Why become a member? ×

Accelerated relicing

Geek99

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375867609' post='2166575']
I personally think that Strat is overdone. It looks mingin! I reckon if you want to get an old looking guitar without putting it through years of "abuse", why not just buy a relic'd body from ebay? Theres loads going cheap enough
[/quote]

That's a real one.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375867609' post='2166575']
I personally think that Strat is overdone. It looks mingin! I reckon if you want to get an old looking guitar without putting it through years of "abuse", why not just buy a relic'd body from ebay? Theres loads going cheap enough
[/quote]

The patina looks like those horrible old Washburn lava crackle finishes. How the f*** can someone abuse a guitar that much over the years that it ends up in that state? And what's all that slobber and rust in the bridge? Disgusting!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375866554' post='2166556']
So could you buy modern Star Wars figures and relic them..?
[/quote]

You could do.

One of the funniest things about that hobby is that there was a huge market for the figures in countries where Kenner (the company who made them) didn't market them either directly or through a partner company (like Palitoy in the UK). So in countries like Turkey and Poland there were companies that made bootlegs. Some of these were quite funky, like those put out by the Turkish company Uzay:

These are now worth thousands of pounds, much more than the real figures, so there are now people trying to sell ordinary figures that have been painted to look like the bootlegs. Faking fakeness, if you like...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375789692' post='2165564']
Slightly off-topic...

So what's worse:

Fake ageing on a new instrument, or a refinish on one that is old and worn to make it look new again?
[/quote]
When I was a kid my Dad always nagged me to polish my shoes and my Mum nagged me not to drag them as I walked.

Nobody taught me to scuff the toes and scrape round the heels just in case I might catch on a kerb etc. So from the cradle, relic-ing my gear isn't what I was brought up to do.
I can understand Jaco having a relic instrument, he played well and well and he looked a mess. So we can imagine him playing that bass morning, noon and night.

I play crap. So me having a relic bass would look like I got it at a boot sale and I don't give a sh1t. That's just not me.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1375885944' post='2166950']
When I was a kid my Dad always nagged me to polish my shoes and my Mum nagged me not to drag them as I walked.

Nobody taught me to scuff the toes and scrape round the heels just in case I might catch on a kerb etc. So from the cradle, relic-ing my gear isn't what I was brought up to do.
I can understand Jaco having a relic instrument, he played well and well and he looked a mess. So we can imagine him playing that bass morning, noon and night.

I play crap. So me having a relic bass would look like I got it at a boot sale and I don't give a sh1t. That's just not me.
[/quote]

Yes, but do wear faded jeans for example? I don't think there are too mnay brands/styles of jeans being sold these days that do not have the pre-washed/worn look.

It a personal reference for people IMO.

At first glance the finish on the Strat looks like it's is made of reptile skin.

Re the Rory Gallagher one (I haven't managed to watch that vid yet), I read that although it was at one point stolen and then recoved outside in a wet ditch somwwhere, the aging is predominantly due to long term wear and tear and presumably acidic sweat.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1375866312' post='2166551']

This would certainly work to yellow it, as well as the plastic fittings (pickguard and knobs)

Yellowing is the bane of another, slightly sadder hobby that I used to have (honestly, used to), collecting Star Wars action figures. Original 70s/80s figures are often badly discoloured, particularly those with white plastic parts such as Stormtroopers. The UV in sunlight is the main culprit.
[/quote]
Top tip - conservatory cleaner restores the whiteness

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1375392500' post='2160798']
Keep playing it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1375428407' post='2160999']
Sadly real life is getting in the way
[/quote]

Send it on a basschat tour, we'll all gig the hell out if it for you and return it once we've knackered it!