Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems for Bass

I had a G30 system and sold it only because I wanted a rackmount version. Ended up with a Line 6 XD-V75 (see pic) - very nice bit of kit, no issues with interference, sound, quality etc whatsoever at gigs and rehearsals. it has the same transmitter as the G50/G90 i.e. all metal - as has been heavily documented, the battery door on the G30 transmitter is a little flimsy in comparison to the all metal version - i solved any [i]potential[/i] issues by wrapping a velcro cable tidy around the body underneath the strap clip which held it all together nicely and gave easy access for battery changes.

one of the main reasons i went with the XD-V75 over the G90 is that it has a USB port on it for software upgrades (it comes with the V2.0 software on it)

i haven't tried any of the others mentioned but if I were to go back to a pedalboard mounted wireless then i would consider the Sony or another G30

Edited by intime-nick

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380102933' post='2220722']
We've had the DWZ complain about RF intereference - yet it didn't actually have any impact on the performance. I know that some guys have stated that there can be issues in conference centres and hotel rooms with wireless networks... but I have to say, I've played a lot, a lot, a lot of these venues and I've never experienced any drops outs. (Mind you, we could be playing havoc with their network :P !)

[/quote]

It's exactly this...... this is why a lot of the AV companies haven't gone digital yet and are still using UHF (Though the New Sony DWZ range is changing that) it's not so much interference with your system, the line 6 unit was prone to knocking out wi-fi and other networks in hotels/venues if used within a certain range. If you're just playing down the pub it won't matter so much

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1382087893' post='2247645']
It's exactly this...... this is why a lot of the AV companies haven't gone digital yet and are still using UHF (Though the New Sony DWZ range is changing that) it's not so much interference with your system, the line 6 unit was prone to knocking out wi-fi and other networks in hotels/venues if used within a certain range. If you're just playing down the pub it won't matter so much
[/quote]

I'm quite surprised to hear this. I would have though AV companies would be running digital systems over channel 38. That's what I'm doing with the ULX-D. Mind you, that's some seriously pricey system and locked to ch38 so not so good for worldwide usage. I'd be taking the DWZ in those cases that I work abroad.

The DWZ is astonishingly good - given their history in wireless transmission, I don't understand why anybody would go for anything else in that price bracket. Given the fact that their 1/2 rackmount and corresponding pack can do encryption also its a bit of a no brainer. Battery life is good too. In fact, the whole range is great - even the mic with the interchangable heads.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382091493' post='2247720']
I'm quite surprised to hear this. I would have though AV companies would be running digital systems over channel 38. That's what I'm doing with the ULX-D. Mind you, that's some seriously pricey system and locked to ch38 so not so good for worldwide usage. I'd be taking the DWZ in those cases that I work abroad.

The DWZ is astonishingly good - given their history in wireless transmission, I don't understand why anybody would go for anything else in that price bracket. Given the fact that their 1/2 rackmount and corresponding pack can do encryption also its a bit of a no brainer. Battery life is good too. In fact, the whole range is great - even the mic with the interchangable heads.
[/quote]

Hotels and function houses get a bit funny when their systems start dropping out....... I visit around 10-15 AV rental and toursound companies a week and I'd say 90% are running UHF....

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1382093412' post='2247762']
Hotels and function houses get a bit funny when their systems start dropping out....... I visit around 10-15 AV rental and toursound companies a week and I'd say 90% are running UHF....
[/quote]

Oh no, I don't dispute that, I know UHF is common place. I'm surprised if rental companies are running digital over the 2.4Ghz band. I guess it depends which channels in the digital band that the band wireless systems are running on to how much disturbance they cause to wifi. Running channel 38 uhf or digital would make all these problems vanish surely?

Of course, for most applications, UHF systems with a compounder are fine... it's just that being able to run a bass through a digital signal with no compounder is just so much better :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old Samson True Diversity Concert series wireless system that I used to use for guitar in the 90's but haven't used it since then. It's an analogue system and I just wondered if anyone knew the law regarding their use.

Are they now illegal to use?

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1383296072' post='2262624']
I have an old Samson True Diversity Concert series wireless system that I used to use for guitar in the 90's but haven't used it since then. It's an analogue system and I just wondered if anyone knew the law regarding their use.

Are they now illegal to use?

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

Jeez, that is quite an old system, VHF too. Does it say a channel or frequency range on it? Hard to comment on it's use otherwise!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1383496770' post='2265042']
the line 6 g30 looks good, anyone got one?
[/quote]

Yep, I got one recently, and have done three gigs with it this weekend. The sound quality is excellent, no loss of bass or top or tone. Two AA duracell batteries lasted two and 3/4 gigs (changed them during second set last night to be on the safe side when the battery indicator on the receiver went down to 1 bar).

I'm a little disappointed by the range to be honest. Had visions of buggering off to the other end of the pub, but it managed about 30 feet on Friday, and 50 or 60 feet last night before cutting out. Mine might be a bit of a duff unit though, as the guitarist has a g30 and never has any trouble.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1383499587' post='2265103'] Yep, I got one recently, and have done three gigs with it this weekend. The sound quality is excellent, no loss of bass or top or tone. Two AA duracell batteries lasted two and 3/4 gigs (changed them during second set last night to be on the safe side when the battery indicator on the receiver went down to 1 bar). I'm a little disappointed by the range to be honest. Had visions of buggering off to the other end of the pub, but it managed about 30 feet on Friday, and 50 or 60 feet last night before cutting out. Mine might be a bit of a duff unit though, as the guitarist has a g30 and never has any trouble. [/quote]

That's unusual, both myself and a guitarist in one of the bands I play in use the G30. He regularly takes trips pretty far from the stage... Even playing outside the pub on the street.
Do you have the receiver tucked in somewhere well hidden, maybe?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1383517918' post='2265479']
That's unusual, both myself and a guitarist in one of the bands I play in use the G30. He regularly takes trips pretty far from the stage... Even playing outside the pub on the street.
Do you have the receiver tucked in somewhere well hidden, maybe?
[/quote]

I have the receiver on the floor, next to my amp and next to my TC PolyTune. I did have a big fan next to it on Friday, which may have made the difference there, but that fan was other side of the stage on Saturday night.

I also tried moving the receiver to the top of the amp but it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference. Maybe I need to get a bit scientific in the back garden, test the actual line of sight distance that I get and then call Line 6 support with my findings.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1383554078' post='2265653']
I have the receiver on the floor, next to my amp and next to my TC PolyTune. I did have a big fan next to it on Friday, which may have made the difference there, but that fan was other side of the stage on Saturday night.

I also tried moving the receiver to the top of the amp but it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference. Maybe I need to get a bit scientific in the back garden, test the actual line of sight distance that I get and then call Line 6 support with my findings.
[/quote]

Hmmm, that does not seem very different from what I do.
It's either on a pedalboard infront of me, or beside the amp on the floor, protected by whatever seems convenient (pub gigs: under a chair, typically). Or I put a guitar stand over it so that nobody steps on it. Sometimes even behind the amp.

At home I tried it set in one room and I just walked about the house. I could still play on the other side of the house, several rooms and doorways away, so no line of sight whatsoever.

You're a little far from me to offer to test both side by side, but maybe someone else can help you. At least try what you suggested, in teh garden, and see how far you can go. You should be able to get more than 30 feet in any situation, I would imagine. I have not personally ventured terribly far while playing, only testing it. But my guitarist is a bit of a show off :P and constantly tests its range. Once we played at a beer garden, and he went outside on teh street, a good 25m or so away (the G30 is supposed to reach 30m) then went into the bar through another door, and climbed on a side external staircase to play a solo on the roof ( :rolleyes: :lol: ). In another place he just ran around the pub (single isolated building) again without losing signal... I think the 30m they specify is a conservative estimate, so for you to struggle with 10-20m, I think there may be something wrong (batteries all charged up?), so if you can test it and report how far you get in your garden and it's significantly less than 30m, you may be able to exchange your unit...

I have a G30, had it a couple of years and love it. My minor complaint with the battery compartment door is not its flimsiness, but the fact that it's a sod to close when the batteries are in. The little latch never wants to slot into place without a lot of pressure on the door-it's not the end of the World, just a niggle. Can't say I've ever been miles from the unit, so can't comment on range issues-try a different channel?

Been using my Line 6 G50 for over three years. No issues whatsoever, receiver sits on top of my amp, transmitter has been dropped a couple of times and although beginning to look a little 'battle scarred' it still functions perfectly. I have wandered far from the stage on a few occasions (outside bike rally gigs) and have yet to reach the limit of transmission. The cabe length simulator (I thought this was a gimmick) actually works and makes a difference. Only gripe is a minor one, some 'cheap' petrol station AA's don't fit in the transmitter. Other than that its a solid and reliable bit of kit that I use at every gig irrespective of the size of the stage, in fact its almost more useful on small stages as your not permanently standing on your lead. Buy with confidence - these things rock!