Why become a member? ×

Damien Hirst Fleabass (only ten grand)

dwh87

Two gentleman that divide opinion wherever they go.

My local art gallery has a Damien Hirst designed Fleabass for sale. Not quite the $50k that was the asking price a couple years ago for the multi coloured ones but the more "sensible" price of £10k. 125 of these have been made (and probably all look the same to the untrained eye) Crazy money since before Hirst jizzed paint over it the whole thing was worth £100. The only redeeming feature is up close the case looks bombproof, a real heavy looking so-and-so. Nowhere is the word Fleabass used, the model is described as Modular (kinda close to another brand)

Would that be the Drang Gallery in Padstow?
Was in there a few weeks back, they had a black one and a red/green one.
IMHO the cases looked better that the basses.
Wondered [s]who would buy this rubbish [/s]what the market id for this sort of thing, its not a good bass (for £10k anyway) and if there are 125 of four different models it's hardly exclusive collectable art.
Strangely though, the day before I saw them I was thinking to myself..if only I could get Banksy to paint my bass I could probably write my own cheque.

[quote name='Pukie' timestamp='1374495839' post='2149306']
Wondered [s]who would buy this rubbish [/s]what the market id for this sort of thing, its not a good bass (for £10k anyway) and if there are 125 of four different models it's hardly exclusive collectable art.
Strangely though, the day before I saw them I was thinking to myself..if only I could get Banksy to paint my bass I could probably write my own cheque.
[/quote]

I'd always assumed, as when galleries often put such up for sale, that it's another means of formating a donation.

[quote name='Pukie' timestamp='1374495839' post='2149306']
[/quote]

If you know Banksy well enough to paint your bass get him to do a canvas instead. You could write a much much bigger cheque ;)

Just a word of caution: a lot of these so called "runs" of Art are actually not done by said Artist but by minions to the style of the named Artist. OK, they may have his signature but they are unlikely to have been done by Mr Hirst. Now where did I put that can of Campbells Soup.....?

What a disappointment. There was i thinking that every 'Henry Moore' was sculpted solely by the man himself. I had a vision of 'our 'enry' up a ladder, hammer and chisel in hand bashing out another thing with a hole in it. As i said this has come as a great disappointment to me but then again i thought that every pre CBS Fender was solely hand crafted by Leo. :rolleyes: