Why become a member? ×

** SOLD ** Fender '57 RI Precision - Made in Japan 93/94
£500

Gary Williams

Here we have a lovely Made in Japan Fender 57 Reissue Precision made in around 1993 / 1994 finished in 2 tone sunburst.

I'l be 100% honest, I bought this bass 2 weeks ago from Ashwood1985 - click [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211868-sold-fender-57-ri-precision-japanese-9394/page__p__2135397#entry2135397%22"]here[/url] to see the original post - as an experiment to see if I could get on with the thicker deeper neck and if I could also live with a "meat and potatoes" P bass.

What I wasn't expecting was to love the look, feel and sound of the 50s reissue style compared to the (infinitely more expensive!) Pino P Bass that I sold on here a couple of years ago due to it never being quite "right" for me.

So I am now on the lookout for a more expensive American Vintage version of this bass and think I have found one already hence this needs to be sold as it has served it's purpose.

But it is a testament to this fantastic bass that I need to move it on...... really authentic vintage woody P bass tones - not sure what the stock pickups are on here but they are great!

On playing this bass for the first time, the (beautifully aged honey colour) neck just felt "right" and I felt like I'd been playing the bass for years.

The scratchplate that came with it didn't fit properly so I have replaced this with a black (possibly Fender?) version and the bass now looks just right. Obviously the original (non Reissue) model came with the gold anodised scratchplates but these Japan versions according to the 1993 catalogue were shipped with white pickguards.

Take a look at Chris's post and you'll see that the bass had a fret stone and set up at The Bass Gallery recently.

Chris also mentions the headstock where the lacquer appears to have lifted slightly - see pics below. This is purely superficial and doesn't affect the playability of the bass.

There are the usual minor dinks in the paintwork as you can see in the pics but nothing major at all and pretty good nick I'd say for a 1993 model.

[i]"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The head's finish has lifted slightly as you can see. I have kept a very close eye on this and it's static (not getting worse) - I had Martin's opinion and he assured me it wouldn't do so. Secondly, the lacquer on the body has some hairline cracking. Not the wood of the wood joins. This is where the bass's wood must have expanded due to a sudden temperature change at some point and resettled. Again, the guys at bass gallery assured me its fine. It's the kind of thing I never notice when playing it, holding it or looking at it but I want to give all the details to you."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd like the [b]£500[/b] that I paid for this bass to put towards it's more expensive twin brother :0)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]NO TRADES PLEASE[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass has no case so it will mean local-ish meet up - I am based in West Sussex.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's the pics:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]