Why become a member? ×

Recognition

lurksalot

we played a local town carnival this summer. I didn't think it went well.

Afterwards, I wandered over to the lads selling beer and sausages, would they sell me a beer? Yes they would, and wasn't it a great carnival? Was I having a good time? No I wasn't, I'd been crap.

Pause.

Oh you were playing?!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1377014385' post='2182241']
Me and Big Norm started it early nineties with a singer, Dave Wells, drummers Dave then Phil. Then we got a welsh guy on vocals called Clive, who I believe is still with Norm now, along with Mark Ford on drums. I left for while having fallen out with Norm then came back for bit until Norm went off to do something else. As far as I know it's still going as Goliath, the story is that Norm and Clive decided to get the original band together, I'm still waiting for the phone call .
[/quote]

They are very much still going as Goliath with a billion lineup changes. Norm is the only constant.

This doesn't really fit but, it's a strange recognition in a way.

At a recent pub gig, which was rather good, an enthusiastic punter, who'd been right next to the guitarist's side of stage , complimented him with .... " Great bass playing mate!!" :o

Bet that hasn't happened a whole lot?

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1377104167' post='2183429']
This doesn't really fit but, it's a strange recognition in a way.

At a recent pub gig, which was rather good, an enthusiastic punter, who'd been right next to the guitarist's side of stage , complimented him with .... " Great bass playing mate!!" :o

Bet that hasn't happened a whole lot?
[/quote]

Ha ha, that's a good 'un.

Slightly similar to something that happened to me with my acting 'career'. I have a 'rival' in our local drama circles - another woman of a similar age, build and colouring. So naturally we are often up for the same parts, and often she beats me to it :blush:

She came to see me in my triumphant performance as Linda Loman in 'Death of a Salesman'. Whilst in the bar afterwards, an audience member went up to [b]her [/b]and congratulated her on her performance. She always gets the glory, even when I get the part! :( (We are good mates tho')

Never been recognised as a bassist.... But used to get recognised a lot for about 6 months when I was a teenage oboeist.... We went on a tour of China, and we're on local TV, Radio and in the press even got to number 72 in the charts!

After a performance on Blue Peter I'd get stopped ALL THE TIME but generally from people wanting to take the piss as a said "Mr X (name protected as its unusual) he is a teacher in our school and him and his wife Mrs X arranged it" so people wanted to have a go by saying "Mr X what is his wives name again".

Interestingly, it shows my modern attitude even then, as I didn't take hubbies surname when we married :P. well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol:

I remember back to one of the last Scottish Guitar Shows at the SECC. There I was widdling away at age 18, talking to a guitarist with lots of curly hair talking about muso stuff. Such a nice guy.

Later on I went into one of the big demo stages where I see the same guitarist on stage talking about stuff. It was Geoff Whitehorn pre his Paul Rodgers stuff and he was demoing for Marshall. One of the Marshall guys asked "who uses effects?" to which Geoff replies "Derek Does"

Good job I don't have an ego otherwise my head wouldn't have made it out of there. I still have a signed copy of his album

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1377125475' post='2183840']
I think you find I'm Spartacus as it happens :)

Top story Debs I think 72 in the charts puts you top of the tree in the recognition stakes........................ So far ;)
[/quote]

It was only for one week and the song was pants :lol:

My girlfriend plays a lead role in a sell-out West End musical. She can be on the train coming home sitting next to people who have just watched her on stage, listen to them talking about the show, and not be recognised.

She doesn't play bass though. That might explain it.

Edited by Zenitram

Once played a gig at Myerscough College one mid week night
Room was busy but we got virtually no reaction (originals band), students mainly sitting round talking etc.

On the following Saturday afternoon I was in a busy Our Price (remember them?) in Blackburn Town Centre.
I hear "Hey, it's him out of that band that other night!" and a group of 5 or 6 people come over and start talking.
The rest of the people in the shop all turn round for a look, while the students say all the usual...though you were brilliant, do they have your records in here etc.
Strange I says to them as we though we bombed by getting no reaction at the gig.

Felt famous for a split second......(and couldn't get out quick enough...)

Well I'll be buggered! I've just been recognized as a bassist. I'm sat in a cafe in a sw***y hotel having a sparkling water after my swim and sauna.

Ok admittedly I'm wearing a "Fear the bass player" t shirt. But a waiter just came up to me and said "Hello my lovely. Do you play in a Pink Floyd band" "yes" I reply "I saw you in Caerphilly last month and you were awesome" "thanks" I reply trying to seem cool :D

Don't [i]think[/i] I've ever been recognised in the street (we're not that famous). Closest I've got is a gig we played where we knew A Famous Bass Player was going to be in the audience (I'd prefer not to say who), so we had a bit of a chinwag with him prior to the gig and arranged for him to come up on stage and jam with the band - I handed him my bass and cleared off for one song. It went down well.

Was just in the gents after our set when some feller walked in and stood next to me, eyes focused straight ahead of course, and said (to the wall),
"I thought you were better than 'im."
Made my evening, that did.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1377274513' post='2185739']
Don't [i]think[/i] I've ever been recognised in the street (we're not that famous). Closest I've got is a gig we played where we knew A Famous Bass Player was going to be in the audience (I'd prefer not to say who), so we had a bit of a chinwag with him prior to the gig and arranged for him to come up on stage and jam with the band - I handed him my bass and cleared off for one song. It went down well.

Was just in the gents after our set when some feller walked in and stood next to me, eyes focused straight ahead of course, and said (to the wall),
"I thought you were better than 'im."
Made my evening, that did.
[/quote]

Thing is, being famous , does not by default make you a great bass player, If your famous, you were maybe just in the right place at the right time and maybe in cahoots with a talented singer/guitarist. Not wanting to spoil your moment mate, which would be class by the way ;)

Edited by iceonaboy