Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cab Handle Problems

Clarky72

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1374585460' post='2150492']
... it isn't that the handles are functionally falling apart but that the ends of the rubber sleeve, where the steel core goes into the plastic ends, are fraying ...
[/quote]

For the avoidance of doubt (and for the benefit of those who like to post on threads where they haven't actually read the previous posts) this was post #2.

A plastic or rubber sleeve splitting over its steel core is not a good thing, and I wouldn't welcome it any more than any of you would, but I'm not entirely convinced that it can be described as "falling apart".

The issue here is the time that the handle takes to start to tear appart. I believe that the handles from the pic i posted will be up and running for far longer time that the ones currently equiping the S12. It's not a real design fault on the cab, it's easier to lift it with the handles on that position but the handles weren't designed to be used in that position so they will eventually fail in a relatively short period.

When mine go away i'll take a good look in the market offerings and see if i can find a different solution that will also work propperly but will be able to last longer.

Don't believe the handles are failing (see post #2), they are wearing, seemingly in line with the amount of use it gets.
Love the sound of my Barefaced, it gets a LOT of use, maybe have to replace the handle once every 18months (as my first one lasted).
Had an Ashdown with a recessed handle and it sounded awful......what do I do? Maybe I should lobby Ashdown to change the sound of their cabs based on my personal preferences?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1376316844' post='2172011']
Lots of people looking to release their own line of flawlessly designed cabs by the looks of it :)

Si[/quote]

I only see people who expect when they pay big cash for premium products that they not fail within a year.

Edited by Toasted

Everyone who wants/needs a replacement handle can obviously have one free of charge. If our new handles work out and it's possible to retro-fit them then we'll sort out some upgrade kits.

Anyone who's waiting on parts, it's the summer holidays thus we're short-staffed and we're very busy - we will get them sent out! Have anyone's handles actually failed? No, they just look tatty and aren't as comfortable as before. It's annoying but it doesn't stop the cabs working whilst one of us here finds some time to get packages labelled and sent.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376319319' post='2172059']
I only see people who expect when they pay big cash for premium products that they not fail within a year.
[/quote]

You must be reading a different thread then. What I've read is someone raising an issue with the product they've bought that hasn't actually resulted in the product failing...it still works extremely well and the customer is very satisfied with that...and the manufacturer has offered a replacement handle at no charge. Everyone seems to be happy, apart from yourself who doesn't actually own one the cabs so is unaffected.

You are prone to exaggeration aren't you.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1376348316' post='2172761']
the 'loop' on the rubber bit splits at the end and then when the strap gets extended to its full range, gets caught on the metal cap and doesn't sit flat. [/quote]

And that, in some people's eyes, equates to a "failed cabinet"?!? :huh: :blink: :yarr:

No barefaced cab I have owned have had a handle split, but both have sounded amazing.

Problem? Not for me. Sounds a good trade off even if they did split after serious use anyway.

Those rubber handles have always been my least favourite on any cab they have been used on, but quite a few seem to use them, so what makes this a barefaced problem?

Sounds like a thread getting a bit derailed by a few who don't like barefaced to me.

Are the people waving pitchforks demanding that handles are all replaced free actually owners of barefaced cabs out of interest?

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1376394940' post='2173214']Sounds like a thread getting a bit derailed by a few who don't like barefaced to me.

Are the people waving pitchforks demanding that handles are all replaced free actually owners of barefaced cabs out of interest?
[/quote]

Good point. Most people who buy BF cabs are aware of the perceived short-comings (e.g. issues with the paint/finish, corners working loose, handles being a bit naff...) but are prepared to put up with them because of the benefits (e.g. excellent transparent sound, huge volume capabilities, extreme lightness...).

Even at this price point there are compromises to be made, but Alex has decided that the bulk of the cost goes on things that actually make a difference in the real world - i.e. top-notch drivers and well designed and made wooden boxes in which to house them and allow them to sing.

If you don't like the BF products, that's cool - no one product suits everyone. But to make sweeping negative statements based on a minor wear problem with a few OWNERS' cabs (when you don't own one yourself) seems rather petty and childish.

Edited by Conan

I think most of those who buy BF also take on the idea of it being a small concern who only sell direct (the markup on selling through 'normal' outlets would put them into another price bracket) and so are more tolerant of details such as parts of handles fraying, corners, feet etc as these are outsourced items, easily replaced and, although selected by BF are not primarily their design.

It's true, for that money there shouldn't be detail issues, but, for me at least, I feel the money has gone into one of the most expensive drivers you can find, an expertly designed box and port all made from materials which perform at least as well as anything else in the world and is life-changingly light. This is why I bought mine. The context of things like a bit of fraying from the handle is always important.

Also, if BF said 'oh well, like it or lump it' things may also be perceived to be different. But they haven't.

Can I be bothered claiming my new handle? Not at the moment.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1376397183' post='2173278']
It's true, for that money there shouldn't be detail issues, but, for me at least, I feel the money has gone into one of the most expensive drivers you can find, an expertly designed box and port all made from materials which perform at least as well as anything else in the world and is life-changingly light. This is why I bought mine. The context of things like a bit of fraying from the handle is always important. Also, if BF said 'oh well, like it or lump it' things may also be perceived to be different. But they haven't. Can I be bothered claiming my new handle? Not at the moment. [/quote]

Hear, hear. My Compact has been a life changer.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1376397183' post='2173278']Also, if BF said 'oh well, like it or lump it' things may also be perceived to be different. But they haven't. [/quote]

Do Alleva Coppollo make cabinets? ;)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1376397183' post='2173278']
I think most of those who buy BF also take on the idea of it being a small concern who only sell direct (the markup on selling through 'normal' outlets would put them into another price bracket) and so are more tolerant of details such as parts of handles fraying, corners, feet etc as these are outsourced items, easily replaced and, although selected by BF are not primarily their design.

It's true, for that money there shouldn't be detail issues, but, for me at least, I feel the money has gone into one of the most expensive drivers you can find, an expertly designed box and port all made from materials which perform at least as well as anything else in the world and is life-changingly light. This is why I bought mine. The context of things like a bit of fraying from the handle is always important.

Also, if BF said 'oh well, like it or lump it' things may also be perceived to be different. But they haven't.

Can I be bothered claiming my new handle? Not at the moment.
[/quote]

Exactly... and If you go back to my original post, I wasn't even complaining, merely seeing if anyone else had the same issue and I was just going to drop Alex a line if it was a common issue....ho hum!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1376402918' post='2173399']
Good thing you didn't mention the dirty fork ...
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Ahem... [pedant] and it was lucky you didn't say anything about the dirty knife. [/size] ;) [/pedant]

Edited by discreet