Why become a member? ×

Power supply problem??

Hi Folks,

I was doing a pub gig last night and both me and the guitar player had technical problems through the gig. First, his amp and FX pedals played up all night and then, during our 2nd set, there was suddenly a noise like a 747 taking off coming through my rig!! At first, I thought it was the amp but I worked out through some quick trial & error, that it was something in my FX chain because when I plugged my bass in direct to the amp, it was fine.

So, this morning I checked out my 3 pedals; Boss TU2 Tuner, Trace Elliott Dual Compressor and Zoom B2, and curiously, they all worked fine?? Except when I plugged the power supply into the Boss T2 and as soon as I did that, back came the problem.

After talking it through today, we were wondering whether the power supply in the venue could have spiked during the gig causing a problem to both my equipment and our guitarists equipment? Anyone got any ideas and recommendations for ways to protect against this sort of thing?

Thanks....

Nik

P.S. problems aside, turned out to be a great gig - our singer even had a pair of knickers thrown at him during the 2nd set!!

Always use a surge protected power rail during your gigs - atleast if the power screws up your gear should be fine.

I can't see how a spike would have broken a PSU , as they just operate off an In:Out ratio - if anything, the gear itself would be banjaxed.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='22816' date='Jun 25 2007, 12:30 AM']Always use a surge protected power rail during your gigs - atleast if the power screws up your gear should be fine.

I can't see how a spike would have broken a PSU , as they just operate off an In:Out ratio - if anything, the gear itself would be banjaxed.[/quote]

Thanks Steve - will get one before the next gig!

[quote name='Steve_K' post='23335' date='Jun 26 2007, 01:21 AM']:| I have no recollection of reading your post or writing that reply![/quote]

Still made perfect sense though!! Is this a case of Basschat sleepwalking or too much alcohol?? :)