Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems for Bass

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news - rang them up today and was told that the order had gone in but no-one had contacted me for payment, and that someone would be in touch to get payment from me. So it looks like I'm back to paying for it. Not that anyone's got in touch yet. A month and a half to get absolutely nowhere. I don't think I'll be buying Line6 again and I'd advise anyone else to steer clear of them.

FFS man, this is inexcusable.

What I would do at this stage, is contact Line6 in the States - HQ and inform them of what a poor job that the UK is doing in representing their brand. Image is everything and this is doing nothing for it.

If they are trying to do build their rep as a credible pro alternative to Sennheiser and Shure in the UK, then this is not the way to do it. Line6 is slowly building up its market in this sector but they have a long way to catch the likes of Shure and especially Sennhesier...

For example, look at this -

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolution-wireless/sk-g3-100-300-500-tx

That is how you cater for spares in this market... and I can get this next day.

Weird problem with my Sony wireless system at the weekend.

Half way through the set on Saturday it cut out leaving me with no sound. Luckily I had a lead in place as a backup and was up and running before the end of the chorus. Looking at the transmitter today it had switched itself from channel 1 to channel 2. Considering how hard that is to do manually (I've just set it back to channel 1) I'm at a loss to discern how it happened.

Edited by BigRedX

Huh? Now that is weird. That is the very first report I have come across as something untoward happening on the Sony. Keep us informed of any other strange occurrences. As you say, it's nigh on impossible for a freak channel change...?

Will do. It's the first issue I've had since I started using the Sony two months ago and at every other gig it's been excellent. I've just watched the video of the gig in question and there's no one near me when the wireless cuts out, so I can't even blame Mr Venom's stage antics for this one.

The only thing I can think of is that the system occupies the same frequency range as WiFi and the PA for this gig was being run through a digital desk and controlled from a phone app, but I don't see how the TRANSMITTER should have been affected.

Not wrong there!!! Unpacking and setting up took 5 minutes. All evening I had a cheesy grin on my face. The sound was superb and so clear! I found myself keep kicking my right leg out though through habit of moving my lead away from my pedal board.

Best bit of kit I've bought in ages and believe you me it was a struggle to actually get me to give in and actually but one in the first place.

My only gripe is the appearance and quality of the supplied lead but that's an easy fix and already in hand with our lead guru from here...

5 or 6 months later, I'm still really happy with my G30. I definitely need to get myself one of those levy's wireless holder jobbies though, I've taken to taping the transmitter to my strap with electricians tape at every gig. The wireless holder is £20 on Amazon at the moment.

I did find out the source of my range troubles, and that was down to me being a dipstick and having my smartphone next to the receiver, which seemed to interfere with the signal. Range is now excellent.

Being wireless is glorious, even if only for the chance to carry on playing while jogging round the pub like a muppet to puzzled looks from punters.

Good stuff.

I've chopped and changed pouches a lot. Had an excellent pouch made for my Sony unit by Ethos custom brands (leather) in the States.

I specified everything on the case - slots for the LEDs, cables, everything. Perfect. They make some absolutely beautiful stuff. Absolutely fantastic.

My Shure unit currently sits in a Neotech pouch. Absolutely superb also - the reason I bought this is because it offers protection all around the unit, unlike the Levy's one. Just throwing it out there if you haven't already seen it as an option.

Your smartphone will mess with the range - especially if you have wifi/bluetooth turned on!

• 4 weeks later...

Shure QLX-D now announced - bridging the gap between the GLX-D and the ULX-D. Certainly one to watch for - it addresses the non rack annoyance of the GLX-D. Guessing it's going to come in at around 700/800+ ish if it's priced in the middle of the two units... but that's just me speculating.

• 4 weeks later...

First Sony DWZ failure!

Was playing in the house band at some televised awards ceremony last night and the DWZ was not happy. Tried all channels, on wide and narrow settings and whilst there was a signal getting through, it was choppy and certainly not of high enough standard to use. To put some context around it though, there was a hell of a lot of RF in use... 17 radio mics, 13 IEM transmitters and 7 wireless networks that I could detect (on my phone) - there may have been more hidden SSIDs out there. On top of this, there were wireless camera feeds and the likes which I would not even like to go into! (I suspect there may have been some wireless DMX going down also).

A complete RF nightmare!

Having said that, this is not your typical environment - and I still stand by the Sony being a fantastic product! Just maybe not in television studios with a ton of radio gear!!