Why become a member? ×

Mikrokosmos style book for double bass?

Sumbabba

Hi all

I've recently entered into the world of arco double bass which is proving to be more difficult than I could ever have imagined! It's made me realise that my guitary left hand technique is complete rubbish so I'm basically starting from scratch.

With that in mind, I'm looking for a Mikrokosmos style book of progessive pieces that I can use to practise and develop my upright playing. Anyone know of anything like this? I'm using Strictly Strings - String Bass/Book 1 at the moment which is ok but I'd like to find something better.

Thanks in advance!

- S

Edited by Sumbabba

Not sure what [size=4][color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Mikrokosmos is but along with a good teacher you could try one or all of the three following books[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]F Simandl book[/font][/color][/size]
http://www.amazon.com/Method-Double-Bass-English-Japanese/dp/0825801524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377642065&sr=1-1

Rufus Reid Evolving Bassist
http://www.amazon.com/Evolving-Bassist-Rufus-Reid/dp/0967601509/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377642120&sr=1-1&keywords=rufus+reid

and Ray Brown's Bass Method
http://www.amazon.com/Browns-Method-Eagle-Large-Print/dp/0793594561/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377642164&sr=1-1&keywords=ray+brown+book

But seriously get yourself a teacher

Ash

I've been thinking about getting a teacher. Not sure if I'll go down that route, I'm enjoying the trial and error of working it out myself.

Mikrokosmos is a series of pieces written by classical composer Bela Bartok. There's 6 books with about 30 pieces in each one. They start off dead easy and end up being proper concertos. The idea is that the slow progression in difficulty gradually gives you the skills you need to play the proper stuff. I've been using it to learn piano and it's amazing.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check those books out :)

go with the Franz Simandl in that case. and get yourself a teacher. You can do yourself some serious damage if you go it alone. Especially playing arco. It's a tough instrument. It still hurts me after almost 3 years. I can manage about 1 hr arco then 1hr pizz a day if I'm lucky.

Good luck