Why become a member? ×

Recording newbie requires help.

bedrovelse

Hi Guys. I'm pretty new to this recording game.

Here's what I've got going at the moment.

Instrument -> Behringer USB Guitar Link -> Garageband.

The quality of the recording is not that great and the bass tone (or lack of) is not so good, and I want to dabble into making some music. Instrumental style, with keys, drums. (Drums from samples or made using the software)

I'm also looking at maybe sacking Garageband and using Reaper, as I've heard good things on BC.

What can I use to replace my Behringer? As I just don't feel it's working.

Any information on best cause of action, will be appreciated.

Thanks.
If I've missed something you need to know, let me know.

What you need to replace your Behringer depends on how many channels you're wanting to record. I use a Lexicon Alpha, which is just a stereo USB interface (Guitar and mic input, or line level for keyboards), running into Reaper, and i do all of my tone shaping using VST's in Reaper. I wouldn't recommend the Alpha though. It is a good interface, but there's much better out there, such as the Focusrite Scarlett series and M-Audio stuff.

Liam

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374227255' post='2146581']
I use Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP - would recommend it or any other Focusrite gear - Built well, looks great and sounds even better. PM your email address i can send you a few samples recorded using it if you like.
[/quote]

although there is still much better quality out there if you wanna spend some serious bucks

Hi, I wouldn't be in a rush to ditch Garageband. It's famously newbie-friendly, and I recently learnt that Donald Fagen does his demos using it!

However if you buy a new interface you may find it's bundled with a cut-down/trail version of another DAW, so you'd be able to play/explore/compare with GB before taking the plunge.

[quote name='bedrovelse' timestamp='1374228125' post='2146595']
I'm just testing the waters at the moment, don't particularly want to spend too much.

What software do you use with it?

PM sent. Cheers.
[/quote]

I am currently using Logic Pro debating to upgrade to version X or not hmm....I have not used garage band before so i cant really comment on it.

Yeah to be honest there is no point spending loads of money on an interface unless you have equally good gear - mics, monitors, proper room for mixing etc. The Focusrite interface I find is prefect for bedroom type studio, just make sure you check if your computer has correct out puts for the interface you buy for example Focusrite saffire range only has firewire connection not USB. If your using PC you will probably need to get a PCI fire wire card... or just buy an interface with USB which is fine.

Have a look at this, its a great website to compare recording gear and gives some good advice might help you make a decision:

[url="http://tweakheadz.com/audio-interface-firewire-comparison-chart/"]http://tweakheadz.co...mparison-chart/[/url]

Edited by JamesFlashG

A lot of decent starter kit out there, m-audio is Ok , focusrite is OK etc etc

You need to sit down and think firstly what are you ever going to record, if its just you layering stuff then a 2 channel interface is the way to go for sure. At your level anything mentioned will work fine, when you want to move up then, if you are still only looking to overdub yourself, I would hugely recommend the RME Babyface, its just about as good a 2 channel interface as you can get.

As for software, Garageband is fine for demos and getting used to the idea of recording, but it is wanting when it comes to serious recording or mixing. At that point there is a lot of software to choose from, I tend to bang on about Reaper because it works very very well, is unbelievably lightweight and resource light, is free to try and only about £35 to buy, yet does everything you need it to. And it runs on Macs and Windows.

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374230417' post='2146632']
I am currently using Logic Pro debating to upgrade to version X or not hmm....I have not used garage band before so i cant really comment on it.

Yeah to be honest there is no point spending loads of money on an interface unless you have equally good gear - mics, monitors, proper room for mixing etc. The Focusrite interface I find is prefect for bedroom type studio, just make sure you check if your computer has correct out puts for the interface you buy for example Focusrite saffire range only has firewire connection not USB. If your using PC you will probably need to get a PCI fire wire card... or just buy an interface with USB which is fine.

Have a look at this, its a great website to compare recording gear and gives some good advice might help you make a decision:

[url="http://tweakheadz.com/audio-interface-firewire-comparison-chart/"]http://tweakheadz.co...mparison-chart/[/url]

this too

[url="http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-intelligently-buy-the-best-audio-interface-for-your-home-studio/"]http://tweakheadz.co...ur-home-studio/[/url]

just have a browse around that website I find it really useful
[/quote]

Edited by JamesFlashG

[quote name='bedrovelse' timestamp='1374220936' post='2146495']
Hi Guys. I'm pretty new to this recording game.

Here's what I've got going at the moment.

Instrument -> Behringer USB Guitar Link -> Garageband.

Are you using studio monitors?
The quality of the recording is not that great and the bass tone (or lack of) is not so good, and I want to dabble into making some music. Instrumental style, with keys, drums. (Drums from samples or made using the software)

I'm also looking at maybe sacking Garageband and using Reaper, as I've heard good things on BC.

What can I use to replace my Behringer? As I just don't feel it's working.

Any information on best cause of action, will be appreciated.

Thanks.
If I've missed something you need to know, let me know.
[/quote]

In answer to the people suggesting the only time you could want a serious interface I would point out that until I got my RME UCX I was always aware of a certain level of instability in the way the interface and the computer interacted. The latency of everything I tried before wasnt so great either.

Not always unusable, but lets saying occasionally annoying none the less.

Whilst you wouldnt realy benefit hugely from the fab mic pres, exceptional ADA conversion and the really clever software interface that the RME brings, you would [i]definitely [/i]benefit from the unmatched driver stability whether you were recording yourself for your own enjoyment or trying to record a band a bit at a time.

Cheers for all the help guys.

I ended up going for the Apogee One for Mac, which I brought from a fellow BC member.

Wanted an audio interface, but with the additional mic I can record acoustically and with the whole band together for rough demos/writing ideas.
It wasn't until I started looking at the suggestions did I realise what I needed/wanted.

I'll see how Garageband goes, but I may convert to Logic Pro, now that I've upgraded my mac.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='bedrovelse' timestamp='1374747241' post='2152645']
Cheers for all the help guys.

I ended up going for the Apogee One for Mac, which I brought from a fellow BC member.

Wanted an audio interface, but with the additional mic I can record acoustically and with the whole band together for rough demos/writing ideas.
It wasn't until I started looking at the suggestions did I realise what I needed/wanted.

I'll see how Garageband goes, but I may convert to Logic Pro, now that I've upgraded my mac.

Thanks guys!
[/quote]
Good choice. Great mic on the a1. You should see a massive difference compared to the behringer. Gband is cool as long as its for home learning etc.

Using the behringer always put me off recording, because it was direct from the bass and the tone was terrible. It may sound a little better from an amps D.I, but I found it hard to use to record. Almost soul destroying. :)

Having read the blurb and viewed some youtube videos I'm excited to get cracking with the One, looks like a good product.

[quote name='bedrovelse' timestamp='1374751833' post='2152730']
Using the behringer always put me off recording, because it was direct from the bass and the tone was terrible. It may sound a little better from an amps D.I, but I found it hard to use to record. Almost soul destroying. :)

Having read the blurb and viewed some youtube videos I'm excited to get cracking with the One, looks like a good product.
[/quote]
Excellent. You won't regret buying it. They hold their secondhand value as well. If you paid about £100 it will be worth that for a few years yet, so once you move on you won't make a loss.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374748418' post='2152669']
Gband is cool as long as its for home learning etc.
[/quote]

Actually you can do an awful lot with Garageband, if you get into it there is a lot under the hood with the instruments available.
and I don't mean using (supplied] loops.

A couple of examples from someone on YouTube.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmlA1Gn0fY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmlA1Gn0fY[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02BX2Yg5W0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02BX2Yg5W0[/url]