Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems for Bass

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1391786763' post='2361306']
Just out of interest, why did you get the Stageclix? Not that there is anything wrong with it, just trying to understand why people choose what they choose. For example, for me, not having the ability to put new batteries in would be a big no for me.

If it all turns into a nightmare, sack it off and get a Sony DWZB30GB,
[/quote]

I liked the fact you could charge the belt pack in the main unit, and it seemed very light, compact, and simple to use. And it was all of those things, but I didn't like the sound! I almost bought the Sony - if I can get the seller to refund me, I will :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just placed an order with Thomann for the Sony DWZ as they have them back on sale for £185....that about £200 off!!!!

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/sony_dwz_b30gb_guitar_set.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/sony_dwz_b30gb_guitar_set.htm[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394181392' post='2388693']
Is it possible to buy the transmitters for the Sony separately?

And if so is it still cheaper to just buy another complete set from Thomann?
[/quote]

I couldnt see on their website any option for just the transmitter. However on E-bay they are going for £230 so it would be cheaper to get the full kit from Thomann.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1394152306' post='2388622']
I've just placed an order with Thomann for the Sony DWZ as they have them back on sale for £185....that about £200 off!!!!

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/sony_dwz_b30gb_guitar_set.htm"]https://www.thomann...._guitar_set.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Good spot! :P

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1389273210' post='2332169']
G30 Update - The crap little plastic bit which holds the metal clip onto the transmitter broke off, i now have to attach the transmitter to the strap using tape at the start of each gig. Less than ideal. These G30s are capable, but not really cut out for a hard life of gigging, I suppose that's the point of the G50 and G90 units.
[/quote]

My G50 transmitter got pulled off my strap at a recent gig and hit the floor, and the battery door broke into its component parts. I'm waiting for Line6 UK to come back to me on the availability of a replacement (I know you can get them but the only websites with them are in the US and don't ship internationally). Although the door is metal, the latch and slidey bit is plastic, and two tiny screws hold the inner bit to the outer bit and break the plastic bosses that they screw into.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1394492474' post='2392009']
My G50 transmitter got pulled off my strap at a recent gig and hit the floor, and the battery door broke into its component parts. I'm waiting for Line6 UK to come back to me on the availability of a replacement (I know you can get them but the only websites with them are in the US and don't ship internationally). Although the door is metal, the latch and slidey bit is plastic, and two tiny screws hold the inner bit to the outer bit and break the plastic bosses that they screw into.
[/quote]

moments like that I think "I really want a 3D printer"... :)

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1394152306' post='2388622']
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/sony_dwz_b30gb_guitar_set.htm"]https://www.thomann...._guitar_set.htm[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1394191513' post='2388908']
Good spot! :P
[/quote]

What he said. I've been as happy as a canine with an extra appendage with my Sony.

IMHO, brilliantly simple and so well engineered. Love the fact that it sits silently and efficiently doing it's thing on my pedal board. The transmitter is built like a tank too.

Song know if I posted here already.

But I've enjoyed using my sony wireless over th past year, however it's not getting the use ATM and trying to save off a holiday means it might go under the hammer.
But it's been a good investment so far, and very economic on batteries too.

Yeah. I've been chatting to the Custom IEM Company chap. The 1964 V6s look lush but I need to try them out. The sleeves on the SE535s are great but have been difficult to pull out easily. Really need an all in one unit and if I'm going to do that, I should really look at whether or not it's time for an "upgrade" to try and keep my position as band "IEM champion", especially with someone else now having a pair of SE535s. lol

As a footnote, I also now have the Sony system. Very happy with it - thanks to EBS freak for the general advice and guidance! I would also enter a note of caution regarding StageClix. I still don't know if it was a fault with the unit, or me being too critical, but it took 3 emails over almost 2 weeks to get any response from StageClix themselves, and that was only to say they had passed my query on to their 'technical team'. A few days later I got another email asking if I could send them a recording of the sound. By that time I had returned the whole kit to the seller, who refunded the full purchase price without quibbling.

Very poor manufacturer support, the result of which is I won't be buying their products again.

Enjoy the Sony, I am sure it will work perfectly for you without the slightest glitch. I've been very impressed with it... and I'm uber critical on the performance of my wireless systems. I run a ULX-D also - and to be honest, for what you want it for, they are neck and neck.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1394645586' post='2393694']
Enjoy the Sony, I am sure it will work perfectly for you without the slightest glitch. I've been very impressed with it... and I'm uber critical on the performance of my wireless systems. I run a ULX-D also - and to be honest, for what you want it for, they are neck and neck.
[/quote]

Good to know, seeing as there's quite a price difference! I really liked your band's showreel, by the way - sounds and looks great :)

Don't get me wrong, the Shure is fantastic and has loads of features... most of which the average user won't use. It's integration with wireless workbench is fantastic and of course on the larger unit, the Dante feature is ridiculously good. When it gets down to it though, for a simple transmission of audio, the quality is indistinguishable. The only real world experience of where the Shure whooped the Sony was when I was Battersea Evolution. The Shure unit got over 100m from the stage and was still going whilst the Sony managed maybe 40 or 50 at a push. As you can see, err... really useful for those times you have to get that far away from the stage (eg never!)

Thanks for the comments on the showreel, glad you like it. It was a blast to make. Currently editing the next video, which is a monster but nothing like the scale of the campervan video!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1394492474' post='2392009']
[/quote]

Eventually managed to get a response from Line6 after I rang them again - my emails to them had gone into a spam folder. They finally took the order over the phone, then were going to get Kay from accounts to get my details for payment. I chased them up again the next week and they said they'd send it out to me FOC due to all the delays. That was a week ago and it has yet to surface.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1395961076' post='2408540']
Eventually managed to get a response from Line6 after I rang them again - my emails to them had gone into a spam folder. They finally took the order over the phone, then were going to get Kay from accounts to get my details for payment. I chased them up again the next week and they said they'd send it out to me FOC due to all the delays. That was a week ago and it has yet to surface.
[/quote]

Boo. Not much better customer service than StageClix then.