Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cab Handle Problems

Clarky72

Hi all.

Has anyone else had any problems with the handles on their Barefaced cabs at all?

I've had my gorgeous S12T for about 18 months, it is incredible, nothing like it, I just want to point that out as is this is not a moaning or bitching thread.

The only problem I've had is that the handles are falling apart. Has anyone else experienced this? I think its to do with the side handles sitting horizontally on the cab, and when you pick it up they really need to be vertical to take the weight evenly in my opinion.

Its not through misuse, the cab is kept in a Roqsolid cover and is treated lovingly at all times. Anyone else had any experience like this? If they have I think I'll drop Alex a line...

You're not the first person with this by any means! I presume, as with everyone else, it isn't that the handles are functionally falling apart but that the ends of the rubber sleeve, where the steel core goes into the plastic ends, are fraying?

We're looking to change the handles shortly, just need to test the new one we've chosen to make sure we don't jump from the frying pan into the fire.

If anyone wants some replacement handle parts, email us on [email protected]

Man, I can sympathise with this. It seems to be the curse of that style of handle. I've had ones like the ones that Alex use go, leather ones - e.g. vintage fender esque, rubber ones - the Fender "dogbone"... the only solution is the metal bars - but I know Alex has his reservations about those due to their presence inside the cabinet.

On the plus side, these handles are pretty cheap to replace... so yay!

Wow... Alex you're fast mate! I go for a coffee and a meeting, come back and you've replied on my thread!

Yes, it's exactly as you say, the rubber ends are fraying away. I'll drop you a line on the email right now.

Lightest cabs, loudest cabs, best customer service. Thank you Barefaced you lovely people! :D

You can always change to one of these:

These aren't recessed and won't disturbe the cab's functionality.

I also think that the handles in my S12T aren't the most "user friendly" ones i've encountered on a cab but i'll stick with the stock ones simply because i also have a roqsolid cover and don't want to spend even more money having it modded.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1374589305' post='2150559']
You can always change to one of these:

These aren't recessed and won't disturbe the cab's functionality.[/quote]

Prone to rattling as they get older - so functionally rather than aesthetically annoying - and they make the cab wider when carrying it which invites knuckle:doorframe interactions...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1374590380' post='2150583']
Prone to rattling as they get older - so functionally rather than aesthetically annoying - and they make the cab wider when carrying it which invites knuckle:doorframe interactions...
[/quote]

Valid points there. It's just a question of seeing wich would come cheaper in the long run. As for the knuckles i think the cab is very slim so in most doors we'll be safe. ;)

I had the same problem descibed in the OP after about a years heavy use. Alex kindly replaced the handle around 8 months ago, and this one is still going strong. Whether it's a slightly better batch of handle, or I'm carrying it differently I don't know. But yes, happy here either way, it's a moving part essentially, going to wear out if used a lot, but cheap to replace.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1374591099' post='2150596']Had you thought about the recessed handle Alex? Does it affect the sound movement inside the cabinet?[/quote]

Yes, thought about it many times and revisited it once again after we picked a recessed handle for the '69er which I really like. However it just doesn't work with the side-ported design because of the massive turbulence it causes and thus the air noise and loss of bottom you get from the port.

And that vertical slot port up the side of the cab works really well (low air speed for minimal compression, big radiating area for maximum efficiency, positioned so you can feel it, significant cooling for extra power handling and reduced compression, etc) so it's not something we'd change because of a handle. We'll see how durable this potential new strap handle is and if it's decent we'll see if it's possible to provide an upgrade kit at cost.

• 2 weeks later...

My solution would be one of the bar handles recessed into the top of the cab. As all the Barefaced cabs are so light and a one- handed lift, one handle recessed into the top would seem to make sense to me as it doesn't interfere with the airflow in the slot port.

PS Alex, if you decide to adopt this idea, there is no design fee from me, but a donation of a 'big one' will be gratefully accepted ;-)

Edited by JPJ

• 2 weeks later...

Strange there is obviously an issue with the handle as mine broke too. Yet the suggestion is to charge people who pay top money for what are sonically excellent cabs. Surely this could be classed as a design fault ?

Edited by Stealth

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376228637' post='2171017']
£870 cabs that fall apart after a year.

Manufacturer offers to sell users a remedy.

What a joke.
[/quote]

You really, [i][b]really [/b][/i]don't like Barefaced, do you?

A rubber sleeve fraying on some cabs = £870 cabs that fall apart after a year.

Had you considered getting a job at The Daily Express?

[size=4][quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376228637' post='2171017']£870 cabs that fall apart after a year. Manufacturer offers to sell users a remedy. What a joke.[/quote][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1376236607' post='2171135']You really, [i][b]really [/b][/i]don't like Barefaced, do you? [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Had you considered getting a job at The Daily Express?[/font][/color][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Given the level of intolerance, surely The Daily Mail would be more appropriate?[/size]

Edited by discreet