Why become a member? ×

Finger style technique - right hand balance?

foxton4001

I've always wondered why some players extend their little finger on their right hand while player finger style

Is this bad or good techinque?

Can it cause problems in hands over time - or is it just for balance?

Herers an example of Andy Lewis;

[attachment=140717:1079111_694550190572235_1335671997_o.jpg]

Edited by foxton4001

I suppose it is just a habit, like how some people stick out their pinkie when drinking a cup of tea or coffee.

If it does not interfere with your playing and is not likely to cause injury (unlikely IMO) at any time, then I dont see any problem.

It's imperative to stick your little finger out like that. Not doing so can cause untold spinal damage later in life.

If you have problems with this I can, however, provide counselling and therapy services for a mere £125.00. Inc vat.

No, it is not a good technique and has nothing to do with 'balance'; it is quite inefficient.

Try this as a demonstration: Let your hand rest naturally, palm down on your lap - how does it look? Are there any 'saluting' fingers? No, I would suspect that the fingers all have a slight curl to them. This is how your hand feels when it is relaxed. Now stick your little finger up straight - can you immediately feel the tension and a little strain perhaps? With this tension present in the hand and forearm any other movement you are trying to execute will be hindered.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1376067636' post='2169350']
No, it is not a good technique and has nothing to do with 'balance'; it is quite inefficient.
[/quote]
This has been my personal experience, too. I worked on having a relaxed, slightly curled in ring and pinky finger and it made a significant difference to my speed and endurance. It was a tip I picked up from a Dave Marks video on YouTube and I'm glad I did.

Your mileage may vary etc. :D

• 3 months later...

[quote name='benthos' timestamp='1376323910' post='2172137'] This has been my personal experience, too. I worked on having a relaxed, slightly curled in ring and pinky finger and it made a significant difference to my speed and endurance. It was a tip I picked up from a Dave Marks video on YouTube and I'm glad I did. [/quote]

Yep, spot on with the Dave Marks reference.
A saluting pinkie can be an indication of tension in the hand, and if that is the case, it will definitely limit your right hand speed & dexterity.