Why become a member? ×

What Do YOU Play?

acidbass

I really like Yamaha TRBs (no Jap manufacturers in the list!) and have two. However, the sound is just a little too laid back for the stuff I play live so I always take my MM Stingray to gigs. I usually carry along my Precision Fretless for a couple of songs and as a backup (in theory, but I hope I never have to play a full set on the fretless)

Well, I have more than 10 basses (after selling about 5 basses): Sadowsky, Fender, MTD, Woodandtronics, Status, Washburn ac etc.
Also Epifani, Acoustic Image, Schroeder, Markbass, Phil Jones amplification.
Millenia TD1, A-Designes Reddi...

Edited by margusalviste

• 2 weeks later...

I play a Fender 1964 precision(pre-CBS)and it sounds beautiful. My second bass is an Hayman 4040.Lovely neck (Maple).I also have an Aria acoustic for when I'm feeling lazy and I can't be bothered to plug in. By the way, where can I find spare parts for the 4040? ( Hopeless cause ? ).

My Lakland DJ5 is the main gigging bass, but I have a DJ4 and an EBMM Stingray 4 also, just for the hell of it :) Got a Warmoth Fretless Jazz in the works too, and one day will pick up a good Precision! (Possibly another Warmoth build, depending on how the Fretless goes!)

Edited by Higgie

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's an ACG Recurve! Here's the current stable:

Pays to be over 40 with a wife that doesn't mind adding one to the collection every couple of years! Here's what's in the photo:

Top from left:

1999 Washburn AB-2
1978 Wal ProIIe
1998 Sadowsky PJ
1999/2000 (?) James Trussart Steelcaster
2000 Warmoth Franken-Jazz

Bottom from left:

2005 Marchlewski custom design
1978 Rickenbacker 4002
2006 AC Guitars Recurve
1985 Wal MK1
2005 Reverend Rumblefish 5'er

[quote name='basse' post='295408' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:05 PM']Mine's an ACG Recurve! Here's the current stable:

Pays to be over 40 with a wife that doesn't mind adding one to the collection every couple of years! Here's what's in the photo:

Top from left:

1999 Washburn AB-2
1978 Wal ProIIe
1998 Sadowsky PJ
1999/2000 (?) James Trussart Steelcaster
2000 Warmoth Franken-Jazz

Bottom from left:

2005 Marchlewski custom design
1978 Rickenbacker 4002
2006 AC Guitars Recurve
1985 Wal MK1
2005 Reverend Rumblefish 5'er[/quote]

oooh, now that is a stable and a half, hey whats the Trussart like?

[quote name='odub' post='295416' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:16 AM']oooh, now that is a stable and a half, hey whats the Trussart like?[/quote]

It's REALLY nice. I'm surprised with the range of tones that I can get from its 2 jazz pickups. I usually don't like that combination because I like to be able to dial in a lot of crunch from time to time and this is able to do that. In fact, I've sold almost all of my 2J basses because I couldn't get that. But the Trussart will deliver it.

The neck is quite comfortable and not overly chunky (I've got small hands). Right now it needs to be set up - or I need to put higher tension strings on it - because there's a little fret buzz. It's fairly average weight and fits in very comfortably, probably mid way in the range of my other basses, I'm guessing about 9 pounds.

The sustain is unbelievable, but then again the body is metal. I was a little worried about it feeding back because the body is hollow and because it's made of metal but they've dealt with that and there is nothing to worry about from that end.

Overall there are a ton of positives from the way it sounds, to the way it plays to the way it looks!

There are 2 small design - well for want of a better word, let me call them "flaws" - that should probably be addressed.

1) The body under the strings, where the pickguard usually sits has holes cut in it for a neat pattern (and to cut down on the body weight).... When you're really digging in and attacking the strings that becomes a bit of an iritant because it's not smooth and can be a distraction, if not causing your fingers some pain due to the repeated slamming. I hope that in the future they take the edge off of those or come up with another design for places where fingers may strike the body.

2) The top of the body where your arm comes over it to get to the strings is very boxy and can also be an iritant. Although, that's no different than one of the old, original slab body Fenders before they started adding the ergonomic cut-away tapering or a Rickenbacker 4001/3. You can get used to it and adapt your playing style. Although, I noticed that they've started incorporating that taper in newer models.

All in all, it's a great bass. I'm not sure it's worth the asking price of $3,000 USD or more to pick one up new, but I was certainly happy to find mine at a significantly reduced price second-hand.

If anyone wants additional photos of anything there, let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks for the Trussart info. The new price is now $4500 according to their web site so it sounds like you picked up a bit of a bargain there!

Would love to see some more photos of it

On the subject of uncontoured bodies do you have any problems with the Rumblefish in that respect?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='295912' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:41 PM']Thanks for the Trussart info. The new price is now $4500 according to their web site so it sounds like you picked up a bit of a bargain there!

Would love to see some more photos of it

On the subject of uncontoured bodies do you have any problems with the Rumblefish in that respect?[/quote]

Wow, didn't realize they were asking so much now. I'll take a few extra photos over the weekend and post them here on Monday next week.

To answer your question about the Rumblefish... Not really, it's got a small piece of rounded metal placed at the top of the body that helps with any "gouging" issues. The body is also smaller so between those 2 things, it's actually pretty comfortable.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='2472' date='May 20 2007, 04:14 AM']Other- Peavey Milestone III. Cheap as chips but it has served me well as my only bass guitar for over 6 years, and has seen much action. Solid like a rock :)[/quote]
i have a peavey bass guitar other