Why become a member? ×

Rush - Clockwork Angels DVD trailer

wateroftyne

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377087182' post='2183141']
I don't get this return to form thing. I would have detested it if they had decided to return to the styles of their heyday, it would have sounded so contrived. I think they made the album they wanted to make.
[/quote]

A return to form is not neccesarilly a return to their old styles . The simple fact is that , like so many ( nearly all , in fact ) bands , they had a creative phase when they turned out consistantly great work . Since the end of that fertile period , they have suffered from a relative paucity of good material . It's not a question of them doing it like they used to . It's that they don't do it [i]as well [/i]as they used to . The whole point is that they used to evolve from one album to the next in a significant and artistically rewarding way . The plain fact is that for a long time the most part their albums have had way too many tracks on that were just filler , and their overall musical direction seems confused and ill-judged . They went off the boil decades ago , and mainly trade on their ( deserved) reputation and back catalogue , both of which are formiddable .

Edited by Dingus

Who exactly is the bench mark for a great band that constantly delivers over a period of 40 years? I really would like to know because it sure isn't the Stones. I struggle to think of any band who has gone that long and still manages to delight album after album, with no slightly "off" songs.

I think its amazing that they have stayed together making music. Ok, some say they drifted off form for a while, but the new album is arguably one of their best ever, so they have managed to produce again.

40 years is a long time to keep writing quality songs :blink:

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1377095580' post='2183292']
Who exactly is the bench mark for a great band that constantly delivers over a period of 40 years? I really would like to know because it sure isn't the Stones. I struggle to think of any band who has gone that long and still manages to delight album after album, with no slightly "off" songs.

I think its amazing that they have stayed together making music. Ok, some say they drifted off form for a while, but the new album is arguably one of their best ever, so they have managed to produce again.

40 years is a long time to keep writing quality songs :blink:
[/quote]

You are absolutely right . Which band has made consistantly great albums for 40 years ? I can't think of anybody , either . Maybe a lot of bands carry on way too long , but , then again , you can see why they do But what any band creates at any given time can only be judged on its' respective merits , and , to my ears, recent Rush albums have precious little to merit them , I am sorry to say . I don't doubt that legions of Rush fans will vehmently disagree with me - they always did inspire a loyal following - and maybe Clockwork Angels isn't as bad as their other more recent efforts ( I will give it another listen a.s.a.p and let you know what I think . Maybe I am missing something ) , but that is faint praise for a group of musicians with the unique talents of Lee , Lifeson and Peart . The World is still the same , water still doesn't flow uphill and the sun comes up every day , so there is no real reason why they can't rediscover their true potential , at least one more time .

Another part of the reason I can't get on with CA is the concept.

Steampunk? C'mon... It's so cheesy a 12-year-old Dr. Who fan would struggle to could dig it.

Bear in mind I'm someone who has adored the band for most of my life, and I still do. They just frustrate me at the minute.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377111486' post='2183564']

Er... OK, does this mean we still like Rush now, or not..? :D
[/quote]

Some days I can't get enough. Other days I can't listen to a single track.

I was 17 when Power Wondows came out and 14 when I first heard Moving Pictures. Still to this day my favourite albums. Lots of stuff was happening in my life. The other albums are good Farewell to Kings a great one I discovered at 17.

Some people are the same with the Beatles. I can't stand any if their stuff but then Lenon died when I was a teenager and I missed all the 60s hype.

Music doesn't just create emotions, it rekindles them. Clockwork Angels is good, better if you're in a positive mood. There are some days I can't listen to it.

That's me, I hate the Beatles , I hate the doors , I hate Rod Stewart. I realise that these artists are all popular and reach out to millions, I just don't like them. Rush are one of my favourites, therefore I enjoy their music and can't understand when people call it awful. That's what taste is I suppose

I like Rush. I'm pleased that they are still making music and clearly enjoying each other's company. What else would they do? :)

Clockwork Angels is still growing on me, but I still find the "sound" of that album rather wearying. No dynamics. Too full-on all the time.

Interestingly, Caress of Steel is just about my favourite Rush album! So what type of a fan does that make me? :lol:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1377168805' post='2184171'] I still find the "sound" of that album rather wearying. No dynamics. Too full-on all the time.
[/quote]Agreed, although it was the incessant playing of it on Planet Rock that got me more interested in Rush; I've always like Spirit..... but never really paid too much attention to anything else, now I'll happily listen to anything they've done, current fave tracks are Far Cry and Red Sector A. I don't think they're any different from any other long standing band with a big fan base when it comes out to releasing DVDs, after all it is show 'business', as I don't have any of their DVDs ill probably get this.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1377595929' post='2189078']Yes, Geddy's voice has changed, but I wish I could sing and play at all, let alone do what he does singularly in either department. Give the guy a break.[/quote]

Good call! The guy is 60 years old and has been at the top of his profession for nearly forty years. OK, he is not the greatest singer, the greatest bassist or the greatest songwriter - but put his abilities at all three together and you have a very talented guy. I can never understand why he gets such a hard time on here. He has inspired thousands of bassists around the world and is probably still doing so.

Bands like the Stones get criticised for basically staying the same for decades. Rush attract their critics for the opposite reasons - because they[i] have[/i] changed tack several times over the course of their career!

Music fans and pundits are so fickle! :(

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1377614614' post='2189408'] the songs haven't been good for ages
[/quote]

Do we have any theories as to why that might be? The pot of creativity running dry? Years of wealth and celebrity making it difficult to recapture the "hunger" of earlier years? Neil's new life (thousands of miles away) with a new wife and young daughter? Boredom?

From what I know of the guys, they love being together and playing together and music is what they do. I fail to believe that this is the end for them.But I would love to think that they might find their lost mojo at some stage...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1377624340' post='2189579']

Do we have any theories as to why that might be?
[/quote]

Yip.

In't old days - and the golden era specifically - they were consistently writing and jamming AS A BAND (Apologies for shouty capitals - can't get italics :-) ) in soundchecks and the studio.

They would spend time on the songs, try them out live.. refine them, tweak them, throw out the bits that don't work. And, more importantly, develop the melodies and the syncopation of the words.

These days, they have X amount of time booked in the studio. They turn up, shunt all their ideas together in ProTools, and slap a half-formed melody on top with forced, wooden phrasing that doesn't really fit.

And, on the last album, the producer conducted Neil while he played the parts. FFS.

I really like Neil's drumming on CA. He didn't spend weeks working out the parts as he has done on most of the more recent albums, where the final drum parts were laid down close to the end of the recording. He just went for what felt right at the time & I think you can hear a bit of spontaneity in his playing (something Rush have lacked for quite a number of years).

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1377625770' post='2189615']
And, on the last album, the producer conducted Neil while he played the parts. FFS.
[/quote]

Yeah, it certainly seems to be the case that modern rock albums reflect the sound of the producer rather than the sound of the band. I guess that has always been true to an extent, but it just seems more so now. Time for a return to Broon? :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1377676971' post='2190103']

Yeah, it certainly seems to be the case that modern rock albums reflect the sound of the producer rather than the sound of the band. I guess that has always been true to an extent, but it just seems more so now. Time for a return to Broon? :)
[/quote]

I suspect this has always been the case. Maybe the band have more influence and what we're hearing now is what they want us to. They're 60 years old, their tastes have changed and been influenced just like ours have.

Nico McBrain of Iron Maiden gets very defensive if you ask him when they're going to produce music like they used to.

The music that the majority of the fans seemed to like, the band weren't too keen on. At a time when commercially they were at their height.

Don't we all bemoan having to play Mustang Sally? The fans love it but musically we're all so much above it...

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1377678390' post='2190121']Don't we all bemoan having to play Mustang Sally? The fans love it but musically we're all so much above it...
[/quote]

True... but would we feel the same if we had actually written Mustang Sally? ;)

I don't know but arguably they've played Tom Sawyer at every gig since 1981 except the Snakes and Arrows tour. That's around 1500 times in 30years.

I've only played Mustang Sally a couple of hundred in 20years ;)

Edited by TimR