Why become a member? ×

Best stainless steel roundwound strings?

TRBboy

I HAVE to use stainless strings as I get an allergic reaction to nickel. for years I used Elites and then I found Rotosound did stainless as well and much cheaper, so I changed and havent looked back. I have not tried lots of others , so cant really comment on the pros and cons of each but the Roto's are spot on for me ;)

Edited by iceonaboy

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1376895570' post='2180344']
Small British Company with a nice ethic, IMO.
[/quote]

True - but intestesting that when buyers of Barefaced cabinets trot that one out it attracts criticism and some say that it is no excuse for (what is perceived as) inconsistent QC.

Just sayin'... :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376903114' post='2180438']
True - but intestesting that when buyers of Barefaced cabinets trot that one out it attracts criticism and some say that it is no excuse for (what is perceived as) inconsistent QC.

Just sayin'... :)
[/quote]

Indeed... I can buy cheap but not for cheap's sake, and I don't mind paying a premium if that premium is tangible as far as I am concerned.
What I don't like is cheap product at a premium price.
I didn't feel DR were worth the premium and when I stopped buying them, I thought they had QC issues. They may have sorted these out or the percpetion was mine..but I know what think and experienced... and I am not likely to go back at their price point.

A pet hate of mine is companies that put out a good product..sold it on to a BIG player, lost the ethos and the control of the man/men that made the company good
when the accountants stepped in and shifted production out to somewhere ( far east ..?? ) so the stock holders could max out the dividend.

Stellar marquees that went this way...IMV... and are not the same for it, are SWR and Eden to name just 2.

Cheap and cheerful, but has anyone got any experience of the dunlop s/s strings? I'm sure I remember reading that one of the "Boutique" type of bass manufacturers was using them on their basses, and also that some fairly notable players from the states were using them (out of choice!).

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1376929436' post='2181056']
Cheap and cheerful, but has anyone got any experience of the dunlop s/s strings? I'm sure I remember reading that one of the "Boutique" type of bass manufacturers was using them on their basses, and also that some fairly notable players from the states were using them (out of choice!).
[/quote]

Dunlop strings are very high-profile at the moment , it seems to me . I have never tried the stainless steel , but the nickel ones I have had were O.K but fairly unremarkable overall . At least they aren't particulaly expensive . One thing I would say about these Dunlop strings is that they claim to be low-tension , but to my sensibilities they are just "normal" tension , not tight and not slack . They are certainly not elastic-feeling like DR round cores such as Hi Beams , Sunbeams , Fatbeams ect .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376933180' post='2181146']
Dunlop strings are very high-profile at the moment , it seems to me . I have never tried the stainless steel , but the nickel ones I have had were O.K but fairly unremarkable overall . At least they aren't particulaly expensive . One thing I would say about these Dunlop strings is that they claim to be low-tension , but to my sensibilities they are just "normal" tension , not tight and not slack . They are certainly not elastic-feeling like DR round cores such as Hi Beams , Sunbeams , Fatbeams ect .
[/quote]

I've put a set of Dunlop Stainless Steels on my P (45 to 105) and I'm be underwhelmed if I'm honest. So I won't be using them again. I'll be reading this post with great interest to see where I go next. However I've used DR Sunbeams and various flavours of La Bella strings I think I'll mainly be looking at these guys going froward.

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1376941360' post='2181331']
I've put a set of Dunlop Stainless Steels on my P (45 to 105) and I'm be underwhelmed if I'm honest. So I won't be using them again. I'll be reading this post with great interest to see where I go next. However I've used DR Sunbeams and various flavours of La Bella strings I think I'll mainly be looking at these guys going froward.
[/quote]

I would say that Dunlop Nickel are nowhere near as good -sounding as Sunbeams , and certainly don't last anything like as long . I would venture that the same could be said for the stainless steel counterparts of each brand .

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1376929436' post='2181056']
[/quote]
Using a set of 40-125's on my YamahaTRB - first time I've tried them and they seem ok so far. I usually use either Elites Stadium series or Rotosounds, but couldn't get hold of a set in time for a couple of gigs I had coming up, so went for the Dunlops. Obviously they will dull over time, but doesn't that happen to every set of roundwounds?

Thanks for the input guys, some very interesting suggestions and opinions. I'll have to see how flush I'm feeling when it's time to get some more, but I do quite fancy trying some DRs. The Dunlops are tempting because of the price, strings direct have my gauge for £15.95 or something at the moment!

Well despite some folks opinions above, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some Dunlops tonight. Every other review I've seen has been very positive, and as strings direct have my gauge (40-120) ridiculously cheap at the moment, I thought it was worth a punt.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1377027131' post='2182462']
Well despite some folks opinions above, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some Dunlops tonight. Every other review I've seen has been very positive, and as strings direct have my gauge (40-120) ridiculously cheap at the moment, I thought it was worth a punt.
[/quote]

Yep, that's why I bought mine (45 to 105) - strings direct as well as it happens. I would be interested to know what you think of them - the strings not Strings Direct - I already know they're pretty damn good :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1376942932' post='2181387']
I've been using Ken Smith Masters recently - stainless steel, nice & bright, good 'tension' and last a fair while. IMO they sound as good as DRs and other more expensive brands but only cost £20 a set!
[/quote]

Good strings, agree

I also have a question regarding stainless strings so I'll post it in here instead of starting a new topic.

I'm looking at some Rotosound Swing Stainless Steel stings and I'm also mucking about with different gauges until I reach perfection. The scale I'm going for is 50-110 (long scale). The string lengths for the Rotosounds are 37 inches which is more than enough for my silly old Jazz Bass.

But, I want a 45 on the top because a 50 just won't tune that high as I'm tuned to Drop C. A 45 will, so I had a look at StringsDirect for some individual strings:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/913419/rotosound-zb045-stainless-steel-roundwound-bass-guitar-single-string-045/

Found one, but the length of the string is apparently 32 to 34. I'm not sure if this means the length of the string or the scale length it's designed for as it doesn't say how long the actual string is. My concern is that it won't reach the tuning peg at the end of the Jazz' headstock.

I'm sure it would reach but I'm just looking for a second opinion.

Cheers.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376828653' post='2179556']
Just shows how subjective this all is - every set of DRs I've ever tried I have hated.
[/quote]

:D :D Much to my benefit ! After having that set of you, they're all I use on my BB3000.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1377188046' post='2184571']
I reckon Elixirs must be the mutts cos I have had a set on my acoustic guitar which gets played every day, sometimes for long periods , and they are still bright sounding after months. The bass strings are probably just as good
[/quote]
I use elixir electric guitar and acoustic strings and they are fantastic so i tried the bass ones and they are the worst strings ever. They just feel wrong under the fingers and not just because they they are coated (i get along quite well with drs) they didnt sound as bright as i expected and the tension was too high for me too.

Edited by winterfire666