Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems for Bass

I have a line 6 g50, and apart from only having it 2 years, my experience is exactly what JPJ said above!! I did notice a slight delay when about 25 yds from the stage, but that could have been the sound from the amp to me rather than the bass guitar signal to the receiver, but no problem on most normal stages.

• 4 weeks later...

Update from my G30 - I think that my TC Polytune may have been interfering with the signal to the receiver. I was having problems when the receiver and the Polytune where within inches of each other, but having them a couple of meters away from each other is much better, perfect signal to all corners of any pub.

I'm very happy with my G30 and have been to the back (bar) of a 30m-ish marquee with it, gets pretty impossible to play anywhere too far from stage without in ears as the sound delay is huuuge. I use a Thomann wireless holder on my strap now as I dropped my transmitter lots of times, lost the clip and eventually smashed the battery clip and now have to wrap it in gaffer to hold it shut. Does the job though. The pedal board receiver is also great for my setup.

[quote name='timo' timestamp='1386334331' post='2298885']
I'm very happy with my G30 and have been to the back (bar) of a 30m-ish marquee with it, gets pretty impossible to play anywhere too far from stage without in ears as the sound delay is huuuge.
[/quote]

Yes, playing far from teh source can be challenging... but that delay is purely due to the speed of sound in air. It becomes very noticeable after 20m or so (whether using wireless or cable)...

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1386339868' post='2299001']
Anyone used the new Alesis yet? Dirt cheap (not normally a good sign) but it's in the 2.6Ghz range - so wondered if it might be decent.

I keep falling over my cables but not enough (yet) to warrant 200-400 quid dropped on a Line 6/Stage Clix etc.
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind checking out that Alesis. Even if hasn't got crazy range, it's great just to get rid of a cable. Cack that it looks to have a harwired cable though... in the wrong place too. Alesis naughty in hiding that fact with a big "new" circle posted over it too. Proper penny pinching in action :(

Edited by EBS_freak

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386343030' post='2299054']

I wouldn't mind checking out that Alesis. Even if hasn't got crazy range, it's great just to get rid of a cable. Cack that it looks to have a harwired cable though... in the wrong place too. Alesis naughty in hiding that fact with a big "new" circle posted over it too. Proper penny pinching in action :(
[/quote]

Its not bad - but the hardwired cable is a little annoying.

EBS_Freak used his Jedi mind tricks yesterday and there's a Sony DWZ-B30GB currently winging it's way over the channel from Thomann. Bargain deal, £180 quid.

This will replace my racked up tried and trusted Sennheiser EW172 which has been a faithful and reliable servant over the years. It'll be sad to see it go but it'll be nice to have something small and compact on my pedal board rather than in the rack (which will now be retired).

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1388767239' post='2325853']
EBS_Freak used his Jedi mind tricks yesterday and there's a Sony DWZ-B30GB currently winging it's way over the channel from Thomann. Bargain deal, £180 quid.
[/quote]

Shhh.... don't tell everybody about them!

Actually, go get them. They p1ss on everything on the 2.4Ghz range at that price point, especially at £180.

Sorry Tony... I know one day you are going to stop talking to me. I'm costing you too much money. Got those strings yet?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1388767850' post='2325866']
Sorry Tony... I know one day you are going to stop talking to me. Got those strings yet?
[/quote]

<BLANK FAR AWAY LOOK>

Yes. Strings. I ...must .....buy .... strings.

:blink:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1388768733' post='2325891']
Ooh... guitar straps.... :P
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]<VACANT GAZE>[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I ...need.....new.....strap. [/font][/color]

:blink:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1388768880' post='2325893']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]<VACANT GAZE>[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I ...need.....new.....strap. [/font][/color]

:blink:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[/quote]I

I best stop now... I could cost you a lot of money on the strap front...

G30 Update - The crap little plastic bit which holds the metal clip onto the transmitter broke off, i now have to attach the transmitter to the strap using tape at the start of each gig. Less than ideal. These G30s are capable, but not really cut out for a hard life of gigging, I suppose that's the point of the G50 and G90 units.

Also, I have encountered the battery-door-popping-open-during-the-set problem a couple of times...!!!

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1389273210' post='2332169']
G30 Update - The crap little plastic bit which holds the metal clip onto the transmitter broke off, i now have to attach the transmitter to the strap using tape at the start of each gig. Less than ideal. These G30s are capable, but not really cut out for a hard life of gigging, I suppose that's the point of the G50 and G90 units.

Also, I have encountered the battery-door-popping-open-during-the-set problem a couple of times...!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, those clips look very flimsy. I never used them myself because I did not trust them I use a Levy wireless holder instead. The holder is attached to the strap, and the transmitter is held tight inside. They were about £10-15, if I recall correctly.

With regards to the door popping open... I never had that problem, but I did notice that it's easy to leave the latch undone when you think it's done, and then it could open. I have to slide it all the way in. You need to apply some strength on it, then it clicks. If you simply slide it until it stops, it's not really closed and it can pop open then. Another think I heard is that using batteries that are *slightly* smaller than Duracells result on the batteries not pushing hard enough against the lid, which is then more prone to opening. Again, I have only used Duracells on my transmitter, for 3 and a half years now, and I have had no issues whatsoever.

Worth having a look, just in case this sorts it for you too.

I had a G30 before moving to an Line 6 XD-V75 with the metal transmitter from the G50/90. I found the simplest and best way to hold the battery door shut and secure was to wrap a velcro cable tie around the transmitter body (under the strap clip) and tightening it to just put enough pressure on the catch to stop it moving. I never had a failure and I was using Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh rechargeable batteries (which are slightly bigger than the standard AA's).

It's worth trying even if your G30 battery door is OK and you've never had an issue.

Edited by intime-nick

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience of the AKG DMS70 digital system as it says that it has no signal compression, any is fully encrypted resulting in no interference !?
If so can you tell me if it suffers from latency ???
I'm considering this or the sony for regular gigging and am erring towards this as it is rack mountable and expandable. Thanks!

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1389416099' post='2334013']
Encryption has no effect on interference, so ignore that.
[/quote]

The presence of an encryption key within the datastream transmission actually helps with RF hence reducing the chance of interference. There is a slight trade off in terms of latency, for example pro systems it adds an almost negligible 0.2ms but with other systems, maybe the AKG, it may be bigger.

I have heard bad reports with the AKG with regards to drop outs... but I can't verify this for you. If you look on the net, there are very mixed reports regarding this systems performance. Also noting, not that it's really something that will have any impact on the majority, but the AKGs encryption is as 128 instead of the standard 256.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='jumper' timestamp='1389391583' post='2333903']
Hi all,

Has anyone had experience of the AKG DMS70 digital system as it says that it has no signal compression, any is fully encrypted resulting in no interference !?
If so can you tell me if it suffers from latency ???
I'm considering this or the sony for regular gigging and am erring towards this as it is rack mountable and expandable. Thanks!
[/quote]

[url="http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/18793.page"]http://forums.preson...list/18793.page[/url]

PS - Go Sony. Check out the price of Sony on Thomann..... and thank me later.

Edited by EBS_freak

Just to add, I took advantage of the great price for the Sony Wireless setup from Thomann and didn't realize that the 12v power adapter as supplied is a European 2 pin plug. Doh!

Drama averted though as a 9v pedal power supply I have works fine.

Great bit of kit though, I've not used it in anger yet but it seems really well put together and 'just works'.

Pete