Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems for Bass

Hi
does anyone have experience with wireless systems in terms of good ones, bad ones, etc or any problems during performances?
I am looking to buy one
I wouldn't tend to wander too far away from the rig as most venues are not large
My rig is a Trace E 500w top, fender 500w 4x10 cab, and a G&L bass
Just need some advice please
Tom

Assuming you don't want to drop crazy amounts of cash... or go into licensed frequencies...

First up, go digital - simple reason being, no compounder hence full range signal response.

Options are -

Sony DWZ series - typically, DWZB30GB
Stageclix
Line6

or wait for the Shure GLX guitar to hit the UK (pretty much now)

All have their plus and negatives though... but all will do the actual job of transmission wirelessly perfectly.

EDIT - when I mean plus and negatives, things to consider are as follows -
[list]
[*]Rackmountable/vs non rack mountable vs pedal type receiver. (May be plus or a negative... depending upon your needs and use of pedals)
[*]Readily available AA batteries vs internal rechargable battery vs single purpose battery designed especially for the system in question.
[*]Build quality - cheap and plastic vs metal construction.
[*]Connectivity options - DI out and tuner out, USB upgrades etc.
[*]Encryption - The Sony DWZ series offers that as an option (but not the DWZB30GB).
[*]Multiple channel reception - The Shure for example will switch between channels in an attempt to prevent dropout (not that any of the above are prone to drop out)
[/list]
PS - out of that list, my fave is the Sony (for it's construction and use of AA) followed by the Shure (for it constuction but it's lack of AAs is a bit of a downfall - having said that, a small recharge time yields a long play time)... but all will do the job.

If you really want the DBs, looks at the Shure ULX-D on Channel 38. It's incredible (but be prepared to drop way over a grand for the unit and the license). I can vouch for it being an unbelievable system as it's now part of my rig... but whether it's any better in normal situations, well that's debatable. In terms of connectivity options, range, encryption, build... absolutely... but then again, it's 6 times the price of a G30 and requires a license.

Edited by EBS_freak

Been using a Line 6 G30 for a year now. Receiver is pedal sized, 9v input. Sits as the first link on my pedalboard chain. People have criticised the battery compartment door on the transmitter for being flimsy, but I think they just must be clumsy. Not had any issues with it.

Runs 2xAA cells. I use decent rechargeables and get an easy 4-5 hours before the battery indicator drops a bar. Probably 6-8 hours total use before it goes into the red. Input socket is standard 1/4" jack, so you can use any patch lead/plug you like.

Probably not touring robustness, but for a gig or rehearsal a week, it's doing the job for me

i've just bought a line 6 G30, not had a chance to try it out as i only took possetion last night but so far i'm impressed with the simplicity and the design, having the reciever on my pedalboard is a big plus point for me.

i'm going to give it a try at my band practice tonight.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1376385657' post='2173011']
i've just bought a line 6 G30, not had a chance to try it out as i only took possetion last night but so far i'm impressed with the simplicity and the design, having the reciever on my pedalboard is a big plus point for me.

i'm going to give it a try at my band practice tonight.

Matt
[/quote]

I got one a few weeks ago to replace my 5 year old AKG system.
Although ive never had any issues with the AKG, the G30 is a lot nicer to use. I love the fact that i can see the battery indicator on the receiver, the longer battery life, the fact that i dont have to set anything up (like antennas) and the fact that seems to have a much longer reach.
It wasnt cheap, but i think it will last me for a good few years.

I've ad the stageclix and found it just isn't a truely clean signal, mine had issues anyway and ended up sending it back.

I have the Sony dwz and not only is it cheaper in a direct conparision it turned out to be a help of a lot cleaner than the stageclix, plus I found the actual buttons(conpared to the lack of on the stageclix) to be a lot easier to use and setup. Battery indicator on both transmitter and receiver are very good, and show that it needs changing and when it really needs changing.

I have been using a stageclix for about six months and I am very pleased with it. I have used this to replace a samson which tended to be a bit noisy.
The Stageclix signal is clear, theres no hum and I love the fact you dont have to change the battery because its rechargable with a built in charger; I also like the fact its a bug type transmitter..

The drawbacks are its a but sensitive with active basses. My precision fitted with a raven lavs preamp does hum if you have the input gain on the amp and or volume on the bass, but it is useable.

There is a fix where you can buy a holster for your strap and an extension cable although it is in my view bloomin expensive for what it is.

I would also say the connectors on the back of the unit are not very ergonomically laid out.

I'm a bit OCD about having cables around me so wireless was the only choice. I've been using the Line6 G30 for just over a year and its been faultless.

I have mine zip tied to my strap as I couldn't find a holster I liked. The only minor issue I had was that when I bought it it would occasionally cut out for a split second and I discovered that it didn't like sitting on top of my amp - maybe the transformer or something in the amp interfering with the recevier at such close proximity but I have it on a pedal board on the floor now and have never had it happen since.

I've gone between wireless and cable and never noticed a difference in sound quality

• 1 month later...

I've used wireless systems on and off for 20 years. Got a Line 6 G50 recently and I now use that exclusively rather than leads. The only minor point is that when clipped onto a strap, it can slip off - however, a rubber band wrapped round the receiver body and over the bottom of the clip (which conveniently turns up at that point) holds everything in place.

Just adding to the list -

Audio-Technica System 10

Sax player has just bought one for his DPA mic. Looks to be good at the moment - and a great price being digital for circa 200 pounds. Probably worth investigating... I've not spend any time with it, so can't comment much further... but it seems to undercut most of the competition and is probably a direct competitor to the Line G6 G30... but without the battery door issue/non issue associated with the G30.

I've not done many gigs with my recently purchaed G30 system, but in the few I have it's worked really well, and seems to have brought out some of the highs I've never head with my old system.
One strange things though, at one gig it cut out for about a second. This seemed to coincide with my iPhone receiving a text. The phone was very close to the receiver. Might be a coincidence but I'm not taking any chances and I'll keep the two well away from each other.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1380102339' post='2220711']
I've not done many gigs with my recently purchaed G30 system, but in the few I have it's worked really well, and seems to have brought out some of the highs I've never head with my old system.
One strange things though, at one gig it cut out for about a second. This seemed to coincide with my iPhone receiving a text. The phone was very close to the receiver. Might be a coincidence but I'm not taking any chances and I'll keep the two well away from each other.
[/quote]

Bringing out the highs is really noticable when you switch. Some guitarists hate that though - they rely on the capicitance of the cable to get "their" tone... hence the cable tone feature built into some of these devices (nothing amazing - they are just treble roll off like you'd get on a passive bass).

2.4Ghz can be a little prone to interference - basically from wifi and phones. It kinda surprises me with a text - but when you think about it, it's understandable as I'm sure heard with heard phone interference when placed next to electronics. We've had the DWZ complain about RF intereference - yet it didn't actually have any impact on the performance. I know that some guys have stated that there can be issues in conference centres and hotel rooms with wireless networks... but I have to say, I've played a lot, a lot, a lot of these venues and I've never experienced any drops outs. (Mind you, we could be playing havoc with their network :P !)

I've had Shure's wireless workbench out a few times - it's interesting to see how dirty the airwaves can be.

Edited by EBS_freak

Ive been using a old AKG system for years and never had any drop outs, although i have had the battery drop out a few times lol.
i did think it could be to do with wifi, as i had read there can be issues, but the venue i was in had no wifi connections available, not even from other buildings, so i think it was the phone causing this.

Andy, the G30 is really nice, and so easy to use.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1380105765' post='2220778']
Ive been using a old AKG system for years and never had any drop outs, although i have had the battery drop out a few times lol.
i did think it could be to do with wifi, as i had read there can be issues, but the venue i was in had no wifi connections available, not even from other buildings, so i think it was the phone causing this.

Andy, the G30 is really nice, and so easy to use.
[/quote]

Presumably the AKG was analogue running on the old deregulated band though? Not prone to drop out, more prone to static!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380106416' post='2220794']
Presumably the AKG was analogue running on the old deregulated band though? Not prone to drop out, more prone to static!
[/quote]

Yes, it was analogue. Ive never suffered from any issue's with it other than the battery door popping off a few times.

• 3 weeks later...

My band is now almost entirely wireless, and if we could just work out a way to get the drums to operate wirelessly ...

Can't say that I've ever heard extraneous sounds intruding in the way you describe, not just during a set (where they might happen, but be drowned out) but also during the intervals between sets when it would be pretty bloody obvious.

Between us, we're using three different wireless systems from two different manufacturers, and presumably all on different frequencies.

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1381909109' post='2245141']
Someone's already mentioned it but what are they like when people's phones go off in the audience, hearing aids, sound limiters etc? I'm seriously looking to go the wireless route...
[/quote]

I've only had the one bad experience, and the phone was literally less than 2ft from the receiver. Ive now done a good handful of gigs without any issues, and i keep my phone in my jacket pocket when playing. A few gigs have been in small hotels where there has been a very good wifi signal at the stage area, yet ive had no issues (cant say if the phone owners had any though).

I went with the G30 and am delighted with it. I use a ComfortStrapp and the sender unit sits very snugly in one of the elasticated sections sewn to the neoprene pad. I made up a dedicated length patch lead and zip-tied it to the Strapp fittings to keep it all neat and tidy. The advantage of tucking it into the elastic is that there is no way that the battery compartment lid can work its way open, and the jack into the sender unit is pretty much fixed into position too so it can't move around and wear the components, which I have heard on the grape vine are the two main faults with the G30. I could post pics if anyone is interested.