Why become a member? ×

Status Quo

lojo

It's interesting that people say Quo turned into a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly act, given that their first incarnation was a hard-working holiday camp band. One might almost argue that the crunching boogie thing was a temporary aberration.

That said, I bow to no man in my admiration not only for their classic mid-period material but also for Rossi and Parfitt's willingness to do whatever is necessary to keep the band going. Yes, the cabaret stuff is anodyne; IIRC Rossi is on record as viewing this as a short-sighted approach sold to them by a manager with whom they have since parted company. And they have made some other questionable choices; playing Sun City at a time when it was profitable but unpopular; wearing white socks with black shoes; playing up to the 'loveable dimbo' image; this movie.

Nevertheless, one should not stint praise to an act that continues to enjoy considerable success in the face of adversity while retaining a characteristic modesty and a solid work ethic.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1374326052' post='2147602']
It's interesting that people say Quo turned into a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly act, given that their first incarnation was a hard-working holiday camp band. One might almost argue that the crunching boogie thing was a temporary aberration.

That said, I bow to no man in my admiration not only for their classic mid-period material but also for Rossi and Parfitt's willingness to do whatever is necessary to keep the band going. Yes, the cabaret stuff is anodyne; IIRC Rossi is on record as viewing this as a short-sighted approach sold to them by a manager with whom they have since parted company. And they have made some other questionable choices; playing Sun City at a time when it was profitable but unpopular; wearing white socks with black shoes; playing up to the 'loveable dimbo' image; this movie.

Nevertheless, one should not stint praise to an act that continues to enjoy considerable success in the face of adversity while retaining a characteristic modesty and a solid work ethic.
[/quote]

Good points!
I really did enjoy the crunching boogie earlier this year with the original lineup - nothing played that was recorded after 1976!Mostly album tracks & there were complaints that there was no Rockin' All Over The World etc.
Saw the " new" line-up recently and you can't deny they do a great show - no staring at the floor looking bored/moody for the Quo!!! Let's Rock!

[quote name='genendeddie' timestamp='1374244831' post='2146861']
.... Quo Live is probably the greatest Live album ever (mmmm maybe not but its right up there)
[/quote]

Its a great album and really captures the spirit of the band .

I love that they still do plenty of gigs and play proper theatres , they tour every year and in venues where the sound is decent. They still cut live well enough to make the night a party .
I was hoping to go to an outdoor gig near Crewe next month , but I am away .

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1374432272' post='2148682']
I say, I say, I say. What do call a guitarist with no nose???
[/quote]

Anything you like, he can't hear you? Oh hang on, that's a drummer with no ears! :lol:

I don't know, Mr Adams, what do you call a guitarist with no nos?