Why become a member? ×

music man finish probs??

nosbig

Hi all,
New here.
I just wanted to know if anyone had the finish lifting and cracking on a stingray bass?
Ive a customer who bought one to my workshop and it was in a dreaful state!!

The black poly had massive cracks and was starting to peel. I removed it with an acoustic bridge knife (no solvents or anything)
Underneath was a layer of sticky green whatever it is lol???

I removed that and underneath was another layer of clearcoat.

I contacted MUsic Man and thier reply was `its delamination`.no really??

T

Yep - seen this before on an MM.

Finish lifting and cracking like exterior paint on a windowsill that hasn't been treated for years.

Almost like something has burst its way out of the wood and pushed up through the finish :(

Randomly running both vertically and horizontally on the same bass as well.

Never seen anything as bad on any other bass ever (and I've seen a lot!).

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1375039246' post='2156071']
Mine has a paint crack running from the neck pocket out. Not from a drop or ding it just happened at some point.

I have read several reviews on basses around the same age (07-11ish) with the exact same problem.
[/quote]

This is quite common on many bolt on neck instruments - the corner acts a (large) crack tip. This concentrates stress and thus starts a paint crack which is initiated by small movements created at neck pocket by playing the instrument. Aircraft (comet) and ships (liberty) failed in a similar way... a bass failure is unlikely to be catastrophic however.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1375039246' post='2156071']
Mine has a paint crack running from the neck pocket out. Not from a drop or ding it just happened at some point.

I have read several reviews on basses around the same age (07-11ish) with the exact same problem.
[/quote]

Not as uncommon as you'd think. I had a G&L L2500 do this overnight and a Fender J (though that one took a week or so) at the neck pocket. Purely cosmetic but you have the hassle of explaining that it's 'just in the paint' when you come to sell....