Why become a member? ×

Share your achievements, accolades and finest moments!

Dood

Hey! Hi everyone!

Dood your *favourite Admin here!

So, spurred on over another thread, I was thinking that we do spend much of our time being modest and quiet about our achievements as musicians.

I really want to take the opportunity to say that I bloody love watching bass players, even my young beginner students bring much to learn from.

Yet, we seem to spend so much time 'reviewing' others yet not celebrating our own finest moments for fear of being commented on.

Here's what I'd love to do: Be bold and shout out loud what you feel is your best, favourite and finest moments in music. Tells us about what you are proud of. It doesn't matter if like me, one of your favourite gigs was actually playing to three people when all that could possibly go wrong had and that you made good of a bad situation, or that you've done 250,000 in Rio.

If you want to add a 'most embarrassing or worst' moment too, then go for it!

One of my favourites was when I was depping with a friend's band at a place called Jak's in Liverpool.

At the end of the night, a guy came over and told me how much he enjoyed my bass playing. I've never considered myself to be anything better than a jack of all trades, master of none. So I nonchalantly just said "thanks very much" and engaged in conversation with him, expecting him to be just a punter. It turns out he was the bass tutor in a University in Liverpool.

My estimation of myself suddenly rose a few levels.

It's made me realise I should be grateful for the praise, regardless of who it comes from. It's nice to know that whatever I've done has had an impact on someone, no matter how little.

Actually I've got a real one :D

Playing Scruffy Murphys in Watford, New Year's Ever 1998'ish. I notice the guitarist having a bit of a bad gig. Nothing major, he just couldn't find his mojo. So being a bass player and thus the only one actually listening to the rest of the band :D I stepped it up a bit, filled a few holes, took a couple of simple melodic solos etc.

During the obligatory, horribly cliched, "let me introduce the band" bit everybody got a nice cheer. Except me. I got a massive roar of approval replete with hoots and whistles :)

Made my night.

Now I think about it...it was possibly sarcastic cheering :(

And of course, the first time I heard one of my songs being played on the radio :)

Proud moments..? There's been a few, modestly. Here's a clip from our most recent concert, for a local village fête...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYDRS4o9qg[/media]

Not much, compared to the splendid venues that others frequent, but we, and the audience, enjoyed the event, and that's what counts...

Edited by Dad3353

Playing my first ever DB gig with former band Rattlin Bone, to a big and appreciative crowd .... never having played DB live before and having broken my left hand in a couple of places only 17 days before. To get through the gig, and to see people dancing and smiling throughout, was just such an incredible buzz

Stills from the gig here, incorporated into a YT video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFFwE0Njt7g

A gig at a place in Bolton called San San Studios (After it became crap and changed it's name from Soundhouse), i was sat on the edge of the stage for an acoustic section. I tried to jump back up onto the stage, didn't go high enough, so i ended up falling backwards. Hit my head twice on a cymbal stand, twisted my wrist, and got the crowd laughing. The best bit was afterwards, i recieved a few compliments on the fact that i managed that entire feat with missing a note.

Liam

I used to play double bass at a local folk session. One of the regular attendees is a guy who doesn't exactly mince his words if he doesn't like something. He'll say it's crap if he thinks so. In his own words he told me about a session he played at in Glasgow where the bass player was one of the DB players in the RSNO. He leaned over to his wife and said; "Where's Graham when we need him".? If you knew this guy you would understand how much of a compliment that was.

That kind of beats the worst gig I played. When it reached it's deepest depth I played in B when the singer sang in Bb. No-one else was playing at the time so nowhere to hide. Ah well...move on.

Does it count that I am miming to a track I didn't record? :D
(I played on the final version that went out with Prog mag though)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONtsRRlq9U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONtsRRlq9U[/url]

I also played some good shows with Dave before I broke my wrist last year and I played slap bass on the previous album available at all good book shops (iTunes then).

I was playing an open air gig last year. We were the first band on. As I was packing up, the bass player from the next band on came up to me and said "Some nice bass playing there mate!"
I sort of mumbled something about the sound being sh*t, and not being able to hear myself.
I guess I cant take a compliment and just say "Thanks mate!" :blush:

In my brass playing days I managed to blag a recording session with the Black Dyke Band. Although I didn't get asked back, only getting glared at once in 8 hours of sight reading was ok in my book.

Bass playing wise I played Cheltenham Jazz Festival twice this year, and the same client has had nearly 500k views of videos of gigs we've done together this year. Happy days, and testament to the art of blagging!

not bass playing but landing myself the gig of doing sound at ronnie scott's is something i'm immensely proud of

bass playing wise its probably playing with my current band kanobi knights doing a live web stream in front of thousands of viewers

[url="https://soundcloud.com/kanobiknights"]https://soundcloud.com/kanobiknights[/url] (in case anyone wants a listen)

I was playing at an open mic night with my band (singer, Pinball on guitar and me) and had a double-bass player sat right next to me watching me play and he came up afterwards and said "nice bass playing". Huge compliment from another player imo :)

Also, played a slot at a beer and cider festival, biggest gig I've done:

(bit windy out there so a bit of wind noise)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUZaFH3gLY&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Edited by Mornats

I guess it was recording our last CD at Sony's Whitfield Street studios in London the week after The Spice Girls recorded there, we must have sold at least 500 copies of it worldwide, although we were told at least one track was played on Radio 1 once at 2.35 in the morning....I could almost smell mega-stardom!