Why become a member? ×

Mixing or matching pairs of speakers.

machinehead

What seems to be coming across here is that we must distinguish facts from opinions. And then make informed choices.

I really do appreciate the input from Bill, Alex and bassferret and others and they have all been most generous in their giving of good technical input. So, thanks to you all.

Frank

If it sounds good then it is good. But do you have the time to stand in every location vs the cab and in every different acoustic space you could be playing, to test that it remains consistently good?

"What is good and what is not good, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

"Bass players are the only users of amplification that will use different sized speakers for the same frequencies."

that bit is certainly opinion...

I know of plenty guitarists and have myself (guitarist) used 15" and 12" mixed, 12" and 10" mixed and Gibson's Goldtone range guitar amps have used a 12" and 10" mix for years... Many small combo amps with 8" or 10" internal speakers and external extension output (that doesn't cut out the internal speaker) are unlikely to be used with 8" or 10" extension cabs as there are few made...

a room will affect the sound from the different cab / speaker combinations anyway whether using same or different cabs - different reflections at the two cab heights etc... your position relative to them etc... I imagine if it were to be calculated, their would be differences at different altitudes as well? but howe many people do you know who adjust there tuner from A440? what difference in altitude would you need before you would have to alter this anyway? I don't know...

Most 'scientists' work in labatories, engineers design at a desk or bench, most musicians play in pubs, clubs and the like - that are usually far from ideal acoustically to begin with... - not been in many where they have acoustic engineers in... they too busy paying for their licenscing and stopping people taking their pints outside when they go for a fag...

I agree with chris's approach, as at the end of the day, most 'musicians' do not scientifically create music - or not when they start out, rather what sounds good works... and phase cancellations may actually be a desired effect - they've been selling them things for years too...

An engineers philosophy (often restrained by an accountant), is not always the best judge of what is right and wrong and the proliferation of small scale guitar and amp builders who cater more to personal tastes, kinda hints towards that too...

You can listen to 'opinion', 'fact' (like the world is flat - fair enough there are measureable responses and such - but mostly measured under lab conditions) and you can add these to your own personal experience (go the placve you intend to buy from or a couple of different places and try the different cabs with your rig - take note of different rooms and positions and take what seems like the best option that you can afford... as time goes by, you tend to become more informed and experienced and opinions and 'facts' both change as we all learn more... despite what scotty said, Jimmy managed to defy the laws of physics a few times I think, but then again that was just t.v. wasn't it...?

Quite often, what scientists can measure, people cannot hear and what people can hear, scientists cannot measure (we all have very different hearing ranges and peaks and troughs) hence why we all hear things differently - and we often will hear the same sound differently - all this is part of the 'science' of psycho acoustics...

Personally I find my taste changes as to what is ideal from time to time even with my gear left in same place in house - maybe its changes in humidity, ageing of components or just mood or just psychoacoustics again - that should cover it...

Is it really a conflict? thought that was in the Falklands...

Edited by male33lancs

• 4 years later...