Why become a member? ×

What Do YOU Play?

acidbass

Although I voted Warwick, it depends on the gig - I used to use the 4-string fretted Thumb for the covers band but now use the Antoniotsai 5-string. The 4-string fretless Thumb does open mic house band duty and the barn dance gigs in conjunction with the NS WAV-4. The JD Thumb is currently the least used but the first one I'd save from a burning building.

Im not going to insult my fender jazz by putting a picture of her here for you all to lust after her. I think you all know what she looks like and I did indulge her with a tortoise shell scratch plate recently. What worries me most is the state of decoration most of your houses are in. As the late Bernard Manning would say .... it's a f%%%%%g disgrace.

• 2 weeks later...

Peavey International Series (dynabass) - tried other basses but love these - have recently bought a blue one and a green one to keep my original red one company (and still keeping a casual lookout for a black one) :)

Edited by colda

My basses are as follows:

[b]Ken Smith BMT Elite G 5 string[/b] - made in 1994 as a fretless, I bought it off Reba McIntire's bass player and had it refurbed at the Ken Smith factory. Played it as a fretless for a while but then decided to get it fretted by Paul Herman (ex-Wal) and he did a superb job. It's pretty much my main bass, unless I am in the mood for....

[b]Wal Mk III 5 string[/b] - made in 2006, the last but one built by Pete the Fish. Totally tricked out to my spec with solid walnut core, spalted maple facings (supplied by me after a ski-ing holiday in Vermont), custom pickup spacing etc. Given the fragile state of the company at the time, and indeed since, I had Pete make me a fretted and unlined fretless neck as I wasn't sure there'd ever be another Wal made. Wonderful bass made by a wonderful guy.

For my blues band gigs my main bass has to be my [b]1996 Fender Jazz[/b], all original March 1966 (same month I was born) neck and most of the parts (either when I bought the bass or since I've owned it), but with a repro body by Bravewood Guitars. Without doubt the best passive bass I have ever played.

For pub jams, home noodling, it's a [b]Martin BC40[/b] 4 string. Sourced off eBay from a Martin employee who'd bought it from the factory; he told me it was the final prototype, and as it has no serial number I have no reason to doubt him. This means the bass is early 90s, probably 1991/92. No pic for this yet :)

Cheers all

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i own 4 basses;

Squire Bronco; My first bass bought for me 6 years ago, if i knew back then what i do now, i wouldve got a better bass, but atleast it was a start.

Marlin Sidewinder; Currently being badly customised by me, in an attempt to learn more. So far ive de-fretted the neck, filled, smoothed and laquered the fingerboard, sanded the body down and managed to get a dual-jazz pickup like the ones on Am-Dlx P basses.

SX SJB-LTD2; owned since february, havnt seen another one anywhere, great bass. I recently installed Dimarzio split J's in it.

Ibanez ATK405; the newest member, my main bass now. The first active bass ive played/owned, so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lucky enough to play and own some really cool basses.

Right now, my main bass is my G&L L2000 Tribute.

Absoutely love this bass - playability, action was set just right and reliability.

I don't work for the company or have an endorsement (I wish :) ) or anything, it's just that this bass has reginited my passion for playing again.

Edited by thebassmandave

My current crop.

Bongo 4HH, Fugly as sin!!! BUT you forget that once its plugged in, easily the best sounding bass I've played.

Lakland 5501 Dlx, stunning looking bass and sounds HUGE!! I was chuffed to bits to be able to buy this back. Now all I need is my Marcus Jazz!! :)

The beater for Pub gigs I dont want to take the Bongo or Lakland to. Its been played about 5 times and is mint!!!

And the Rig. GK 1001RB II 700 watts into an Epifani UL310

I dont own the Warwick any more.