Why become a member? ×

Not very rock and roll...

nottswarwick

I should look into it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've had it for 3 years now. One day I woke up like I had slept funny on it, it was stiff. And so was my wrist fnarr fnarr.
No, seriously, my wris felt sprained, and I assumed it would go better in a day or two,

I think I had been fitting a roof rack the day before, and lots of bass stretches too, and a few drumming gigs, and finally it coundnt take any more.

I've got two of those braces, a matching pair.

About two years ago I had to go to my GP because it was so bad, and they gave me wrist splints and told me to try to manage it. I basically stopped playing bass guitar, quit my main gig, and both wrists are almost completely recovered now. The right wrist is still a bit scratchy sometimes but that's because I use a computer all day at work. For what it's worth I can play double bass as much as I like with no wrist problems at all, it's bass guitar that inflames my tendons.

If it's your fretting hand suffering, have you thought about switching to a 32" scale bass? Also I know it's obvious but moving the first position as close to your body as possible is massively beneficial, so try to get the strap snug right up against the side of your neck.

You have to make some adjustments if it's your living. Also concentrate on how much effort you're using to stop the notes, how tense you are. Concentrate on improving that.

Edit: There's also the option of steroid injections, or surgery with its associated risks. I know professional bass player and BCer Geoff Chalmers had surgery on both wrists in the past and it was very successful for him, but for me it would be a last resort.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1377027704' post='2182483']
What is Reynauds?
[/quote]
Most people associate it with Vibration White Finger, where the circulation has real problems getting to where it needs to be, but it affects other parts of the body as well. My Wife and Daughter in Law both suffer from it, and need to wear thick gloves when it gets a bit colder, as well as thick socks, thick jumpers etc.It can be excruciatingly painful at times, when the blood flow either slows down appreciably or afterwards, when it starts to return.
(Basic explanation, It gets a bit more complicated the more you look into it)

Edited by BigAlonBass

I had this tendonitis in my left wrist a few years ago and still get it flaring up from time to time, so you have my deepest sympathies. Voltarol Emugel seems to help - don't know if you've tried that or not.

Ultimately the best thing I found for it was acupuncture. I had to pay privately for the physio to stick needles in my arm but it seemed to sort me right out.

Edited by paul_5