Why become a member? ×

To Mac or not to Mac?

patrickpz

There's a reason that you see most studio's and their tech's using Mac. Mac's tend to be a no hassle option. If it's worth it, to you, to spend some extra money and get something that will (usually) cause you no problems, then go for a Mac. The Windows equivalent will usually cost quite a bit less, but you'll probably find yourself running into problems that you'll have to troubleshoot yourself.

In my opinion, as good as but cheaper? No

Same hardware specification and cheaper? Yes

A Skoda VRS has the same 2.0 Turbo engine as an Auto TT but they are twoi entirely different things.

Windows fan boys will argue the toss until they are blue screen of death in the face, but the long and short of it is, a mac has a much greater chance of not letting you down.

Edited by jaydentaku

you are not just paying for fancy feeling materials, you are also paying for the fact that the software and hardware is all designed in house, it is dedicated to each other and one mac is the same as the next. Developers therefore have a finite scope to deal with in terms of ensuring compatibility.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377259245' post='2185413']
I suppose the big deal is that Logic is only available for the Mac and Pro Tools generally approve any current Mac without issues.
[/quote]

This is the main reason i see Macs being used for. I'd love to see what a Mac can do that a PC cant, and for less money.

Seeing as anyone who recommends a PC has already been branded a Fan boy, in a derogatory way (without any back up, as usual) , i cant see this ending in a good way.

Then again, it is Friday.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377259611' post='2185421']
I'd love to see what a Mac can do that a PC cant, and for less money.
[/quote]

You are missing the point. It is not a question of doing something a PC can't, its is a question of how it does it and with what rate of sucess and reliability.

I'd certainly go for a Mac. This plus Logic has had a transformational effect for me. Just check that the model you look at has the right inputs for you. Lately Apple has been doing away with audio inputs and Firewire in favour of USB 3 and Thunderbolt. No bad thing, but if you're old school like me...

BB

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1377260013' post='2185432']
You are missing the point. It is not a question of doing something a PC can't, its is a question of how it does it and with what rate of sucess and reliability.
[/quote]

Yep, and i see no reason in this day and age to suggest a PC cant be used as a DAW without any issues, unless you have figures to prove otherwise.
Im not slating Macs, but it was the same argument years ago in the print and design industry, and now PC are in the majority if our customers are anything to go by (we only have one, a G5 just in case, had 4 10 years ago).

But anyway, im not going to argue until im blue in the face, my opinion is just that, mine. Im sure the OP will make his own mind up.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377259611' post='2185421']
This is the main reason i see Macs being used for. I'd love to see what a Mac can do that a PC cant, and for less money.

Seeing as anyone who recommends a PC has already been branded a Fan boy, in a derogatory way (without any back up, as usual) , i cant see this ending in a good way.

Then again, it is Friday.
[/quote]

Ah, but macs are just, y'know, so cool aren't they? I mean, Steve Jobs was, like a genius, y'know?

I've been using PCs for recording for years. For the last 2 years I've been running Cubase 5 on a Windows 7 bog standard off the shelf HP machine. It's all good, and [i]almost[/i] 100% reliable - I think I had one song that developed a glitch of some kind, but that was probably more to do with a dodgy plugin than anything to do with the platform itself.

If you wanna pay 3x the price for a mac, fill your boots, personally i don't see the need.

Mac claims to be more reliable but i disagree with that, it is no different then using a window base station. I'm only a light weighted recorder on music but i do video editing at home and at work. My home PC is window and is a custom high spec one, where as my work computer is a much more expensive and powerful Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is good (who don't like it with all that power) but sometimes it will cause you problem when things is not render correctly ...... when your cheaper PC can get the job done without a problem.

Both mac and window has its own problem when comes to computer world. Nothing is hassle free with computer ......

I went over to mac earlier this year built it myself out of fully compatible parts and all I can say is its fast and solid
Not used logic im still using ableton there isnt much difference on performance compared to my windows box but it has never hung or crashed while recording etc
Only downside with mac is all my fave games are windows only :'(

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1377259058' post='2185408']
In my opinion, as good as but cheaper? No

Same hardware specification and cheaper? Yes

A Skoda VRS has the same 2.0 Turbo engine as an Auto TT but they are twoi entirely different things.

Windows fan boys will argue the toss until they are blue screen of death in the face, but the long and short of it is, a mac has a much greater chance of not letting you down.
[/quote]

Nice to see we're already chucking the "fan boy" term around at Windows users. I think the term fan boy generally pertains to an irrational love of something, and mac is much harder to love for rational reasons.

My main problem with mac is that I just cannot fathom the price tag. It's probably all the bloatware you're getting bundled in and the privilege of being an irritating brand-sheep; but who knows. I can't stand their whole "mac uses the latest in technology and top of the range components" mantra littered throughout their website. Aren't they still using 1300 MHz RAM for gods sake? Unless they haven't updated their website in a while, they're lying through their teeth. Not to mention that anything beyond a dual core processor comes in at entry level of £[i]1500 (!!!)[/i] That's insane. Macs supposedly utilise their hardware better because they use purpose built motherboards for the specific hardware that they're using (built by the fabled Foxconn believe it or not. Yeap; top of the line alright!). You could always just buy a laptop built by a manufacturer of motherboards though; Asus would be a good bet, their motherboards are among the best. Let's not mention the whole "green environmental impact" thing they've got going on. I imagine the biggest impact they have on the environment is as a result of the reduction in human population caused by suicides at their plants (which as I understand they'll now sue the families of the deceased for).

Mac and Windows are not the same kind of business as many are quick to overlook. Most folk aren't fans of Windows, just of PC's. Mac produce one product themselves and sell the end thing; that's it. In some senses they've almost got a little monopoly over their own market. Windows these days simply create an operating system to use on PC. You don't have to use it. There are plenty of fantastic (and free!) Linux based operating systems out there. But the reality is that as PC hardware is an open and competitive market, the prices have to stay competitive. Macs could triple in price and some plonkers would still buy them because they're silver and shiny and have an apple on the back my my mate said apple are totally better because he read it in a magazine but couldn't even tell the difference between a processor and a tractor.

Windows as an operating system is no less stable than Mac. And when something does go wrong on Mac, you're usually buggered. It would be naive to expect a trouble-free experience on any sort of computer; it's the nature of computers. Blue screens are caused by failures in hardware (usually memory or storage). If you're having these problems; you've probably had sh*it components in (and no, because it was built by Dell, it isn't the pinnacle of PC!). Unless you're after a laptop, buying a PC on the high street makes no sense. You could build a monster of a PC (or get one build for you by a one of a plethora of companies that offer this service) with top quality components from the best manufacturers (superior to those used in Macs) for a third of the price of an equivalent Mac. As you mentioned, Logic is max exclusive, but then, you could always just get Reaper for PC. An equally powerful program with a much more 21st-century approach to it's development and pricing methods. The only thing you can't do in Reaper is scoring dots; but it will do near enough everything else better. With all the money you've saved you could invest in a load of killer plug-ins, or take your family on a nice break somewhere!

Edited by Ziphoblat

Loves my Macs (mostly), me - I used a Powerbook G4 for live location recording for years and it never once let me down. If you can keep it as 'just' a recording machine (i.e. keep it off the web as much as possible, leave the Airport modem turned off, only install what you actually need for making music) you should find that it doesn't fall down, will run quickly and easily with any peripherals you see fit to connect to it, and has the added bonus of a sh!t-hot built-in audio engine.

You'd get one of the last generation of Firewire-equipped Macs (personally a must to leave your outboard options open) relatively cheaply, max out the RAM and it should do you sterling service for years to come.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377260603' post='2185443']
Yep, and i see no reason in this day and age to suggest a PC cant be used as a DAW without any issues, unless you have figures to prove otherwise.
Im not slating Macs, but it was the same argument years ago in the print and design industry, and now PC are in the majority if our customers are anything to go by (we only have one, a G5 just in case, had 4 10 years ago).

But anyway, im not going to argue until im blue in the face, my opinion is just that, mine. Im sure the OP will make his own mind up.
[/quote]

Nobody is arguing that a PC isn't capable of doing the job well, the case is, a Mac will be more reliable at doing the same job and I base that only on first had experience.

If a client wants a mac, I won't argue with them, becasue I know I will have less work to do during its term of service. We make less money selling Apple, but we save so many man hours not having to go out and fix them all the blummin time, which, as a support and management service provider is key. My imac has crashed twice in 3 years, my macbook twice in 2 and our mac pro, 3 times since 2008. I will never recomend something that isnt what I belive to be the best option.

I've used FL Studio on a PC without a single problem (not even a crash or lock-up) since 2007, so I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice. But with the advent of reliable emulators for both platforms it's not going to be much of an issue soon. 'Convergence', I believe it's called. :)

Edited by discreet

I switched to Apple a couple of years ago and I adore it. Lady xilddx was after a new laptop and me and a friend both said Mac, she said she didn't want to spend that amount. Then another female non techy friend said she got a MacBook Air and loves it, Lady xilddx duly got a MB Air, and she adores it. She was amazed at how easy it was to use, and how pleasant.

My MacBook Pro has never let me down, and although it cost a grand over two years ago, I could probably get £500 for it right now. They hold value really well. Lovely to use too.

Macs will be more reliable if you're going to connect the computer to the internet, keep all the software up to date, and don't know a lot about computers.

If you keep your music machine disconnected from the internet, and stick with the software versions which work for you (which I recommend) then without a doubt PCs can equal Macs, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1377262343' post='2185492']
Nice to see we're already chucking the "fan boy" term around at Windows users. I think the term fan boy generally pertains to an irrational love of something, and mac is much harder to love for rational reasons.

My main problem with mac is that I just cannot fathom the price tag. It's probably all the bloatware you're getting bundled in and the privilege of being an irritating brand-sheep; but who knows. I can't stand their whole "mac uses the latest in technology and top of the range components" mantra littered throughout their website. Aren't they still using 1300 MHz RAM for gods sake? Unless they haven't updated their website in a while, they're lying through their teeth. Not to mention that anything beyond a dual core processor comes in at entry level of £[i]1500 (!!!)[/i] That's insane. Macs supposedly utilise their hardware better because they use purpose built motherboards for the specific hardware that they're using (built by the fabled Foxconn believe it or not. Yeap; top of the line alright!). You could always just buy a laptop built by a manufacturer of motherboards though; Asus would be a good bet, their motherboards are among the best. Let's not mention the whole "green environmental impact" thing they've got going on. I imagine the biggest impact they have on the environment is as a result of the reduction in human population caused by suicides at their plants (which as I understand they'll now sue the families of the deceased for).

Mac and Windows are not the same kind of business as many are quick to overlook. Most folk aren't fans of Windows, just of PC's. Mac produce one product themselves and sell the end thing; that's it. In some senses they've almost got a little monopoly over their own market. Windows these days simply create an operating system to use on PC. You don't have to use it. There are plenty of fantastic (and free!) Linux based operating systems out there. But the reality is that as PC hardware is an open and competitive market, the prices have to stay competitive. Macs could triple in price and some plonkers would still buy them because they're silver and shiny and have an apple on the back my my mate said apple are totally better because he read it in a magazine but couldn't even tell the difference between a processor and a tractor.

Windows as an operating system is no less stable than Mac. And when something does go wrong on Mac, you're usually buggered. It would be naive to expect a trouble-free experience on any sort of computer; it's the nature of computers. Blue screens are caused by failures in hardware (usually memory or storage). If you're having these problems; you've probably had sh*it components in (and no, because it was built by Dell, it isn't the pinnacle of PC!). Unless you're after a laptop, buying a PC on the high street makes no sense. You could build a monster of a PC (or get one build for you by a one of a plethora of companies that offer this service) with top quality components from the best manufacturers (superior to those used in Macs) for a third of the price of an equivalent Mac. As you mentioned, Logic is max exclusive, but then, you could always just get Reaper for PC. An equally powerful program with a much more 21st-century approach to it's development and pricing methods. The only thing you can't do in Reaper is scoring dots; but it will do near enough everything else better. With all the money you've saved you could invest in a load of killer plug-ins, or take your family on a nice break somewhere!
[/quote]

[font="Calibri"][size="2"][size=2] [/size][/size][/font]

[size=5][font="Calibri"]This is just diabtribe.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font="Calibri"]Chucking terms around? When I refer to a windows fan boy, it’s just that, a windows fan boy. An avid ‘windows can do no wrong’ fan boy. That is NOT a windows user.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font="Calibri"] I am a windows user. I am a PC user. I am writing this on one now. I like PC’s, I have a windows 7 system, a windows 8 system and we run server 2003, 08/08 r2 and 2012. I manage all exchange iterations from 2003 up until 2013. They all have their quirks and benefits. BUT, I prefer OSX, it is simple (for me) better. I am not being blindly pro apple here. It is just what I have experienced and it comes from a balanced and non-bias background. [/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Calibri"]I do however get frustrated by these Anti apple rants by people who clearly don’t have all the facts. The OP wants an honest opinion, not some anti Apple waffle full of misinformation or indeed an anti pc waffle full of misinformation. I could pick your post apart, but I have fuffing clients ringing me telling me their pc isn’t working as it should. [/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Calibri"]If anybody has any genuine, none bias experience of PC or Apple, who has some kind of credence to what they are saying, I am sure the OP will appreciate their time an effort. [/font][/size]

My genuine experience of using a Mac as a DAW was while at uni. There was a very nice pro tools rig with HD24 controller. It was wonderful to use until it crashed. It crashes every time we used it. I lost all of my projects twice over and was given an average mark after the uni tech gave up on trying to fix it.

I've been to several pro studios running Macs and they all seemed fine. I've also been to several pro studios running PCs and they're find too!

Personally I prefer to run a PC because I know how to fix it.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1377263511' post='2185525']

[size=5][font=Calibri]This is just diabtribe.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=Calibri]Chucking terms around? When I refer to a windows fan boy, it’s just that, a windows fan boy. An avid ‘windows can do no wrong’ fan boy. That is NOT a windows user.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=Calibri]I am a windows user. I am a PC user. I am writing this on one now. I like PC’s, I have a windows 7 system, a windows 8 system and we run server 2003, 08/08 r2 and 2012. I manage all exchange iterations from 2003 up until 2013. They all have their quirks and benefits. BUT, I prefer OSX, it is simple (for me) better. I am not being blindly pro apple here. It is just what I have experienced and it comes from a balanced and non-bias background. [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=Calibri]I do however get frustrated by these Anti apple rants by people who clearly don’t have all the facts. The OP wants an honest opinion, not some anti Apple waffle full of misinformation or indeed an anti pc waffle full of misinformation. I could pick your post apart, but I have fuffing clients ringing me telling me their pc isn’t working as it should. [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=Calibri]If anybody has any genuine, none bias experience of PC or Apple, who has some kind of credence to what they are saying, I am sure the OP will appreciate their time an effort. [/font][/size]
[/quote]

I just found it amusing that the term should appear so hastily in the thread. There's no bias here. I use Macs on a regular basis. I'd love to know what "misinformation" I've provided though. Pretty much all of it is an assessment of Apples own website! You might not like the tone of my post, but I too get frustrated by Mac users who perpetuate the "windows is unreliable" nonsense because of experience with cheaper machines using cheaper hardware.

Macs are essentially ,closed' systems, so Apple maintains strict quality control over all aspect of what's running on them. This is the main basis for their supposed reliability. But it generally forces you to do things their way ( not necessarily a bad thing).

Wintel PCs are essentiall ,open' systems, so it's a bit of a free for all in terms of what you can run on them and software compatibility is not really managed as strictly as it can be with Macs.

In my experience, people have problems with PCs when they try and use them for everything and load them up with tons of stuff. However, they are so relatively cheap that there's really no need to try to run, say, 'office' on a music editing machine. I've got four PCs - a server to store and backup all my stuff, an 'office' PC, a video editing PC and a music recording/editing PC. Before I'm accused of extravagance, none is more powerful than a 3GHz P4 and all run WinXP. Keeping them 'lean and mean' is easy and means I have no reliability problems. I'd be less confident about buying a super duper latest spec PC and trying to use it as a multi purpose machine, but unfortunately I may be forced to upgrade next year when Microsoft stop supporting XP - which is a real shame when it does everything I need.