarist so Billy Joe can interact with the crowd more, plus a keyboard player (you only see his head above the stack of cabs).
[/quote]

When I saw them on the American Idiot tour there were nine people on stage for a few songs!
The three of them in the band, the second guitarist, another guitarist, two brass players, the keyboard guy and a percussionist!

Without a doubt, one of the best live bands around at the minute.

Being an aging old punk I probably shouldn't like them as much as I do, I was lucky enough to see them on the Dookie tour at Brixton Academy years back and they were fantastic but I can't help but feel it should be the likes of the Buzzcocks or Stiff Little Fingers playing to crowds that size