Why become a member? ×

August/September Mix Competition - Kit Richardson's You Look So Good Tonight

51m0n

Right chaps a massive thank you to Nigel for thinking of asking, and Kit for her generosity, this month we (well, you, I've done this one!) get to mix her song You Look So Good Tonight from the Submission Chords E.P

The stems are going to go up in two lots, the main stems are here:-

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i3lfo7fba2oneg6/87m9E6fooW"]https://www.dropbox....neg6/87m9E6fooW[/url]

The backing vocals are here:-

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y7rlfncmc2lw0ip/F-WJ8a5Kkw"]https://www.dropbox....w0ip/F-WJ8a5Kkw[/url]

All the file sare uploaded and waiting for you!

Rules are as follows:-

Submit a wav to me (PM a link) - do [b]NOT[/b] put a link in the thread, as your anonymity will be blown, and this is another anonymous vote. If you do you will be disqualified.

I will upload the wavs to a soundcloud account from where people can listen to them and vote

Your mix should not go over 0 on a K-meter set to [b]K12[/b] AT ANY POINT IN THE TRACK (K14 worries people because its so quiet, so we can try to get them a little louder). If it does, and I have no time to fix it, I may well not upload it - you have been warned.

Voting will start at the end of September - you will need to spend some time on this one chaps, to get the most out of it....

This is a mix competition, [b][i]not[/i][/b] a composition competition, this song has all the tracks it needs (and then some) and although there are some areas that will need really careful work to get the most of I dont think you even need to replace any drums IIRC, I certainly didn't. There are no marks for re-arrangement, none for redoing the strings, mix what you have, and make the best job of it you can!

Good luck!

P.S If you want a reference mix, then the link in my signature will take you straight to what the artist wanted her work to sound like, that's mixed and mastered and has liberal fairy dust sprinkled on it too.....

Edited by 51m0n

Si, I hope you don't mind me posting the copyright and credits so I don't get in trouble :) Also, the lyrics if they help.

Released 10 October 2011

Song and lyrics (c) Copyright Kit Richardson 2011

Written, arranged and produced by Kit Richardson except; drums by Oli Dacombe; guitar by Sam Simon-Norris (and very occasionally Kit); bass by Nigel Dale. Violins played by Emma Blanco and Jessie May-Smart. Recorded at The Music Complex Depford by Chris, and Unit 2 Studios by Adie. Mixed, mastered and magic'd about by Simon Naish.

[b]YOU LOOK SO GOOD TONIGHT[/b]

You look so good tonight
I forgot to breathe

You look so good tonight
Keep your hands at your sides
Did you leave something on
I can feel something burn

At six o'clock I thought
At six o'clock I thought of your face
I got my fingers caught
My fingers caught in my knicker lace

Something's not right tonight
Some consolation
Something's not right tonight
You're a man, you're
Not a child
Not destroying a star
You're destroying a constellation

You're weaker than I thought
You're weak and I'm starting to shake

I haven't got an eraser
In case we make a mistake

Tomorrow you'll wake
With head and heart ache
Lungs right out of air
Breathe in the breath
that I forget to take

In your big grey eyes
I can see the wires
You got bored of nice
Your striking matches don't set
me on fire

Higher, higher, higher ..

Lyrics and music (c) copyright Kit Richardson 2011

This is great! Thanks Si, and equally thanks to Nige and Kit for donating the stems - very cool :)

I'm going to struggle to do this one - work is crazy for me at the moment (mid-August to mid-September is a total wipeout), but I'll do my damndest to have a go at it. Be a real shame not to. Failing that I may revisit these stems at a later date with a cheeky remix or some such...

Anyway, I heartily recommend that anyone interested has a crack at this one. It's a fantastic track and a good opportunity to work with some proper material, so go for it!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376397875' post='2173296']
This is great! Thanks Si, and equally thanks to Nige and Kit for donating the stems - very cool :)

I'm going to struggle to do this one - work is crazy for me at the moment (mid-August to mid-September is a total wipeout), but I'll do my damndest to have a go at it. Be a real shame not to. Failing that I may revisit these stems at a later date with a cheeky remix or some such...

Anyway, I heartily recommend that anyone interested has a crack at this one. It's a fantastic track and a good opportunity to work with some proper material, so go for it!
[/quote]

I'm fascinated to hear the results of peoples' mixes, I'm sure Si, and Kit and the band are too :)

I hope you get time to give it a go mate. And thanks for the very nice compliments!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1376436681' post='2174098']
Second lot of stems are all Kit doing Bvs

Properly fab they are too!
[/quote]

...and duly acquired... (...[i]rubs hands in glee, chuckling[/i]...)
I may take slightly longer over this one, folks. :mellow:

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1376489086' post='2174756']
Si, just having a look at the stems in logic and I can't work out what going on with the OH's. Missing oh.1 seems fine was planning on splitting these into mono tracks, but YLSoh.1 seems to be missing a chunk around the 1:21 mark.

Cheers
Keith
[/quote]

MissingOH1 replaced YLSoh1 IIRC since it had that 'funny' that was never explained when it was sent to me...

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1376490500' post='2174781']
I'm in on this one.

Started on it last night already got it sounding how i want it. Now its just tinkering & cleaning up. Looking forward to getting the rest of the stems.

I don't have K-Meter but i do have Waves Dorrough so i guess i can use that? Just i only have 14 18 & 20 to play with.
[/quote]

Download Voxengo Span, its free and fully implements K-Metering

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1376573777' post='2176269']

Does it work with ProTools?
[/quote]

No idea
Can't hurt to have a look see....
If not do your mix in protools, then load the two track into reaper with a k-meter get to get the final level right

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1376577076' post='2176333']
No idea
Can't hurt to have a look see....
If not do your mix in protools, then load the two track into reaper with a k-meter get to get the final level right
[/quote]

Nah, I won't be putting Reaper on my system. I'm not a fan of the software and I don't fancy cluttering up my computer for no reason :). Doesn't look like they have a RTAS or AAX version so it won't work for me

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1376577344' post='2176342']
Nah, I won't be putting Reaper on my system. I'm not a fan of the software and I don't fancy cluttering up my computer for no reason :).
[/quote]

It can run off a USB stick so you can run it off one of those just to do the metering. No clutter at all then :)

I missed this! You lot started the party without me!? :o

I've been working on this. (got the stems from the other thread, but now just downloaded the backing vocals, in record time, might I add :D ). I have mine sounding pretty nice. A bit different from the version on the Bandcamp page. some of the instruments a bit more in your face, but it hasn't lost that kind of "dark" undertone that the song has. Now I've just got to fiddle with it until I can make it the best that my ability allows, which is almost certainly not enough to be the likes of Skol or Simon, or a whole bunch of you other guys :lol: Got to try and fit the BVs into it somehow now :rolleyes: I don't like it when there's too much going on in a song. Same with everything really :)