Why become a member? ×

Accelerated relicing

Geek99

I think the secret is to just handle it a lot...and badly!

Do the opposite of what you would do if you were trying to keep it mint. Wear a belt buckle, jackets with zips. put it down a bit harder than you would normally. Get it sweaty and don't wipe it off. Leaving it exposed to sunlight as previously mentioned is a good one.

Try not to use things designs to removed finish! Don't use sandpaper...rub it with some loose change...that kind of thing.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1375443706' post='2161410']
Naaa! These guys are all wrong, if you want it reliced you need to treat it like a baby, have attention to it, keep it safe from harms way, alway clean it and maintain it free from dust. That's when the big dings will start to happen!
[/quote]

:lol: that crossed my mind too

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1375443376' post='2161396']
I think the secret is to just handle it a lot...and badly!

Do the opposite of what you would do if you were trying to keep it mint. Wear a belt buckle, jackets with zips. put it down a bit harder than you would normally. Get it sweaty and don't wipe it off. Leaving it exposed to sunlight as previously mentioned is a good one.

Try not to use things designs to removed finish! Don't use sandpaper...rub it with some loose change...that kind of thing.
[/quote]

This would be my approach. This way any wear will be in genuine places for you, rather than contrived.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375442894' post='2161382']
If you've never done a relic job before the result is likely to be 'variable' at best. :)
Why not get someone to do it for you?

[url="http://www.guitarangel.co.uk/servicesDetail.php?Relic-work-10"]http://www.guitarangel.co.uk/servicesDetail.php?Relic-work-10[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks - I just wanted to start the ball rolling and break the surface on it.

Just watch yourself playing it, where your forearm rests polish it with T-Cut to thin the finish and eventually go through it. Same thing where it sits on your leg when you play sitting down.

Where you rest your thumb, wear that area out too...maybe even the top of the pickup you rest on. Round the lower edge of the fingerboard so it feels worn in. If you hook your thumb over the neck, round that off too.

Lay it down on hard floors (if you're sure no-one will step on it) and it'll scuff the edges when you pick it up. Belt buckles, rings, etc or fake some damage where you'd expect to see it.

If you play slap, scuff up the pickguard where you get your fingers in under the G and D strings.

But don't expect the finish to flake like a vintage nitro bass, that happens because the finish has completely dried out and become brittle, with some timber shrinkage thrown in too.

Edited by Fat Rich

I had a Jazz that was Finished in Nito and it lived on a stand by the french doors in my lounge for quite a while. It sat there basking in the sun all day while I was working and stuff and although it wasn't bashed when I got rid of it it had started to get that tint to the body.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375704701' post='2164441']
I want to slit my wrists after watching that! What a waste of 8 minutes of my life!
[/quote]

There are another six parts after that.

Perhaps not the most engaging public speaker... but as far as I can gather, he knows his stuff. (I couldn't watch it)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1375453684' post='2161646']
It's not a genuine fender, its a bitsa painted purposely in nitro to get it to relic quickly, and to be a fair replica. I'm not going to sell it,
[/quote]

Well, that's no good. Only Fender have the secret of how a bass turns from pristine to looking like sh*t in a fortnight. :D