Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cab Handle Problems

Clarky72

Silliness aside: I've never actually owned a Barefaced cab (or a Potato Salad, or many other things that I don't like) but I've spent a long time with them at bashes, I've also played through one with my band and I've seen bands with a bassist that has been using a Barefaced cab. So consider my opinion well informed. I hope I am now validated in your eyes, Mr Wooks. Sir.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376564588' post='2176000']
If I was in an originals band that had aspirations of making it big would I be using the Compact? No way! Chances are it'd be a big Ashdown or Ampeg. Maybe Trace or Hartke or Peavey or Mark Bass or GK. Half of being professional is looking professional and those are manufacturers you see on big stages. And there's many more requirements above weight/portability in this market.

A function band? Again, probably not. I'd want something a bit more elegant and sophisticated looking than my current rig. The clients would be expecting a professional appearance of a certain quality for their money. In that situation I'd happily trade that for the ease of movement of the rig as it wouldn't need to be moved so quickly or so far.
[/quote]

You are seriously overestimating how much people are going to look at you. You are the bass player!!! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1376565004' post='2176022']
You are seriously overestimating how much people are going to look at you. You are the bass player!!! :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, (unlikely as it seems) I'm the tall, handsome one in my band :P

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376558076' post='2175822']
Wooks79 - I've never ever seen a Barefaced. My opinions came to me in a dream. Or maybe I read them through a hole in the top of a hat? I don't know.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply Toasted, I can happily place your opinions into perspective now ;)

...and I'd ask the same question if you were banging on about how much you loved them, as only a fool would take such a strong opinion on board without questioning their experiences or motives (not saying you have some hidden motive, you just don't feel barefaced are for you, fair enough)

As we've discussed, you don't need to validate anything to me, you might own ashdown gear and love it, whereas I hate it, but if you asked, I couldn't give you a rational reason why, and I would then expect you to take my opinions on ashdown with a pinch of salt!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376488320' post='2174734']
I don't consider myself a troll or to be trolling. So I guess I have to say something sensible now?

I don't rate Barefaced cabs. [i]Quelle surprise[/i]. They [b]ARE[/b] light but IME this is at the expense of a number of factors that come under the broad heading of "build quality" which have been well discussed on this forum.

I think the sound of the cabs is poor in comparison to other alternatives (Berg) but that's obviously a subjective personal opinion and therefore largely irrelevant.

Consider the Bergantino CN212 - 46lbs vs. the Super 12 T, 42lbs. There's 10% in it but that's only 4lbs. One has no build issues, one has many, many build issues.
[/quote]

A fair answer.

Of all the Barefaced competitors out there, you have definitely chosen the one that I'd look at most closely.

And it is undeniably better-finished.

I haven't played through a CN212 and I'd like to, so in fairness I'd have to reserve judgment until I knew what it sounded like and how loud it went.

All of which said, and even assuming that I were to end up at CN212 = or > Super 12, at that stage other factors would have to come into my thinking.

Not the least of those is that I routinely support Basschat-related businesses wherever I can. I've had pre-amps and pedals from DHA and [sfx], basses from Prosebass, cables from obbm, etc. etc. etc.

Bergantino are based a few miles north of Uxbridge. Trouble is, that's the Uxbridge in Massachusetts. I can't help but feel that I've already done as much as I can to try to pull the US economy out of recession. ;)

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376564588' post='2176000']If I was in an originals band that had aspirations of making it big would I be using the Compact? No way! Chances are it'd be a big Ashdown or Ampeg. Maybe Trace or Hartke or Peavey or Mark Bass or GK. Half of being professional is looking professional and those are manufacturers you see on big stages.

A function band? Again, probably not. I'd want something a bit more elegant and sophisticated looking than my current rig. The clients would be expecting a professional appearance of a certain quality for their money. In that situation I'd happily trade that for the ease of movement of the rig as it wouldn't need to be moved so quickly or so far.
[/quote]

What an odd attitude towards gear! :blink: I've played in original bands, pub bands and function bands. I've played through big stacks made by Trace Elliot, Ashdown and Ampeg. I have never had anyone comment on my gear being or looking "unprofessional". Generally, your clients and audience know nothing about music gear and especially bass gear. There are several members on here who play in function bands and use BF gear.

Of course, things could be different in your part of the world - but it's certainly not like that up here!

The idea of people preferring enormous, heavy gear that actually sounds inferior is quite mind-boggling! :blink:

As someone already said - nobody takes much notice of the bass player anyway! :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1376558554' post='2175838']
[size=3]Clearly the handles work fine and no owners have reported failures of any kind with the handles so what we are discussing is a difference of opinion about a purely cosmetic issue. [/size]
[/quote]

That is definitely not the case, there was a massive thread about a handle failure by a well known BCer, the issue was dealt with, but it also wasn't the only handle failure.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376567642' post='2176115']

The idea of people preferring enormous, heavy gear that actually sounds inferior is quite mind-boggling! :blink:

[/quote]

I think this attitude is a big part of what gets up people's noses about BF. Not all other heavier (or otherwise) gear sounds inferior. BF sounds good to my ears, but I don't think it's the last word in bass tone. Yes, for their size and weight they sound amazing, but if size and weight aren't an issue, there are rigs that sound as good if not better to me. They also look better made as well. I did say "look" better made. I have no concerns about the build quality.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376571303' post='2176205']Not all other heavier (or otherwise) gear sounds inferior. [/quote]

I didn't say that it did. I was referring to the gear that I have used. Although at the time I was happy with the tone from my Trace, Ashdown and Ampeg gear; none of them sounded as good as the tone I am now getting. I'm also not convinced that they look better. I think a lot of this is to do with familiarity - more people are used to seeing those three big brands (and others) on stage. Then they kind of knowingly nod their heads and think they know about bass gear. A few years ago, a MarkBass set-up would have got the same sneering response, but now they have been more accepted.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that my gear choices suit everyone. Of course they don't! I haven't tried everything by any means, but I have tried enough to know what I am talking about when I make a comparison between the BF gear I have used (Vintage and Compact) and the other stuff. The others are far bigger, far heavier and do not sound as good (to my ears).

I try to stick to the facts! If that gets up people's noses, then so be it. :(

Tone is a personal thing, most of our cabs are designed to mess with your tone as little as possible within the design bandwidth, whilst producing maximum output for their size. In most cases, great tone in equals great tone out.

Regarding finish related things, if we switched to 1/2" ply then the front corners would be easier to fit because of the larger edge radius but the bare enclosures would then be about 1/2" bigger in all directions and would weigh 30% more without sounding any better. If we hid the ports behind the grill then it would be much easier to make them look nice because the grill would hide the finish - but by having the grill blocking the ports the cab would start to compress and distort in the lows at a lower SPL than otherwise or we'd have to put in larger ports and make the cab much bigger. If we covered the cab with tolex then it would be less time consuming to make the cab look nice but the finish would be more easily damaged in most cases and impossible to repair.

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376572449' post='2176237']
The others are far bigger, far heavier and do not sound as good (to my ears).
[/quote]

...there in lies the rub! Many (inc' me) have tried other brands inc BF and come to the conclusion that X, Y or Z brand sounds better regardless of which is bigger/heavier/lighter/prettier/uglier. 'One man's meat...' ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1376572694' post='2176245']
. If we covered the cab with tolex then it would be less time consuming to make the cab look nice but the finish would be more easily damaged in most cases and impossible to repair.
[/quote]

From my point of view, although very well recommended the one thing that puts me off your product is the painted finish. I would much prefer a tolex finish. I have been used tolex covered since I started laying and with a suitable cover and reasonable care handling, the tolex on all my amps has stood up well.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1376575808' post='2176309']
From my point of view, although very well recommended the one thing that puts me off your product is the painted finish. I would much prefer a tolex finish. I have been used tolex covered since I started laying and with a suitable cover and reasonable care handling, the tolex on all my amps has stood up well.
[/quote]

For me though, while the painted finish isn't the most attractive finish I've ever seen, it's durable and easy to repair should any damage happen to it.