Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any bel cantos

tommyjamesallen

+1 - the thing is that new strings stretch to the bass they are fitted to and can sound shockingly bad or just plain dead sometimes when they are recycled - could put you off what would otherwise have been a great discovery! Unfortunately the only way to properly evaluate strings is to buy from new but a second hand pair might give you an idea Are you after an all out orchestral string? - the Belcantos 'sing beautifully' when bowed ( hence the name! ). Good luck with it !

Hi ubassman. My work is mainly pizz. At the moment I have a helicore hybrid d and g and Spiro e and a. I play an old German swell back which is quite bright and punchy sounding, but I'm looking for something with a bit less tension and a darker sound, mainly on the A D and G. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

The Belcantos will give you a really gentle and rich 'pung' kind of orchestral pizz sound - they are the strings that are used by mostly classical players and will have a darker sound than the Spiros and Heliocores which will be brighter and even have a bit of a 'growl' to them - desirable as a sound for many an ear !

The tension will depend on the mensur of your bass as well as bridge height ( and of course the material and cross section that the string is). Strings are designed to ring out perfectly at a certain span of string length and so for example if you have an instrument with a slightly shortened mensur of 103cm and you put a string on that is designed for a 106cm mensur then it won't get quite up to tension and won't perform as well it could .

My starting point would be to have a measure up of your bass and then look at the manufacturer's data . A lot of strings are available in a choice of three flavours , light , medium or high tension. No doubt other BC-ers will have a view as to alternatives but once you know your mensur and can see whats compatible it may narrow the field down a bit - good luck with it ! ;)

Belcanto's wouldn't be the best for pizz work, but the A and D do work well with the E being to dark and not enough response for straight up pizz work. But i'd take the over any D'addario Strings, hated all the one's ive tried(Hybrids and their orchestral string not kaplans). I do want to try the kaplans as a bowing string though.