Why become a member? ×

Who gone through simple to complex then back to simple bass?

badboy1984

I've used active and passive instruments recently, I still prefer passive instruments for the most part and it takes a very special onboard preamp to get me excited about using an active bass.

P-Basses and Jazz basses will be my staple instruments for a while to come yet, I love simplicity.

Personally I've gone from 2 pickups/passive/2 tones/2 volumes & 20 frets through most things (actives, filters, 4, 5 & 6 strings) back to 2 pickups/passive/2 tones/2 volumes & 20 frets, although there's always a place for the other stuff.

About as simple as I went was a Musicman Sub... I only got more complicated from there :P I need the variety for what I do though, used to play in a metal band, I practice improv jazz to get better at playing, I support an acoustic singer songwriter and I mess about recording hiphop stuff at home :P My Sandberg was plenty varied enough for this but I can definitely see the appeal for simple basses :)

first bass was a p-bass copy. I then went to assorted yamaha and ibanez active basses (for a while i gigged with a 6 string). I went back to a fender aerodyne Jazz (which i use the pbass pickup more) about 7 years ago, and never looked back! I'm certainly not ruling out going for something a bit more hifi in the future, but really, it covers every sound I'd need!

Same. I started with a jazz. Went through over 65 other basses, Warwicks, statii, musicman(s) etc And a huge trace rig with a bright box and complex pedal board.
Now I'm on a compact rig, the same jazz I started with and a similar one for back up and a multi fx
Happy

Nope. A P is great but I get bored of the same old tone.

A Stingray never gets boring.

Now I use Bongos/Rays/Sterling/Big Al/P/J....the more interesting complex basses get used more.

At the moment, and I realise Ps have always been popular, but Fender are having a resurgence with all the indie bands. Fashion will change...

I've not strayed too far from Fender like basses over the years. Ive had Fenders, 5 strings, Laklands, a SUB and SBMM Ray 34, but I always seem to come back to a simple 4 string.
I'm more than happy playing my Squier CVP these days.. I've even tried to buy a new bass or two over the past few years but never found the need for it (in the past I never needed an excuse).

I had the real pleasure of Playing a Dingwall ABZ last night at my gig (cheers again Fran). Wonderful bass in all ways, but it wasn't until the second set and I switched to a Frans Ibenez Roadster II, which is a 4 string PJ that I really felt at home, and this just confirmed that for me, anything other than a P type bass is just not needed.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' timestamp='1377333736' post='2186269']
This is what it's all about. There's this whole Zen thing of the P-bass; because it doesn't jump out of the mix it allows you to play more complicated lines and stay in the pocket. So a simpler setup can mean more technical playing. But ultimately, it just works.

I wish I'd discovered this years ago, and not got caught up with basses that constantly shout "LISTEN TO ME! LISTEN TO ME!"- cutting through the mix like a needy child... The P is just cool and it knows it. :)
[/quote]

+1

Yep, had the active basses, 5 stringers, rack mounted effects, pedal board covered in all sorts etc etc...

Now got one P & one J (both passive) played through a head with three tone controls. Coupled with a decent cab & quality cables and have never been happier than now with my sound.

Honestly, I'm sat here in totally GAS free place.... (for once!)

I have! I went from a P bass copy with the usual 1 volume 1 tone but had the tone control removed.

After that, I went to a BC Rich Mockingbird Heritage with all the fancy bells and whistles and a Tobias bass with upgraded EMG electrics, 4 band on board EQ etc which was my main bass for 2 years.

I'm now back on a Fender Precision Bass and a Westfield copy P Bass (as a back up) that's been modded so it's the same as the Fender (pick ups, bridge etc). I'm playing in a Blackened Death Metal band now btw. I've used P Basses in bands ranging from soft rock to this current band. Never needed anything with the bells and whistles, just a case of wanted all that stuff! Men and their gadgets n' all...

Unpopular opinion of the day, if you can't get a usable, decent tone from either a Precision Bass or Jazz Bass, you're doing it wrong!

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1377457804' post='2187813']
Unpopular opinion of the day, if you can't get a usable, decent tone from either a Precision Bass or Jazz Bass, you're doing it wrong!
[/quote]

That's a popular opinion as far as I'm concerned. :)

I haven't as much gone back, I just like both. I have always had very basic passive 4-string basses alongside higher-end 5-strings with complex active electronics as I have always played in more than one band at a time, and both bands required a completely different approach. I've played in various metal bands where an modern and agressive sounding active 5-string fits the bill best, but I've also played in a dark melodic popband (a bit similar to what Nick Cave has always been doing) where dark sounding basses worked well and I had no need for a low B. I've played various basses there, from a Jazz Bass to a Rickenbacker 4003 and even a hollowbody (Italia Torino) and a fretless 2-string!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1377266940' post='2185600']
I have always played a Fender Precision. I have never had the inclination to play with anything else. The P Bass does everything I want it to do, and what it cant do I have no interest in.
I did have a bit of a flirt with a Stingray, didnt like it and got shot of it!! ;)
[/quote]exactly the same as me Mr H

Couldn't give a hoot personally. Complexity has nothing to do with it for me (obviously within reason, anything Alembic style with too many controls, or something without even a tone knob would be a turn-off). Far more interested in how the instrument plays and sounds. I've never been a fan of active electronics; I don't see the need really. My Warwick is active (as most of them are) but I love the way it plays and sounds. The active stuff gets used occasionally; largely just because it has no passive tone knob. I've been there with the P-bass thing. It was alright, but nothing about the sound really excites the ear; the only instrument I've owned that was more two-dimensional was a Stingray. I think I just need a couple of pick-ups to be honest. I really don't see the point in considering how "complex" an instrument is though; find one you like and then deal with the controls afterwards. Turning everything down that has more than one pick-up or active electronics or whatever without even giving it a chance is really going to dilute your options.

Edited by Ziphoblat

• 4 months later...

Hmmm... started on my teacher's Squier P Bass. Far too simple. Over the next two years:

Fernandez Tremor fretless uneven fretboard so...
Ibanez EDB600 put WD40 in the composite body pup screw holes & gassed myself so...
Yamaha RBX270 boring so...
Johnson fretless didn't play nicely so...
Yamaha BB414 new, no character so...
Hohner BBass Pro VI loved it
Peavey Grind 5 loved it too so one had to go, so...
Yamaha RBX260F realised I couldn't play f/less
Squier VM Jazz Bass realised I couldn't play bass, so sold this and Hohner VI to go back to basics, so...
Yamaha BB300 Mrs Lownote started tapping her foot very fast and emitting a high thin whine, so...
Hohner BBass Pro IV v. cheap but wonderful. Starting to learn bass.

Don't try this at home kids. Just buy a simple bass. Learn. End of...

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1388417603' post='2321749']
Hmmm... started on my teacher's Squier P Bass. Far too simple. Over the next two years:

Fernandez Tremor fretless uneven fretboard so...
Ibanez EDB600 put WD40 in the composite body pup screw holes & gassed myself so...
Yamaha RBX270 boring so...
Johnson fretless didn't play nicely so...
Yamaha BB414 new, no character so...
Hohner BBass Pro VI loved it
Peavey Grind 5 loved it too so one had to go, so...
Yamaha RBX260F realised I couldn't play f/less
Squier VM Jazz Bass realised I couldn't play bass, so sold this and Hohner VI to go back to basics, so...
Yamaha BB300 Mrs Lownote started tapping her foot, very fast, so...
Hohner BBass Pro IV cheap but wonderful. Starting to learn bass. Don't try this at home kids. Just buy a simple bass. Learn. End of...
[/quote]

Absolutely brilliant. Is there a BC Quote Of The Year Award? There should be.

Cheers

Geoff

I play my Ibanez and Yamaha because they feel the most comfortable and nothing to do with on board electronics. Actually, I run the EQ on my basses flat and use the EQ controls on my amp for that side if things.

It's not that I can't play the Pbass I have it just doesn't feel as comfortable to play.

Two questions, if I may:

- Do people who claim to have gone back to simple also use a simple signal chain and amp setup? I am thinking bass plugged directly into a (simple) amp...

- For those who favour more "complex" basses, do you keep changing the sound of the bass while playing live?, Or is it more of a set and forget (as someone in the discussion already said)

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1388420763' post='2321784']
- Do people who claim to have gone back to simple also use a simple signal chain and amp setup? I am thinking bass plugged directly into a (simple) amp...
[/quote]

I went that way, yeah. Started out with a Squier P-bass Special and a Yamaha BB-N4ii into a Trace Commando 15. Topped out at Ibanez BTB 5 and 6 strings with active pre-amps through a Sansamp RBI / DBX 160A / Korg DTR 1000 / Behringer V-amp Pro Bass / W-Audio Horizon 6U rack setup. Now mainly play Fender and Squier Precisions through a Markbass LM800 or Ashdown ABM1000 with only a lead or wireless between the two and a TU-3 tuner sat on top. The most complex bass I have is a Jazz with a flat response J-Retro in it, and if truth be told, would never gig with it.