Why become a member? ×

Been listening to a lot of genesis at the moment

marcus bell

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375884459' post='2166910']
Now, back on topic: of the 3x3 EP, although Me & Virgil is good, I always loved You Might Recall. I don't know what it is, but something about the jangly sound and wierd-sounding chords just grabbed me.
[/quote]

Yep, this is one my little-known pleasures mentioned earlier. The drums have a lovely laid-back feel like Follow You Follow Me, great job by Rutherford on the jangles, good bassline too.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1375883935' post='2166897']
Undertow from and then there were three is also a powerful old tune
[/quote]

I saw the Italian band 'The Watch' a year or two back. They exist as an originals band (admittedly always sounding like early genesis) and also do genesis tribute shows. The last time I saw them they did mostly Gabriel era stuff but occasionally did Collins era material but sung as if Gabriel never left, one of which was Undertow. Put an additional interesting slant on it.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1375885740' post='2166942']
My first intro to genesis was Invisible Touch on top of the pops.
it was not a good intro. ...
[/quote]
Frankly, after an introduction like that, I'd understand if you never ever wanted to go near the band again! IT has to be one of the most awful pieces in the entire Genesis repertoire.

Except .... I've had this idea buzzing round my head for a year or two, which I can't execute but maybe some talented member here can. I'm hearing the song IT as a slow lamentful blues. I picture an old, stubbled guy sat at the end of the bar very late one night, looking back over the crap this woman has been putting him through. A slow plodding beat accompanies a guitar that the player can only just summon up the energy to strum. "Well, I've been waiting ... waiting here so long ... but now I know ... " Some of the lyrics really lend themselves to that sort of reflective, world-weary, melancholic feel, but the melody needs to be re-worked, and I just can't nail it myself, especially the chorus. But if anybody else wants to take on the challenge of turning IT into a good song, I'd love to hear your attempts! :)

Hmm, it looks like they had trouble nailing the vocal line too. ;-)
Seriously tho, it took me a long time to work out what song that was, even though I was expecting it to be IT based on your comment. Ok, that makes IT into a listenable song, but I'm sure it could be better! :-)

Ok so I've been listening to genesis, I like it. I don't love it and I'm not sure I ever will. I can't get a hook on it. There seems to be no point of entry for me. I'm not gonna go all Patrick Bateman and write an obsessive breakdown of my likes and dislikes. Ill give it a few more days and see how I get on.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1375933540' post='2167590']
....I'm not gonna go all Patrick Bateman and write an obsessive breakdown of my likes and dislikes...
[/quote]
Oh, do please - I'm sure it'd be very interesting to read.

I have a smile on my face as I write this, but I am actually deadly serious. I think an honest discussion of the good and bad points of music can be very enlightening, so long as it's conducted in an amicable fashion. Of course, it's all subjective, but I've got into some music that I had thought I didn't like, because of listening to someone else explain what they liked about it. And I think I've clarified my own appreciation of stuff I do like, by listening to someone else explain why they don't like it.

But hey, if you don't like it, you probably have better things to do than write an in-depth analysis of [i]why[/i] you don't like it. :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375961119' post='2167883']
Oh, do please - I'm sure it'd be very interesting to read.

I have a smile on my face as I write this, but I am actually deadly serious. I think an honest discussion of the good and bad points of music can be very enlightening, so long as it's conducted in an amicable fashion. Of course, it's all subjective, but I've got into some music that I had thought I didn't like, because of listening to someone else explain what they liked about it. And I think I've clarified my own appreciation of stuff I do like, by listening to someone else explain why they don't like it.

But hey, if you don't like it, you probably have better things to do than write an in-depth analysis of [i]why[/i] you don't like it. :)
[/quote]

Absolutely love Genesis mainly the Gabriel era plus Trick of the Tale and Wind and Wuthering, but the Collins era did produce some good stuff too.

I once played in a band where the guitarist went to Charterhouse school and was in the same year as Banks and Rutherford.

[/quote]
I don't dislike it. What I found is that I actually knew more genesis material than I thought I did. I found myself saying "oh.....was that them?" And such like. I've also been cramming it into my head in an attempt to fully appreciate their body of work at all its stages. Now that I'm more familiar with it and I can give certain songs a face etc now all I need is a hook. What I mean by this is....... I need to identify a song with a moment or a good movie or something that moved me at some time. Once that happens ill be in and once I'm in that will be it. I will eat sleep and drink that sh*t.
It happened with dire straits, I loved them in the 80s,but who didn't. I had some albums and pretty soon I was sick of them and I stopped listening to them. I'm into knopfler but that's different. Anyway roll forward 15 or so years, I was at a singalong in a pub in Ireland and this girl sings Romeo and Juliet with her brother accompanying her on the guitar. It was sublime, I was hooked. The very next day as if by magic I'm driving in my car and this band are on the radio singing Romeo and Juliet and I think wow that's amazing, it was the killers and they had done an excellent version. That was it I was consuming dire straits like a fat kid in a cake shop. It lasted a year or so. I still have big love for dire straits today. Even though I know it's not cool and a lot of the music is crap. I still love it.

It's weird. It's happened to me with lots of bands I never expected me to like. Aerosmith, Metallica, Tom waits, van Morrison, the beach boys, Burt fookin Bacharach the list is endless. Anyway, genesis are now smouldering in my subconscious waiting to pounce, thank you Marcus Bell.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1375964668' post='2167962']
I don't dislike it. What I found is that I actually knew more genesis material than I thought I did. I found myself saying "oh.....was that them?" And such like. I've also been cramming it into my head in an attempt to fully appreciate their body of work at all its stages. Now that I'm more familiar with it and I can give certain songs a face etc now all I need is a hook. What I mean by this is....... I need to identify a song with a moment or a good movie or something that moved me at some time. Once that happens ill be in and once I'm in that will be it. I will eat sleep and drink that sh*t.
It happened with dire straits, I loved them in the 80s,but who didn't. I had some albums and pretty soon I was sick of them and I stopped listening to them. I'm into knopfler but that's different. Anyway roll forward 15 or so years, I was at a singalong in a pub in Ireland and this girl sings Romeo and Juliet with her brother accompanying her on the guitar. It was sublime, I was hooked. The very next day as if by magic I'm driving in my car and this band are on the radio singing Romeo and Juliet and I think wow that's amazing, it was the killers and they had done an excellent version. That was it I was consuming dire straits like a fat kid in a cake shop. It lasted a year or so. I still have big love for dire straits today. Even though I know it's not cool and a lot of the music is crap. I still love it.

It's weird. It's happened to me with lots of bands I never expected me to like. Aerosmith, Metallica, Tom waits, van Morrison, the beach boys, Burt fookin Bacharach the list is endless. Anyway, genesis are now smouldering in my subconscious waiting to pounce, thank you Marcus Bell.
[/quote]
glad i tuned you into them mate, there are some great pieces out there waiting to be discovered :)

Interesting! That's quite a different approach to music, to mine. But very interesting to read. Sounds like you need to catch Frank Dunnery in concert, or something like that, so you get to match the song to the moment to get hooked as you say.

Anyway, thanks for a fascinating post!

They were a brilliant band through all their era's! The Knife off of Genesis Live is sublime, as is Supper's Ready off of Seconds Out.
There's still hints of genius on the later albums that many fans find cringe worthy.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375966007' post='2167986']
Interesting! That's quite a different approach to music, to mine. But very interesting to read. Sounds like you need to catch Frank Dunnery in concert, or something like that, so you get to match the song to the moment to get hooked as you say.

Anyway, thanks for a fascinating post!
[/quote]
This isn't how I get into all bands or music. Normally it's more conventional, I hear, I like etc..... However my earlier post is a trend I have noticed in the past.

Most bands/artists that have longevity have to evolve or adapt every few years. Genisis are no exception.

Bands like Marillion have (IMO) got themselves stuck in a rut. They still sell albums but by crowd funding them before they record them. They have to be careful, what happens if they bring something out so diverse that the fans, who have already paid for it, don't like it?

Music is fickle. I don't think they could have continued to trot out the 70s stuff throughout the 80s and 90s. Once Phil Collins recorded solo, his new fans were bound to follow him back to Genisis and it would have been wrong financially not to take advantage of that by shifting musically.

Gabriel continues to be weird, if that's your bag.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1375993077' post='2168454']
Most bands/artists that have longevity have to evolve or adapt every few years. Genisis are no exception.

Bands like Marillion have (IMO) got themselves stuck in a rut. They still sell albums but by crowd funding them before they record them. They have to be careful, what happens if they bring something out so diverse that the fans, who have already paid for it, don't like it?

Music is fickle. I don't think they could have continued to trot out the 70s stuff throughout the 80s and 90s. Once Phil Collins recorded solo, his new fans were bound to follow him back to Genisis and it would have been wrong financially not to take advantage of that by shifting musically.

Gabriel continues to be weird, if that's your bag.
[/quote]
Gabriel continues his search for truth and making a change in the world. Colins, being an actor, followed a showbiz path and the other members, who saw his massive album sales in the 80's, understood that they needed to appeal to a wider audience.

I first saw Genesis support Lindisfarne at the Green's Playhouse, Glasgow around 1971. Great gig. Both bands on top form. I think it was the Foxtrot tour but I may be wrong. PG was stunning. It took me a long time to get used to PC taking over but I don't think he did a bad job of it.

I have met Mike Rutherford a couple of times and he is a really top bloke.

Edited by Bassman Sam

I think an honest discussion of the good and bad points of music can be very enlightening, so long as it's conducted in an amicable fashion.
[/quote]

My natural state would be to tend to agree. However, real life has told me to keep well away from the bad points of music, as well as I can.
One reason, for example:
- Personally, I love Genesis music.
- Genesis music is patchy.
- I don't want the patchiness to ruin my appreciation of it.
- I stay well away from analysing it.
- I love Genesis music.

Success!

best,
bert

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1375993077' post='2168454']
They have to be careful, what happens if they bring something out so diverse that the fans, who have already paid for it, don't like it?
[/quote]

Then it would just be like a lot of music used to be. Your favourite group brought an album out and you went out and bought it before you had heard it, as there really wasnt anywhere to hear it.

Sometimes I miss that - I often hear of some band and then listen on youtube or spotify or whatever and am not immediately taken with it so I don't listen again. Back in the old days (when I had far less money), I would just buy it and listen to it, and some of the albums that I heard that didn't mean much to me the first time went on to be favourites later on. Almost like it had to be worked at.

Of course, the down side was that sometimes you never grew to like it!

Actually genesis before collins was like that for me, this thread has made me gone back and listen to some of the older stuff, and where I don't think it will ever fit in as something I will really love, some of it is pretty good.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1376000451' post='2168579']
Both Gabriel and Collins have truly inspirational moments of genius, however they are also quite twattish at times also. I must admit though "so" is one of my all time favourite albums.
[/quote]

Bang on. My introduction was Invisible Touch - I was 10 and completely disinterested in whether they looked/acted cool or not. Got the album for my xmas and was hooked on Anything She Does/Domino/The Brazilian. Explored the rest of the catalogue in later years.

Totally don't have the problem with Phil that other people do - I'd also have to say that I think Face Value is sublime.