Why become a member? ×

Wiring straight to the jack

LiamPodmore

Evening all,

I'm just wondering if anyones ever wired a P bass pickup straight to the jack, and whether it sounded usable or not. I want to pull all the pots out of my bass as they're getting in the way now. I have seen some people mention that it might be sensible to add in a resistor and/or cap to make the signal similar to what it would be with the pots, so if anyone knows how i'd do that?

Thanks,

Liam

There's nothing wrong with doing this. Provided that you like to run the bass with the tone control all the way up then you won't need any resistors or capacitors in here, just wire and a socket.

The sound will be a little bit more 'toppy' but not by much.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1376606308' post='2176882']
Thankfully the electrics still work (One of KiOgon's lovely wiring looms), just the pots and knobs get in my way now i've decided to make it lefty due to boredom. Does anyone know the best way to wire it?

Liam
[/quote]
I've done it on a bass I was building where it had a real thin sound. So I wired the Bartolini P pups straight to the jack. It sounded good to me.

White wire to the jack-plug end terminal, black wire to the earth terminal.

I have done the same thing recently with my Yam RBX 374. Something went kaput with the active circut, so I just ripped everything out and wired it straight to the jack. I put the pots back in so the bass looks the same and it sounds better to me than before.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this with a bandmates' bass, because we had zero budget for new pots. It was a cheapy Encore, fitted with a decent alnico pickup of unknown origin. It sounded fine, but it was definitely at the grindy/clanky rockish end of P-bass tone - I liked it but it was hard to dial out the clank with the simple EQ on the old valve amp we had in the rehearsal room.

Edited by Beer of the Bass